Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what does everyone reckon..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
really? havent we sold 4,000 TST tickets though? i was thinking around 10-15,000 but as i said its my first world cup so not sure really. All i know is getting flights out there was tough and internal flights have caused nothing but misery.

The FA will still have a large allocation to hand out through official channels, I should be guaranteed for any games I want where the FA have about 3500-4000 tickets for.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
We are told that during the World Cup, there will be thousands more police around than normal - they are certainly recruiting heavily. As long as you stay where other World Cuppers are staying, I'm pretty sure security will be fine. It will probably be residents who have an increase in crime, if there is an increase! You sound worried about Jo'burg and yes, it aint a very nice place, so stay outside Jo'burg if you can.

The 19 hour trip to Cape Town sounds about right - be aware that you will be driving on one of the most boring roads in the World, so dont expect to see a lot except rocks and red dust!!

From what Springal says, its sounds like a package deal with a travel agent would be your safest bet if you are worried.

to be honest i cant wait to see Cape Town as it doesnt seem as unsafe as maybe Jo or Durban and looks beautiful,its just bloody getting there. I know 20 year old girls travelling together and others that have had to wait in Jo Burg and survived it so im not too worried. whether its train or coach we will have to wait in Jo-Burg for a few hours. My friends said they didnt fancy moving about in the city so just stayed in a restaurant in the bus station. The only way to avoid hanging around in Jo Burg which might sound stupid but hopefully you can shed any light is going up to Pretoria and starting our coach journey from there? apparently its much safer and is only 50 mins-1 hour away from J-Burg...or does that sound pointless?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I read somewhere the other day that a woman is raped every 40 seconds in South Africa.

That poor bitch.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
to be honest i cant wait to see Cape Town as it doesnt seem as unsafe as maybe Jo or Durban and looks beautiful,its just bloody getting there. I know 20 year old girls travelling together and others that have had to wait in Jo Burg and survived it so im not too worried. whether its train or coach we will have to wait in Jo-Burg for a few hours. My friends said they didnt fancy moving about in the city so just stayed in a restaurant in the bus station. The only way to avoid hanging around in Jo Burg which might sound stupid but hopefully you can shed any light is going up to Pretoria and starting our coach journey from there? apparently its much safer and is only 50 mins-1 hour away from J-Burg...or does that sound pointless?

I think it depends on how long you have to wait for the coach and where you have to go in Jo'burg to get on it. Some parts of Jo'burg are fine. Just be on your guard, wherever you are. Just because Cape Town has a lower crime rate does not mean to say that there is no crime.

The coach will probably stop between Jo'burg and Pretoria as well (somewhere in Midrand), so that is an option, as is Pretoria. But if you are only having to wait a couple of hours in a decent part of Jo'burg, I would go for that - the road between Jo'burg and Pretoria is the busiest in the country and is the only road here that resembles the M25 traffic wise, so you can get stuck on it.

I re-iterate, parts of Jo'burg are fine - a friend of ours lives 5 minutes from Hillbrow (a dump) and she has not had any trouble at all in the 5 years she has been there. Find out where you can catch the coach from and get back to me and I will get a concensus from the locals here who go to Joburg regularly (cos I have only been twice in 5 years!!)

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
f***ing carry a knife on you or something. Anyone who is a darkie is NOT to be trusted, if you are suspicious just f***ing stab the shit out of them. It isn't a crime over there so its ok.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
f***ing carry a knife on you or something. Anyone who is a darkie is NOT to be trusted, if you are suspicious just f***ing stab the shit out of them. It isn't a crime over there so its ok.

ok wicked il bare that in mind:laugh: nothing like a few stabbings to start the trip

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I think it depends on how long you have to wait for the coach and where you have to go in Jo'burg to get on it. Some parts of Jo'burg are fine. Just be on your guard, wherever you are. Just because Cape Town has a lower crime rate does not mean to say that there is no crime.

The coach will probably stop between Jo'burg and Pretoria as well (somewhere in Midrand), so that is an option, as is Pretoria. But if you are only having to wait a couple of hours in a decent part of Jo'burg, I would go for that - the road between Jo'burg and Pretoria is the busiest in the country and is the only road here that resembles the M25 traffic wise, so you can get stuck on it.

I re-iterate, parts of Jo'burg are fine - a friend of ours lives 5 minutes from Hillbrow (a dump) and she has not had any trouble at all in the 5 years she has been there. Find out where you can catch the coach from and get back to me and I will get a concensus from the locals here who go to Joburg regularly (cos I have only been twice in 5 years!!)

it would be 'Park station' in central Jo-Burg.and the wait would be around 4 hours? Iv been told best bet is to stay in the station rather than wander about around that area?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
it would be 'Park station' in central Jo-Burg.and the wait would be around 4 hours? Iv been told best bet is to stay in the station rather than wander about around that area?

Park Station is the main transport hub in the centre of Jo'burg. As such, I would guess that loads of people will end up there, so security should be alright. But it is in the centre of the city, so I would not go wandering off. Any idea where else the coach stops on the way? How are you going to get to Park Station?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Park Station is the main transport hub in the centre of Jo'burg. As such, I would guess that loads of people will end up there, so security should be alright. But it is in the centre of the city, so I would not go wandering off. Any idea where else the coach stops on the way? How are you going to get to Park Station?

cheers for the help KZN,pm me if you want to save this thread from getting boring for everyone.Yeah it seems park station is pretty large and busy so we will prob stick around there rather than head into Jo-Burg downtown area??? getting from airport to park station i have not yet looked at but i know i dont want to be dropped off 'near' the bus station and i realise i must get it sorted so advice on that would also be appreciated? apparently its around 24km journey but we wont mind paying a bit as long as its safe and we get there.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/travel/2577487/England-fans-ready-for-South-Africa-2010.html
Managing director Nathan Wilson says: "We have identified that the DIY approach will not be a practical solution for this World Cup. Securing accommodation in South Africa on an individual basis is difficult and internal transportation is impractical, with a lack of
travel options between the nine host cities."

From the official site
I have Tickets. How do I get accommodation?

A wide variety of hotels, bed and breakfasts, guest houses and game lodges are available in South Africa. Accommodation can be secured directly from these establishments, through tour operators, accommodation websites and other sources. The 2010 FIFA World Cup™ Accommodation Office (FWCAO), which is a trading name of MATCH Event Services (Pty) Limited, has a significant inventory of accommodation as well. For information, please visit the following link:

FIFA.com - 2010 FIFA World Cupâ„¢ Accommodation

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
cheers for the help KZN,pm me if you want to save this thread from getting boring for everyone.Yeah it seems park station is pretty large and busy so we will prob stick around there rather than head into Jo-Burg downtown area??? getting from airport to park station i have not yet looked at but i know i dont want to be dropped off 'near' the bus station and i realise i must get it sorted so advice on that would also be appreciated? apparently its around 24km journey but we wont mind paying a bit as long as its safe and we get there.

No probs.

Forgot completely about the Gautrain - this is a new high speed rail link between Oliver Tambo Airport and Jo'burg/Pretoria currently under construction. Airport link will go from Airport to Sandton, where you will change to go to Park Station. So, if this is up and running (which it should be as it is the key transport project for Jo'burg 2010), this will be the main way of getting World Cuppers into the City and as such, should be as safe as houses.

This is Africa, however, so they will probably be on strike :p

PM me if you want to know anything else and I will try to find out for you. Suggest you get your accomodation sorted out pronto if you have not already done so.

Most importantly - dont worry, you will have a great time I'm sure!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here