Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What does "fixtures" mean

_mark_

Aug 24, 2011
People always mentioning this at random points during a thread and I would like to know the reason why.

Thanks in advance.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
When someone posts a new thread that has already been started previously!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It stems from YEARS ago, when it just seemed that barely a day went passed without someone (re-)asking "when are the fixtures coming out?"

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
it means the stuff being posted has already been on NSC (comes from posts about fixture lists a few years ago)

edit: FIXTURES....!!!!!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Fixtures.... Kanchelskis was the other from years ago

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
People always mentioning this at random points during a thread and I would like to know the reason why.

Thanks in advance.

It's an "hilarious" injoke. Basically during the summer there are multiple threads asking when the fixture list will be published. Fixtures has therefore come to denote a duplicate thread. So for example if you were to start another thread today about Vokes signing someone would inevitably post fixtures on it to denote that the topic has already been discussed.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Has this now been adopted as a dictionary definition meaning for the word "fixtures" as if not it should be. Campaign should start here.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
'Fixtures' isn't used nearly as much as it should be. Maybe it's my rose tinted specs, but I seem to remember people being fixtured on pretty much every thread going. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be etc.

I like "Binfest" as well -the global interweb defines it as "An argument on an internet mesageboard that soon spirals out of control with everyone getting involved, and in the end no-one really knows what the argument was about !!!".

I believe that there are some on this site who consider that the word is an NSC invention - is there evidence for this and are the mods able to identify when it was first used? Be nice to get it in the OED if it isn't there already.

"Vincente, will he play/is he injured again" is another one but I don't think this will ever get into the OED.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here