Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you think.....

Lee D'su.

Sep 5, 2005
... were the reasons for Leeds getting a 15 point deduction at the beginning of the season. I was talking to a Gillingham fan who had no idea but said "Leeds deserved it" without knowing what actually happened. Do you know what happened? Does anyone know the rule that Leeds were deducted points for? And what of your chairman, would you think he voted for, or against the 15 points being taken from us? I, and I know a lot of other football fans have given Brighton their good wishes in the past. A few Brighton fans have formed friendships in Wrexham, where I live, when they were going through their bad times. It seems Leeds, due to our team/fans/chairman/colour of our kit, now and in the past, has meant fans of other clubs have laughed at our plight. Hey ho.

ps. Is the pub by the ground still home only, I wanted to meet a mate who is a Brighton fan before the game.

pps. Another sell out. We're not famous any more.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I think the problem people have with Leeds is the fact that they have screwed over lots of creditors by 'living the dream' (including St Johns ambulance, Childline to name but two) and this is why they feel the penalty is deserved. Wrexham on the other hand were being raped by a crooked chairman who had no care for the club but just wanted personal gain, much like our one of a few years ago.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
You were given the 15 point deduction for not having the correct procedures in place when the club was sold and then re-purchased by Ken Bates, not really the teams fault but more of the fat arrogant twat who owns the club.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There were many Bristol Rovers shirts on view in there before that game.

Also under new legislation it is illegal to be under the influence of alcohol and enter a sports stadium. Under the influence using drink drive as a yard stick is under 2 pints!!!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Ive ALWAYS seen AWAY fans in there for as long as I can remember!

Infact, I cant remember if it has ever acctually been HOME ONLY!

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Ok then, not been for a few years, always had the impression that it was Albion fans only.

Well you do learn something new everyday I suppose then.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I thought that the club were unable to comply with the football leagues insolvency policy and thus they were only to be handed their share if they were to suffer a 15 point deduction.

I would hope that Dick Knight would have voted FOR the deductions. There is no place in football for mismanagement and where would we be if rules were ignore or flouted? Whilst I have every(?) sympathy for the club, rules are rules and guidelines must be met. Why should rules be bent to suit a certain club? 15 points was never going to ruin Leeds. They got away very lightly and Ken Bates played a very good game.

The Sportsman is accepting of away fans, but we have doormen and it probably depends on the clientele. I don't think anyone has been turned away this season, but it tends to be families and bobble hatters that frequent the Sportsman. Do NOT expect a quick pint!

Another sell out? This is our first. :jester: It seems there will be a fair few Leeds in the home sections. Squeezing the opponents finances is obviously working well.

Lee D'su.

Sep 5, 2005
I think the problem people have with Leeds is the fact that they have screwed over lots of creditors by 'living the dream' (including St Johns ambulance, Childline to name but two) and this is why they feel the penalty is deserved. Wrexham on the other hand were being raped by a crooked chairman who had no care for the club but just wanted personal gain, much like our one of a few years ago.

The rule for going into administration is 10 points. Wrexham were forced into it by a crooked chairman, but Bates took Leeds into administration before they were technically relegated. The Football League cannot close a loophole after it has been used. They used the excuse of the CVA not being followed as the reason for deducting 15 points yet it is a different "company" who run Leeds now. If anything the administrators messed up, not Leeds. The CVA couldn't be agreed because the taxman wanted more money, yet he's dropped the case now. Surely the football League should be fighting for clubs who are struggling to pay the taxman and not using rules to ensure the taxman can dictate the outcome of any CVA. It's a sad precedent that the FL have adopted.

Wrexham........ being forced out of the ground by someone who wanted to build houses on there. - 10 points.

Leeds. Mismanagement on a big scale, no ground, no money to pay players. - 10 points.

What I am trying to say is that it is the clubs that need help that are suffering because of the likes of Leicester who built a new ground, went into admin and then carried on without a hitch, whilst clubs who are genuinely struggling are penalised, and penalised by chairmen who themselves are having to work all week to keep themselves above water. (including risdale who was allowed to vote in the FL kangaroo court).

