Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what did we think of nick ward then?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Theatre of Trees said:
He also kept drifting into the centre in the first half leaving the flank unprotected which is why I think Wilkins changed formation in the second half.

Doubt it. Surely the whole point of a playmaker is that he is more effective in the centre, and he'd been told to move inside when we were attacking. Not much point being stuck out on the wing.

Wilkins said the change in formation was to get more bodies in the middle where we were losing out.

The puzzle for me was why Hammond ended up as the holding player when he's one of our best attackers..

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
The problem is Ward wants to play in the center of the park, but with us we really need him on the right flank.

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
I thought he had a useful first half, a bit disappointed that he didn't shoot from just outside the box early on in the game when he was under no pressure, chose to pass the ball wide instead.
Second half seemed to drift out of the game a lot more. Not a bad debut though.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
Looks very promising. One of the main things we have lacked so far this season has been someone to play a killer pass to our striker. On yesterdays evidence Ward is the player to provide this and set up our two best chances.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
larus said:
Does anyone know if he would be available at the end of the season, or do QPR still want him as 'one for the future'?

Probably a case of crossing that bridge if/when we come to it.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
Looked promising in patches. Played a couple of balls thru where he thought Jakey would be but Jakey didn't read them. After a couple of games they might click a bit better.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
looked good to me , prefered him out wide and most our attacks came down that side which this season has been a rarity except when harty plays

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
from what i have read on here all the signings (that played) looked ok. so hopefully they can all start working together in training and become a good team by gelling quickly.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I thought he looked really good. He faded in the 2nd half, and I think that's what went wrong with out performance, because for me EVERYTHING we did well, everything that looked promising, in the first half, was going through him.

Verdict. Good start, let's see if he can build on it and give us a 90 min performance.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
SpidersLegs said:
Looked promising in patches. Played a couple of balls thru where he thought Jakey would be but Jakey didn't read them. After a couple of games they might click a bit better.

That sums it up for me.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Stevegull said:
Thought that some early vision from Ward highlighted Jakes inexperiance runs and positioning. Got to work hard together in training to get some understanding of each other

Ward has less experience at first team football than Jake. Two years ago he was a youth team player. He had one successful season at Perth Glory and then signed for QPR at the start of this season. So Ward has pretty much had only two seasons of first team football, and this season he hardly played for QPR. But the progress he has made in a relatively short period of time makes Ward a promising player.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Wouldn't say I was overly enthused. He has potential with some of his passing but looked like a rich mans Doug Loft. Will wait and see though.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think he, along with the other debutants looked excellent - some excellent passing and good vision. OK, he faded a bit in the 2H but generally he was making passes that made Mssrs el-Abd and Robinson look a bit sluggish in comparison. Hopefully they'll rise to his level - he could be a very, very fine player for us indeed.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Best player out of the new ones brought in...had a really good 1st 30 mins and then faded prob due to the fitness thing...looked a level above our lot for 1st half though..

Will be a quality signing I reckon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here