Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you LIKE/DISLIKE about living in Brighton and Hove?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Love the fact that I can cycle to the sea in fifteen minutes and swim. Having to go anywhere near the Lewes Road (shopping bit) or London Road (shopping bit) can leave me clinically depressed for weeks.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
General level of tolerance - you can largely be what you want to be and nobody really bats an eyelid

Amazing architecture such as the Pavillion, The Grand Hotel, King and Queen pub, St Peters church etc

The fact that we're within a couple of miles of the sea, the city or the countryside whichever way you head

The bravery of the voting public to give power to the Green Party for the first time ever

Dislike
Dreadful architechture such as Brighton Centre, Hove Town Hall, Sussex Heights, the messy prom/balcony bit in front of the Van Allen building

Reputation. Just because I live here, doesn't automatically mean I take it up the Gary Glitter and mince around the place like the lovechild of Larry Grayson and Duncan Norvelle. I like gay people. Some of my friends are gay. However, I am not gay and living here doesn't make me gay ( I'm looking at you Cardiff city fans )

The stupidity of the voting public, giving power to the Green Party

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I really enjoy the liberal outlook most of us have in this city. It's a very comfortable place to be. Loads of local business and nice outdoor spaces, Queens Park is great.

My only complaint is the amount of drunks and junkies littered about all over the place. I live in Kemptown and I'm luck to go a day without some waster asking me for money.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Like: Almost everything especially the liberal attitudes, diversity of pubs, contrast of people, Sunday roasts, North laine, the lanes, The Amex, Tuaca, seafront, Duke of Yorks, the coffee shops, the fact that you don't have to grow up and can go to pubs/clubs at any age and of course, the fit women.

Dislike: Thr rubbish left all over the place (especially the seafront), house prices and London road.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Dislike
House prices
Parking
The ridiculous lottery allocation of school places

Pretty much everything else

I love Brighton

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Dislike: the green council that doesn't seem to be able to prioritise things for the majorities but spends a disproportionate amount on minorities. Hence - untidy streets, inability to travel in the snow and ice, unkempt public gardens, allowing cyclists to go the wrong way on one way streets, cycle lanes that make it more likely that they have an accident and spoil the views (take the Drive for instance). The merger with Hove that was better off without Brighton. Buildings left empty and dilapidated.
Like: being by the sea but near wonderful countryside, living in a cosmopolitan town (or city whatever), ability to travel easily to other towns to shop as I can't afford to shop in the city centre.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dislike: the green council that doesn't seem to be able to prioritise things for the majorities but spends a disproportionate amount on minorities. Hence - untidy streets, inability to travel in the snow and ice, unkempt public gardens, allowing cyclists to go the wrong way on one way streets, cycle lanes that make it more likely that they have an accident and spoil the views (take the Drive for instance). The merger with Hove that was better off without Brighton. Buildings left empty and dilapidated.
Like: being by the sea but near wonderful countryside, living in a cosmopolitan town (or city whatever), ability to travel easily to other towns to shop as I can't afford to shop in the city centre.

I stopped taking this post seriously when I realised you're blaming one set of people for problems that have dogged the town / city for years if not decades.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I stopped taking this post seriously when I realised you're blaming one set of people for problems that have dogged the town / city for years if not decades.

insane bus lanes like the one at rottingdean have made traffic horrific. if your policy is to make driving such an unpleasant experience you are forced onto a bus, then how democratic is that? yet another mob forcing their ideas on to people where there is no need. do as I say merchants, the opposite of freedom and democracy. incentivise people to use public transport. the buses are brilliant in brighton now compared to years ago. but its gone hand in glove with a gleeful whipping of motorists. if you are a bit snobby or holier than though you probably think they are fair game. hide behind poor little rufus's asthma or something as you just hate people in the suburbs as they are not as cool. but in reality its a nasty way to run a place.

it cracks me up how everyone thinks voting for the greens somehow makes the town a cut above. to the rest of the country they just roll their eyes yet again.

Oct 25, 2003

are you actually blaming the merger with hove on the greens?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Nooveau Brightonians and their pretentious wankiness. hate hate HATE

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
insane bus lanes like the one at rottingdean have made traffic horrific. if your policy is to make driving such an unpleasant experience you are forced onto a bus, then how democratic is that? yet another mob forcing their ideas on to people where there is no need. do as I say merchants, the opposite of freedom and democracy. incentivise people to use public transport. the buses are brilliant in brighton now compared to years ago. but its gone hand in glove with a gleeful whipping of motorists. if you are a bit snobby or holier than though you probably think they are fair game. hide behind poor little rufus's asthma or something as you just hate people in the suburbs as they are not as cool. but in reality its a nasty way to run a place.

it cracks me up how everyone thinks voting for the greens somehow makes the town a cut above. to the rest of the country they just roll their eyes yet again.

A truly great rant.

You may have to remind to what extent was the bus lane along the seafront down to the Greens?

Scratch the surface, and you'll realise it was built by the then Tory-led Brighton & Hove City Council, and the then- (and now) Tory-led East Sussex County Council.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
A truly great rant.

You may have to remind to what extent was the bus lane along the seafront down to the Greens?

Scratch the surface, and you'll realise it was built by the then Tory-led Brighton & Hove City Council, and the then- (and now) Tory-led East Sussex County Council.

everyone has a green agenda just because it wasnt the single issue party that did it doesnt mean the same principles dont apply. They all know it plays well in sections of the town. Of course mindless car use has to be managed in a relatively small town centre with large outlying suburbs, but a lot is a case of posturing and monkey see monkey do with other places. The greens have now got it down to a fine art, but everyone knows how to push the buttons of the busier section of the electorate, and play to their vanity on how progressive they are.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Not blaming the greens for our history - just that not only they can't sort it out, they have made things worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here