Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you need a mobile phone to do

With the launch of yet another iphone, do you really need a phone that does other things apart from making calls, sending and receiving texts/emails? Be careful when taking out contracts on mobiles because if you read what you are getting it's not as good as it sounds. Work out what you actually need your phone for and how much it will really end up costing you.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes.

But thanks for your invaluable advice.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
There are a whole number of functions I use every day on my phone and couldn't live without these days.

I use the web browser, either over Wi-Fi or 3G, all the time for looking things up (facts, stats, sports scores, nudie pics) when I'm not at a computer.
I find the calendar invaluable in keeping me organised.
Whilst abroad recently I found myself frequently using the currency convertor app to check what I was spending.
I download and listen to all my podcasts on my mobile since it's easier than plugging my iPod into my computer and manually updating.
I use the Spotify app to listen to anything that pops into my head. It saves me carrying around an enormous music library with me for on the fly listening.
I use the camera on a regular basis, as I always have it with me and it saves me carrying around a digital camera everywhere just on the offchance that I spot something I want to snap.
The Vouchercloud app (and other variants) saves me money AND helps identify places locally I may want to visit for shopping, food or drinks.
Google Maps isn't just fascinating to a map nerd like me, it's also incredibly useful. The sat nav functionality of my phone has helped me out on many occasions.
The various games and my Guardian Anywhere app ensure that if ever I'm in a long queue or on a train, I've got something to entertain me.

These aren't ESSENTIAL features, but I do use them every day and without them I'd be ever so frustrated.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Unless I wear glasses my eyesight is too poor to make much use of a gadget phone. I have a robust and reliable Motorola V9 which serves very well in the function for which it is needed, as a phone. Iphones and Galaxy users remind me of people who have the first small mobiles, it's fashion accessory as much as anything but so what ? No big deal because anybody who wants one can have one.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There are a whole number of functions I use every day on my phone and couldn't live without these days.

I use the web browser, either over Wi-Fi or 3G, all the time for looking things up (facts, stats, sports scores, nudie pics) when I'm not at a computer.
Whilst abroad recently I found myself frequently using the currency convertor app to check what I was spending.
I download and listen to all my podcasts on my mobile since it's easier than plugging my iPod into my computer and manually updating.
I use the Spotify app to listen to anything that pops into my head. It saves me carrying around an enormous music library with me for on the fly listening.
I use the camera on a regular basis, as I always have it with me and it saves me carrying around a digital camera everywhere just on the offchance that I spot something I want to snap.
The Vouchercloud app (and other variants) saves me money AND helps identify places locally I may want to visit for shopping, food or drinks.
Google Maps isn't just fascinating to a map nerd like me, it's also incredibly useful. The sat nav functionality of my phone has helped me out on many occasions.
The various games and my Guardian Anywhere app ensure that if ever I'm in a long queue or on a train, I've got something to entertain me.

These aren't ESSENTIAL features, but I do use them every day and without them I'd be ever so frustrated.

Have they invented a battery life that's fit for this century yet?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Have they invented a battery life that's fit for this century yet?

No they f***ing HAVEN'T

:angry:

All these activities and functions I perform with my phone every day can mean that come evening time, when I may want to go out with my mates, the thing is on reserve power and will die on me just as I'm arranging where to meet using the good old fashioned call function.

Does this leave you enough time to do an honest days work?
It's not really a phone, it's actually a toy that makes phone calls.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Does this leave you enough time to do an honest days work?
It's not really a phone, it's actually a toy that makes phone calls.

A matter of opinion that, many people find the functionality of a smart phone highly useful. If I was to do a more mobile role in IT as I have done in the past I would probably go for an Iphone or some such. As it is I have been mainly working on Service Desks for the last year and therefore sit in front of a PC for most of the day thus I have all the internet access I need, I'm not a gamer but I can easily see the attraction of a more sophisticated device to what I currently use.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
With the launch of yet another iphone, do you really need a phone that does other things apart from making calls, sending and receiving texts/emails? Be careful when taking out contracts on mobiles because if you read what you are getting it's not as good as it sounds. Work out what you actually need your phone for and how much it will really end up costing you.

