Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Did you make of that performance

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
My thoughts are we need to seriously bulk up in midfield. We were out-muscled by a not particularly skilful side far too often.

This is absolutely spot on. The squad is good but we need to shed quite a few and add

- a keeper (x2)
- a left back who can keep his testicles hairless without doing himself damage
- more muscle in midfield alongside Bridcutt (Nav's should be Liams understudy rather than teammate)
- a goal poacher
- a target man for plan B (not Vokes please)

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
It did confirm that the first 2 names on Gus's clearout list should be Painter and Dicker who were both f***ing useless.[/QUOTE]

Not f***ing useless but not good good enough for this level and both give the ball away too much even when not really under pressure

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
This is absolutely spot on. The squad is good but we need to shed quite a few and add

- a keeper (x2)
- a left back who can keep his testicles hairless without doing himself damage
- more muscle in midfield alongside Bridcutt (Nav's should be Liams understudy rather than teammate)
- a goal poacher
- a target man for plan B (not Vokes please)

Def agree with this been saying this since start of season

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
First half: tragic.

Second half: far better. Not anywhere near the likes of past performances earlier this season, but much improved on the first 45, that's for sure.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
So you thought Lua Lua, Buckley, Barnes CMS and latterly Vicente were poor last night and we were lucky to score twice? If so you were watching a very different game to me.

I didnt say that did I? Buckley not a striker, Lua Lua not a striker Vicente not a striker. I never said we were lucky to score twice but we created chance after chance same as at home to Reading. CMS and Barnes who are strickers havent scored enough - simples. If we had a decent 20 goal striker we would be in the play offs. I watched an entertaining game last night but our lack of finishing has cost us.

Loved the selection of 2 wingers and despite the farcical passing in the first half we played some splendid attacking football which played to our strengths and could have had 2 or 3 easily. Their goals were nothing to do with their attacking threat or our formation and a 2 nil half time score was not reflective of the general play.

Second half some the comedy passing largely disappeared and the crowd really got behind the team who upped their intensity. Calde's goal was terrific but I felt the substitution adversely affected the crowd and the team with less vibrancy all round. We still deserved the equaliser and could have nicked it.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I didnt say that did I? Buckley not a striker, Lua Lua not a striker Vicente not a striker. I never said we were lucky to score twice but we created chance after chance same as at home to Reading. CMS and Barnes who are strickers havent scored enough - simples. If we had a decent 20 goal striker we would be in the play offs. I watched an entertaining game last night but our lack of finishing has cost us.

You said that we could have scored more if we had strickers (sic) that could finish, yet lots of our chances fell to Lua Lua, Buckley etc. We attack as a unit. Barnes played all over the shop as ever and finished the game on the left side of midfield so essentially this is just another dig at CMS. It's getting pretty boring now.

If we had a decent striker would we be in the play offs? Possibly. But we have not had a proper number 1 all season, the fullbacks have been patchy at best and the midfield was a one man show for much of the season. Everyone was creaming over CMS when he arrived and rightly so. His performances against the likes of Sunderland and Leeds justified the anticipation. We have not played to his strengths and he is trying to do the best he can in a system that deosn't work for him, just like Barnes who is grafting in midfield. Would you be full of confidence at work if you were doing someone elses job rather than your own?

Does anyone actually think CMS is better playing on his own with his back to goal? Don't blame the strikers, their performances come down to the managers team selection and tactics.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Pretty bad first half, pretty good second. I have a feeling Gus was using it to help him draw up a retained list.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
You said that we could have scored more if we had strickers (sic) that could finish, yet lots of our chances fell to Lua Lua, Buckley etc. We attack as a unit. Barnes played all over the shop as ever and finished the game on the left side of midfield so essentially this is just another dig at CMS. It's getting pretty boring now.

If we had a decent striker would we be in the play offs? Possibly. But we have not had a proper number 1 all season, the fullbacks have been patchy at best and the midfield was a one man show for much of the season. Everyone was creaming over CMS when he arrived and rightly so. His performances against the likes of Sunderland and Leeds justified the anticipation. We have not played to his strengths and he is trying to do the best he can in a system that deosn't work for him, just like Barnes who is grafting in midfield. Would you be full of confidence at work if you were doing someone elses job rather than your own?

Does anyone actually think CMS is better playing on his own with his back to goal? Don't blame the strikers, their performances come down to the managers team selection and tactics.

Lua Lua had one or two shots blocked and one just wide, buckley hit the post and scored. CMS had serveral clear cut chances and never looked like scoring same with barnes. Not slagging them off stating facts - strikers are paid to score thats why you have to pay so much for a good one.

I totally agree with you on the managers tactics and formation not playing to CMS strenghts - loved the two wingers but surely we should have played Vokes and he wasnt even in the squad? The worrying thing for me about CMS is he doesnt even look like scoring these days and not getting anywhere near the crosses we provide. Dont get me wrong I want him to succeed more than i have ever wanted an Albion player to be successful but it just isnt happening for him.

My main point is we havent had the right system or right strikers all season and i think that has ultimately cost us as in the game at Burnely Reading and last night where we had chance after chance and it was down to our right back and winger to score. If we get a good 20 a season man can see us being real contenders. Personally would love to see someone like Kevin Davies never gonna happen but someone of that ilk.

All in all a great great season just missing the x factor so to speak!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here