I have followed your plight about getting a new ground and we still have a couple of posters on our web site (www.606rebels.com) and I wish you well in the future but you will not be surprised to hear that I wish you well after sat.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Leeds. Mismanagement on a big scale, no ground, no money to pay players. - 10 points.

But they couldn't guarantee or comply with the terms of the insolvency policy of the football league. In reality, the 15 points meant they got away with it lightly. I am sure Starry, who is a lot more clued in on this, can shed some light.

The reality is that the football league can't allow this sort of behaviour. MIsmanagement needs to be eradicated and what sort of tradition does it set if they do not follow through their policies with Leeds? Where is the punishment to stop someone doing something similar? Could they have guaranteed they were solvent to assure their golden share of the league? As I said, I have sympathy for the fans, but the rules in place could not have been broken, for the good of football.

You say you had no money to pay players, how was it possible to sign Alan Martin; Casper Ankergren; Curtis Weston; David Prutton; Leon Constantine; Alan Thompson; and Andy Hughes effectively moments after you were handed your share?

Last edited:

Lee D'su.

Sep 5, 2005
rules are rules and guidelines must be met. Why should rules be bent to suit a certain club?

In that case then surely the Withdean does not come up to league standard and you should not be able to play on there. I'm sure you've had special dispensation to play there while you looked for a new ground, (and rightly so may I add). We took our 10 points for going into admin, malwinney (sp) didn't like it as we had used a loophole and therefore imposed this new law that had to be voted on as it was "unprecedented". I am still waiting from the FL to hear which rule we have broken. They cannot supply me with the rule. Thats why a special meeting was called, and not an independent meeting but the chairman of the teams who are in the same league as us (they thought that's one relegation place filled and the teams at the top thought less competition for promotion) , chairmen of the league above us (who wouldn't want the competition next season), and chairman of the league below us (who hoped we would fill their ground next season). It's backfired and it's no wonder you'll hear some nice songs about the football league on Sat. Hope it's a good game and I'm actually worried about us being beat......... there's something about that Withdean stadium.

btw, I know the chairman of Wrexham, he voted against the 15 point deduction, any team who've suffered financial troubles should have done the same.

I pity Swindon, they are next.

Lee D'su.

Sep 5, 2005
You say you had no money to pay players, how was it possible to sign Alan Martin; Casper Ankergren; Curtis Weston; David Prutton; Leon Constantine; Alan Thompson; and Andy Hughes effectively moments after you were handed your share?

The season ticket money had been frozen. When the company was handed the share they were allowed the ST money.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
When seeking to exit administration a Football League member club must comply with The Football League's insolvency policy. The two fundamental requirements of that policy are: -

· Clubs pay their 'football creditors' in full; and
· Clubs also obtain the consent of their other creditors to the continuation of the business, ordinarily by way of a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA)

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't it always been home supporters only ???

Not been for so long so I could be wrong

IGNORE THIS NOW

hmmm, you've never been on a match day then.............NEVER been homos only.

Okay, the reason not many clubs sympathise with Leeds for this, is that your support has TRADITIONALLY been absolute f***ing scum. No really, you bring the worst dregs of humanity with you everywhere you go - hellbent on smashing places and people up, and causing general mayhem. No-one is going to LIKE you for that, so no-one is going to care if you hit hard times, are they. Would you normally answer rude strangers on the street, with "how can I help and support you?" I thought not.

I believe LUFC were punished by the league for the temerity to flaunt and misuse rules that were in place to protect the leagues from clubs constantly dodging debts. LU had already overstretched their resources and credit to the point that they had to offload everything worth any money. There might be some sympathy reserved for such a plight.....except your new rich chairtwat barefaced saved HIS moneys by declaring administration only once Leeds were definitely relegated, and on the end of the season - thereby trying to get the points deduction when it didn't make any difference whatsoever - thus dodging the punishment, effectively.

This attempt at a free ride at the cost of everyone else, is WORTH punishment, and face it you leeds fans - after causing millions in damages across the lands - you got off extremely lightly.

Thanks for your support for us in our past difficulties - we DID deserve support and sympathy, as will any club who might suffer a similar, unwanted and uninvited plight (and we have certainly lent our voices in support of clubs in trouble since, like Hull City for instance)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here