Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you think a Tory gov will or should do?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Assuming they win the next election which looks on the cards.

I think the No1 target will be the BBC, they are for it big time. I think on economics they have little room for manouver. They may scrap RDAs and knock the climate change industry for six, oh and tighten immigration big time.

What is intresting is Cameron, a slimey peice of shit that he is, really must realise he's between a rock and a hard place wrt the human rights act and other eurodross that labour passed. And will have to engineer a renegotiation or face a fullscale backbench revolt. It could within 2 years get Cameron booted out of office or propell us out of the EU(I hope).

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The tories need to win the next election and win well. The fact is that they should be pissing all over Brown and Labour, but accoring to even the most optimistic opinion polls at the end of January, we were headed towards a hung parliament with the tories forming a government, but needing other parties' votes in order to get legislation through.

The tory govenment (because I do think they will win) needs to be strong and get through some popular policy within the first few years (i.e. Labour passing the minimum wage and agreeing the Good Friday agreement in Northern Ireland). Otherwise, I think we may well get outselves into the situation whereby parliament yo-yo's between the two major parties for the next couple of elections.

I think the No1 target will be the BBC, they are for it big time. I think on economics they have little room for manouver. They may scrap RDAs and knock the climate change industry for six, oh and tighten immigration big time.

What is intresting is Cameron, a slimey peice of shit that he is, really must realise he's between a rock and a hard place wrt the human rights act and other eurodross that labour passed. And will have to engineer a renegotiation or face a fullscale backbench revolt. It could within 2 years get Cameron booted out of office or propell us out of the EU(I hope).

They will make plenty of cost savings by combining departments; as you mention the RDAs are at the very least going to be scaled back significantly, and worse-case could disappear altogether. The FSA could well be combined with the Treasury; I'm sure there's some others that could be combined as well.

The speed of the cuts will be interesting, and I think Tory policy there will very much depend on the size of their majority. If it's small/a hung parliament then the cuts will be steady, whereas if they have a big majority it's likely that large swingeing cuts come in relatively quickly.

Europe remains a big issue for the Tories; I'd be surprised if he looks to renegotiate, again it probably depends on the size of his majority, but more and more Tories IMO are now realising that we are in Europe pretty much for good and getting used to the idea.

Give more power to the Royal family, bring back the cane, public floggings, referendum on the reintroduction of the death penalty, Conscription, death penalty for drug trafficers and pushers, strict driving tests for the over 55s every three years, turning back illigal immigrents at ports of entry including strict fines for the ferry companes and airlines for bringing them here in the first place, only allow genuine British citizens usage of The NHS, more stop and search powers for The Police

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
They will do all they can to help their mates.That may not be so much,thankfully,as the International economy will dictate to them,as will the EU.

And withdrawing from Europe would make things worse,as I suspect the majority of Tories realise.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If it's small/a hung parliament then the cuts will be steady, whereas if they have a big majority it's likely that large swingeing cuts come in relatively quickly.

If it is a small majority it is highly unlikely that any government would try and do anything too dramatic as there is potential that they could be brought down by even the smallest of back bench revolts...and from past experience, most back benchers regardless of political allegience take great pleasure from revolting!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Tories will get all the spongers off benefits and into workfare.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Europe remains a big issue for the Tories; I'd be surprised if he looks to renegotiate, again it probably depends on the size of his majority, but more and more Tories IMO are now realising that we are in Europe pretty much for good and getting used to the idea.

A lot of tories in my view are comming to different conclusions. The reason we didn't join the ECU was because it would have been a disaster, even labour accepted that.

There is a growing view that an open borders policy amounts to the same thing, put simply the world speaks English and will want to come here.

remember Labour thought Nationalisation was settled, that they could run their Labour theifdoms in London regardless of Government because of the GLC.

If somethings blocking their way to an objective they'll find a way round it, if not they will remove the problem.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland

larus

The Tories won't want out of the EU. The issue has been the single currency, not the single market. I think that with the problems which are evident in the PIIGS, then no-one within the Toties is going to be proposing joining the single currency.

The problem with the single currency is that it MUST EVENTUALLY lead to Fiscal union. This has always been the issue; that we hand over control over the most important issues to Beaurocrats in Brussels.

I think the issue of Europe has been kicked into touch for the foreseeable future.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They will do all they can to help their mates.

And withdrawing from Europe would make things worse,as I suspect the majority of Tories realise.

their "mates" being the electorate who voted them in? well i jolly well hope so, just as Labour tried to do what they could for their supporters.

as for withdrawing from Europe, i'd appreciate an explaination of how pulling out of political union while retaining free trade agreement would make anything worse? what the EU wont let us? they would refuse a free trade agreement with the 6th largest economy? i think not. they'd probably be jolly happy to get rid of us so they can pursue their Federal States of Europe project, if they can convince their populations that is.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
The Tories will carry on as they have done for the past 13 years under Tony and Gordon.

New Labour, New Tories.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I think the best one is to sell us cheap bank shares - you know the ones we own already.

I do hope they have plenty of magic beans too

They will raise taxes, screw the average workers senseless and create mayhem of striking from dustmen and postal workers.
They just don't represent the working class, never have and ain't about to start.

They don't actually represent the middle-class either, but they can mostly look after themselves.

This country is already majorly screwed, but you'd just as well vote liberal as tory and sink it all the way 6ft under.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I'm really hoping for a hung parliament as I think that a coalition government is what this country needs...I'm a lifelong labour supporter and I always will be but I think the whole political system in the uk needs a great big boot up the arse.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Why do you think that Cameron will take on the climate change industry? He's spent three years trying to prove he's greener than Labour (don't you remember the slogan "Think Green, vote Blue"?) I'm sure that a lot of that is just image but I can't see him having a complete about-turn and say all that green stuff was a load of hogwash - even Cameron is not that shallow.

I think the BBC is in for a hard time though.

I'm intrigued at this idea of tightening up immigration: most immigration to the UK is from the EU, which they can't alter without withdrawing from the Treaty of Rome. I think the next most is from the Commonwealth - all those Aussies working in pubs and then there's the refugees, some of whom are here under international treaties. There, of course, plenty of illegal immigrants but I'd like to how cutting back on them plays with the notion of cutting back on public spending - who's going to pay for the extra security services, immigration officers etc,

I'm sure there will be some token attempts to cut back and some cosmetic changes but there'll certainly be no wholesale assault on immigration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here