Still not sold on this whole smart phone thing just yet. I spend enough time in front of the screen during the day, and the reasons for not getting a smart phone are I dont want to be sitting in front of another screen at the end of the day, and secondly its the cost.

I am still on my £10 a month deal with 02 which gives me loads of free texts. I don't hardly make any phone calls. I just text and I have never found a better deal.

But there is one thing everyone with a smart phone tells me, battery life. My sister in law needs to re-charge every couple of days. I remember having an old nokia 3210 it could for a whole week or longer before it needed charging. again.

The other day I did find another old phone at home. I decided to charge it up and try and use it as I wanted to get that retro experience and fight back at the smart phone revolution, want my honest opinion, the whole experience was awful lol. Texting was slow as hell, and the ringtones :nono:

The embarrasement of someone calling me in the street with those ringtones I would need to hide lol.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Still not sold on this whole smart phone thing just yet. I spend enough time in front of the screen during the day, and the reasons for not getting a smart phone are I dont want to be sitting in front of another screen at the end of the day, and secondly its the cost.

I am still on my £10 a month deal with 02 which gives me loads of free texts. I don't hardly make any phone calls. I just text and I have never found a better deal.

But there is one thing everyone with a smart phone tells me, battery life. My sister in law needs to re-charge every couple of days. I remember having an old nokia 3210 it could for a whole week or longer before it needed charging. again.

The other day I did find another old phone at home. I decided to charge it up and try and use it as I wanted to get that retro experience and fight back at the smart phone revolution, want my honest opinion, the whole experience was awful lol. Texting was slow as hell, and the ringtones :nono:

The embarrasement of someone calling me in the street with those ringtones I would need to hide lol.

Buy a second hand iphone off ebay, a 3gs can go for as little as 150 quid in perfect working order and get a giffgaff sim card (runs on the 02 network) for 250 mins per month, unlimited texts and unlimited data/internet usage for only 10.00 per month. You will not regret it

Giffgaff

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I don't have one. Forced to have one for work, so I guess phone calls and texts. Although texts don't really work too well as customers don't know if I'm not available and wonder why I don't reply! So I guess that just leaves phone calls really.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
My iphone is a godsend, it really is. Being able to find out pretty much any information I need at any time of the day or night is fantastic. I have satalite navigation on there, eliminating the need for a shop bought system and the bonus that it's always in my pocket. Going on holiday I have a pocket translator and currency converter whenever I need it, It can even translate foreign text just by holding the handset over it! Kids doing your nut? Let them play angry birds or watch a Disney film to shut them up. The other day I was having a lie in and thought i'd like a new album. In the old days you would get up, drive into town, park the car, walk to the shop, buy the album, walk back to the car and drive home. I did it barley opening my eyes and without moving (lazy perhaps but it was Sunday) I constantly have a camera in my pocket should I need one, Google maps is great, I could go on! Oh, it makes phone calls too :)

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Browsing (especially checking NSC and football scores) using wi-fi and 3G
Social networking (Friend Stream so I don't have to check FB and Twitter separately)
Camera (and video) - I have a camera but take way more photos on the phone
Games - still addicted to angry birds but there are plenty of others
Calendar, synced with my PC
Calculator - HP12C emulator is a lovely app
Music player - for a new album when I don't need all the songs on the ipod
EMail - I receive lots more than I send and I can check them all day, wherever I am
Text alerts - e.g. from my internet bank/credit card
Messaging
Phone calls - least used feature on my phone!

........It's not really a phone, it's actually a toy that makes phone calls.

Well said - quote of the week for me! I have got a T Mobile "gooseberry" (looks like a Blackberry but only cost £30). Apart from the basic functions I find the camera useful for work for when I forget to take one (it is a very basic one but just how good does a pic of bent road sign need to be?) and the radio is handy for listening to the match commentary with my feet up at the swimming pool whilst the kids splash around.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

The hand held devices you describe are not just "phones". that is just I small part of their ability.
We are not in the 90's anymore welcome to 2011.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here