Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What did Harty say that wound everyone up last night?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
tedebear, it wasn't his question in the first place though. He met up with someone (from the Anus I think, but not Mandy) who put the question to Harty. He did explain this a couple of times.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
Yes, so long as its in his will and not before.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Everest said:
tedebear, it wasn't his question in the first place though. He met up with someone (from the Anus I think, but not Mandy) who put the question to Harty. He did explain this a couple of times.

ahhh - thanks for the correction... didn't hear it myself and thought it an odd question....

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
It came about becuase I've featured Archer's £73.2million annual salary in my column today, and Bruce Talbot at the Argus asked me what if Archer had a pang of guilt and offered DK the £48million to build Falmer on the one condtion that it was called the Bill Archer Stadium.
It is a hard question, Falmer is the answer to a whole host of Albion's problems but would we be prepared to have at any cost?
That's why after a mediocre LDV tie I threw it into the mix on the phone-in and it certainly got you all texting and phoning.
For my part as much as I love the Albion I would have serious problem taking his money after all he has done but that's just a personal opinion as I still look forward to the day we hire a steel band to play outside his funeral. 'Island in the Sun'

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
You mean to say you don't really like him, Harty?

Island In The Sun. Now that could start a new thread about what music you would want played at Fartcher's funeral.:lolol:

My choice would be "Don't Worry, Be Happy"

just_bhafc

Oct 14, 2003
Shoreham Beach
Harty said:
It came about becuase I've featured Archer's £73.2million annual salary in my column today, and Bruce Talbot at the Argus asked me what if Archer had a pang of guilt and offered DK the £48million to build Falmer on the one condtion that it was called the Bill Archer Stadium.
It is a hard question, Falmer is the answer to a whole host of Albion's problems but would we be prepared to have at any cost?
That's why after a mediocre LDV tie I threw it into the mix on the phone-in and it certainly got you all texting and phoning.
For my part as much as I love the Albion I would have serious problem taking his money after all he has done but that's just a personal opinion as I still look forward to the day we hire a steel band to play outside his funeral. 'Island in the Sun'

It was a good question to ask, hypothetically of course!?! Just gutted I missed the phone in sounded like a good one!

Keep up the good work

Last edited:

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I missed the phone in last night as it took a long time to get back to the car. Heard a little bit on the coach up to the park and ride.

It would be good if the phone in could start, say, 20 mins after the final whistle, that way all the people at the game would have enough time to get back to the cars to listen on the radio.

Then again I suppose I could take a walkman or something!

Keep up the good work Harty.

Jul 14, 2003
BN2
I'd only want Archer's money if it was given unwillingly, or in his will with no strings attached.
If the hypothetical suggestion came from him then the answer would have to be no.

Last edited:

Some facts for everyone courtesy of the Sunday Times Rich List

129th John Madejski Wealth £260m (publishing and football)

If Reading Football Club goes up to the Premiership, it wil be the fulfillment of a dream for Madejski, 62, on April 28 2003, who has bankrolled the club to the tune of more thn £40m and built the magnificent 25,000 all seater Madejski stadium. The club's benefactor made £17m when he sold Hurst Publishing whose best known product was the Auto Trader family of car sales magazines in 1998. Madeski has invested in a range of business ventures and despite the hefty sports expenditure, the reising value of these interests keeps him at last years figures (2002 £260 m @ 135=)

151st Bill Archer (****) Wealth £223m (DIY and property)

Archer, 58, said in November: "I am pleased to welcome Apax Partners as a strategic investor." And well he might. He had just received £73m from Apax for selling part of his stake in Focus Wickes, Britain's second largest DIY chain. Archer remortgaged his house in 1987 to join Greg Stanley (qv) in building Focus Group. A flotation was aborted last year, but the Apax deal values Archer's remaining state in the group, based in Cheshire, at £145m. He has other assets. (2002 111th= @ £300m)

240th= Greg Stanley (and family) Wealth £135m (DIY)

the sale of the stake in the Focus Wickes DIY chain in November netted £80m for Bill Archer (qv). Stanley, 57, made his fortune building the Fads decorating group. He then co-counded Crewe-based Focus with Archer but sold his stake in 2000. He should have collected £100m - but would have made much more if he'd held out longer:lolol: We keep him at last years figures (2002 239th= @ £135m

