Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do Swiss football fans sing at games?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was wondering this during the World Cup.

Bearing in mind that some of the population speak German, some French, and some Italian, what songs do they sing at Swiss international games, and in which language? Who decides what songs to sing, and would it offend, say, the French speakers, if the German speakers dominated the singing?

Or are they mostly multi lingual, understanding both?

I suppose in Geneva, most of the population would be French speakers, so they'd chunter on in the appropriate language, and the same for Germans in Zurich, but what happens at away matches, like at the World Cup?

Someone put me out of my state of curiosity!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Edna, I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Come to think of it, how do the belgians chant seeing that the French and Flemish speakers hate each other?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
edna krabappel said:
Bearing in mind that some of the population speak German, some French, and some Italian

Or are they mostly multi lingual, understanding both?

Both? For three languages? Come on Edna, since I met you that day in Wycombe I expect more. And so does NSC.

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Re: Re: What do Swiss football fans sing at games?

Bozza said:
Both? For three languages? Come on Edna, since I met you that day in Wycombe I expect more. And so does NSC.

And there are four major languages in Switzerland, not three. Edna obviously hasn't met any Romansch speakers yet.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
"We're the Deutsch side, we're the Deutsch side, we're the Deutsch side Switzerland"

"We're the French side, we're the French side, we're the French side Switzerland"?

Last edited:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
"We're the Deutsch side, we're the Deutsch side, we're the Deutsch side Switzerland"

"We're the French side, we're the French side, we're the French side Switzerland"?

:lolol: :lolol: :clap2: :clap2:

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
I wonder which of the three languages their national anthem is sung in? It would get rather confusing wouldnt it.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
"We're neutral,and you know we are."

"We are not gonna fight til Serwitzerland win the Wo-orld Cup"

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
"You can stick your very long alphorn up your arrse"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here