Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What does Gus change for Birmingham?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
An encouraging performance last night- we passed them to death but just lacked that pass from midfield to set the strikers away.
I think Jara Reyes is exactly the type of player we need judging by his performance yesterday, however, I would be inclined to put him in the centre, as his passing, movement, strength and tackling seem far superior to Dicker, Sparrow or Harley's.
Assuming Vicente is fit, I would want us to line-up like this:

------------------Harper-------------------
---Vincelot----Greer------Dunk------Painter--
-----------Jara Reyes-------Bridcutt---------
------------------Vicente-------------------
-----Buckley--------CMS---------Noone-----

The link between the midfield and attack simply was not there yesterday, so I reckon by using two holding players, Vicente would be allowed more freedom in playing a CAM role to put in those killer through balls to the front three.
What do you reckon?

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
---Vincelot----Greer------Dunk------Painter--
-----Buckley--------CMS---------Hoskins-----

:thumbsup: I still stand by what I said before the season started. Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was who we needed. :nono:

Last edited:

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Hoping for:

-------------------Harper-----------------
--Calderon----Greer------Dunk----Painter--
--------Jara Reyes---------Bridcutt--------
----Vicente---------------------Noone----
---------------CMS------Hoskins----------

Think we will get:

--------------------Harper-----------------
--Jara Reyes----Greer-----Dunk----Painter--
--------------------Bridcutt----------------
-----------Sparrow----------Harley--------
----------------------------------Noone----
---------------CMS------Barnes----------

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
whatever squad is picked we NEED to play with two attacking wingers. Last night for the majority of the game noone was our only creative option in midfield. although bridcutt, sparrow, and dicker are all decent players they are too defensive and dont offer much going forward. This means CMS and Barnes are left stranded and have too drop deep to collect the ball, before they can even think about carving out a chance.

also, last night the defence seemed to be sitting way too deep, leaving a big gap between them and the midfield. This gave the likes of nolan and faubert too much space to sit on the ball and calmly pick out passes to their strikers. this happened in the liverpool game, and as soon as we closed this gap the opposition midfield had no space to be creative and we dominated the midfield.

:bhasign::bhasign::bhasign:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
---Calderon----Greer------Dunk------Vincelot--

I want to see KLL appear at some point too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He needs to tell the players that it's ok to hit teams at pace on the break occasionally and try and finish it with a shot and not a pass back to the half way line ?

Last edited:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003

I love this line up but I fear it may be too attacking for an tricky away game like Brum.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Would be VERY excited to see that formation/team on Saturday.

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
---Calderon----Greer------Dunk------Painter--
-----Vicente--------------------------Noone-----
----------------Hoskins------------------------
-----------------------------CMS--------------

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Hoping for:

-------------------Harper-----------------
--Calderon----Greer------Dunk----Painter--
--------Jara Reyes---------Bridcutt--------
----Vicente---------------------Noone----
---------------CMS------Hoskins----------

Think we will get:

--------------------Harper-----------------
--Jara Reyes----Greer-----Dunk----Painter--
--------------------Bridcutt----------------
-----------Sparrow----------Harley--------
----------------------------------Noone----
---------------CMS------Barnes----------

You're right.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
whatever squad is picked we NEED to play with two attacking wingers. Last night for the majority of the game noone was our only creative option in midfield. although bridcutt, sparrow, and dicker are all decent players they are too defensive and dont offer much going forward. This means CMS and Barnes are left stranded and have too drop deep to collect the ball, before they can even think about carving out a chance.

also, last night the defence seemed to be sitting way too deep, leaving a big gap between them and the midfield. This gave the likes of nolan and faubert too much space to sit on the ball and calmly pick out passes to their strikers. this happened in the liverpool game, and as soon as we closed this gap the opposition midfield had no space to be creative and we dominated the midfield.

:bhasign::bhasign::bhasign:

Don't agree that we need to play 2 wingers. Yes Buckley and Noone could play but Buckly would have a more central role. So, as below but with Buckley playing deeper. Would have Hoskins on the bench instead of Barnes.So subs would be ankergren, painter, harley, hoskings and maybe kll.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What does Gus change for Birmingham?

His lucky pants?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We are crying out for some muscle up front. Gus said as much post match, I know its been done to death. He obviously does not see Barnes or Hoskins as a natural partner for Cms and given their lack of muscle he is probbley right...But Cms needs a partner up front and he needs one quick.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Bear in mind Brum are playing Leeds tomorrow night and have had a tight schedule of league and europa games recently. Maybe we do need to play a more attacking formation on saturday.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Sorry posted this on another thread in error.

Originally Posted by Sneaky George
Much, much better tonight. We're going to be fine even if we lose on Saturday. We are a work in progress. Tonight's thoughts:

1) We lack creativity and guile against the top teams. Vicente is already a very important player for us and was missed tonight. He might have unlocked a very stubborn West Ham defence.
2) We are still not playing to CMS strengths. Can we not put a little though balls through to him more often? He thrives on running onto forward passes. Currently, he's operating at about 50% of what he can do.
3) Reyes is a class act. Got up and down well and can pass. What future Calderon though? Something has happened between him and Gus...
4) Craig Noone needs to take a second and have a look at what is happening around him & who is on for a cross/pass. He's been brilliant this season but needs to sort this out when others are in better positions.
5) Harper is a fitting goalkeeper for us in The Championship. We need to get him signed up for the rest of the season asap with "a view to a permanent deal." Has easily got another 3 or 4 years in him.

On the other hand, what would be wrong with going for an attacking formation ( and I am not going to start on the " So and So" is rubbish better we have ******) . Why not go for an option which would prove or disprove the theory if it is generally considered we have nothing to lose.

Only a thought !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here