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Rambo the debate over the timing over the phone-in will run and run but as I have pointed out before just under 7,000 watch the Albion at home but the last lot of official RAJA figures indicated that in excess of 25,000 people listen to SCR on a Saturday between 5 and 6.
As much as I see your point the Beeb will not change a programme timing to accomodate less than 30% of the potential listenership, whatever the circumstances.
Go with your first thought and get a walkman.
This season there has been a marked increase in the amount of people ringing on mobiles having just left the game, either home or away, and that certainly improves the content of the show.
Thanks for your continued support.
Harty.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
If Archer offered us the money with no strings (other than naming the stadium after him) then I would take it (and I'm sure that DK would too).

With all the financial problems in football right now (Leeds, Sunderland, West Ham, Oldham, etc.) I think we'll have a real struggle to get any real funds together to build Falmer Stadium. I know that their trouble is with player's wages and high transfer prices, but the whole concept of investing in football teams is being questioned by finance houses. In fact, I can't imagine any business case that Knight and Perry could put together that would entice the level of investment that we need. The only thing I can think of is that we'll do a deal with the council (as, I believe, Hull did).

I hope I'm proved wrong, but I expect our real problems to start after we've been given permission to build Falmer (as I believe we will).

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
straight to the point on this one

who cares what its called £48 million you would bite his hand off

hypothetical or not stadium paid for,all your money for team strenghting just like hull can

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It has to go down as one of the funniest phone in's ever.

I'm no genius, but hearing Harty have to explain the meaning of the word 'hypothetical' to two or three callers on more than one occasion had me in stitches.

I nearly lost control of my car before the Southwick tunnel I was laughing so much.

Nice one Harty - keep this up and you will end up being 606's next presenter.

After a shite match, the phone in made my evening !
:clap:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
hiney said:
It's an interesting question because £48million is a shitload of money.

Personally I think we should tell him (hypothetically of course) to shove his money up his arse.

If we took it, everything we have done down the years, like Fans United, collecting for other clubs, supporting AFC Wimbledon etc. etc. would just be gross hypocrisy.

Spot on Hiney - if we were to take his hypothetical money, where would it end? End of discussion I think.

Simple. Take the money, draw up a nice long-winded yet convoluted contract full of legal-ese (twisted phrases designed to confuse the layman), and agree to every term on Arch-hole's requirements.

Just at the end of everything on the contract, write in invisible ink "this contract is null and void and all monies forfeited by the investor", and after he signs it - heat up the ink so it shows clear as day, then tell him "thanks for giving back what you stole you ****" and let him kill himself fighting in court before he can convince anyone that he was tricked just like he did to us.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :bounce:

YYYYYYYESSSSSSSS !

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Takes deep breath and waits to be shot down..........

I am trying to defend Archer but.........

1. He did give the Albion £700k when he walked away from the club when he left the board, and at one point had an interest free loan of about £1.4 million to the Albion with no security.

2. He supported the club financially by investing in (albeit crap) players in Div 3. Remember we paid £120,000 for Jason Peake, and about another £150,000 for the likes of McDonald, Baird and Maskell. In that one season he bankrolled transfer spending that has exceeded the total transfer spending by DK in the six years that he has been in charge. I appreciate that these sums are to an extent petty cash to a man of his wealth (although he did not cash in on his stake in Focus until after he ceased to be chairman)

3. Reading 'Build a Bonfire' he comes across in the revelations as someone who is extremely odd, eccentric, contradictory, awkward.........but not necessarily a total :censored:

The question I ask is, if he is a c:censored: t, why did he not just rape the Albion financially from day one? Why the pretence of initially investing money in the club. Something does not add up, merely calling him names does not get to the bottom of the matter.

Bellotti on the other hand is indefensible.

Come on El Pres, he did all he could to 'fly under the radar' and not make it overtly obvious what he was about.

There may have been a chance that he could make some money from BHAFC while the ground and his dirty plans were 'in escrow'.

If he had just sold us down the creek asap, something would have stopped him - even the worthless FA might have done something to stop him (now you KNOW I'm halucinating).

They wanted us to go quietly, and to veil the facts meanwhile, that's all.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Fair comment, but then why did he keep his money in the club after he was rumbled?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here