Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What can we achieve

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With the money deciding the top 5 or 6 in the premiership. Witha 30k stdium what can we hope to achieve eventually, Coukld we emulate the likes of Bolton or be a yo yo club getting £90m when we are promoted and then £40m parachute when we are relegated.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I think we need to be looking trying to achive what fulham have done. 10 years in the Premier only the odd occasion have they flirted with relegation and in europe the last few seasons (only mainly due to fairplay but still...)

goofball

Aug 24, 2011
Gotta be aiming at Premier League football, it all depends on how much money will be spent on players/wages etc. I mean Manchester City were in Division 1 not too long ago, now with their takeover and the money they have spent they will win alot of trophies for years to come. The more money you spend the more successful you will be. But keeping hold of Gus Poyet is key to albion's success at the moment. Fantastic manager! Brighton have no proven premier league players in their team yet are looking so promising.

I heard Craig-Treacle-Smith is on 22-25k a week :O

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont think keeping hold of Gus is a problem as I believe that he has set his stall out to do a job which means taking us to the Premiership the problem is when we reach that division whether it be next season or one soon after what can we hope for after that. Does TB have the money to finance a climb up that league and will The Amex be big enough to provide the finance for that. Will we have to cut our cloth to suit our needs/

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex

If you believe this you are a moron. It was a rumour from a Palace fan who supposedly heard it from one of our directors. Which is about as likely Michael Jackson moonwalking again.

On the subject though, lets see how the season goes then we can start to talk about the 'promised land'. Talk of emulating Bolton in late August is frankly stupid.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I dont think keeping hold of Gus is a problem as I believe that he has set his stall out to do a job which means taking us to the Premiership the problem is when we reach that division whether it be next season or one soon after what can we hope for after that. Does TB have the money to finance a climb up that league and will The Amex be big enough to provide the finance for that. Will we have to cut our cloth to suit our needs/

With each passing day i agree more and more-

&

30,500 seats would put us in 23rd place in terms of stadium capacity in England(excluding Wembley).

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I think we need to be looking trying to achive what fulham have done. 10 years in the Premier only the odd occasion have they flirted with relegation and in europe the last few seasons (only mainly due to fairplay but still...)

good shout

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Gotta be aiming at Premier League football, it all depends on how much money will be spent on players/wages etc. I mean Manchester City were in Division 1 not too long ago, now with their takeover and the money they have spent they will win alot of trophies for years to come. The more money you spend the more successful you will be. But keeping hold of Gus Poyet is key to albion's success at the moment. Fantastic manager! Brighton have no proven premier league players in their team yet are looking so promising.

I have no proof whatsoever,merely gut feeling and again gut feeling on what players may have been on say a year ago,but even with Falmer,at this stage i cannot see us going above £12K/week for any player.say a total wage bill of £12-£15m tops-all estimated..

Promotion per player & goal bonus however could be used as a sweetener.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My concern is that as everybody knows the Premier League has an elite of about 4 or 5 clubs who have the stadia and money to compete for the title , the rest play for the other places and to avoid relegation and that is the group I would put us in when we get there, which we will at some stage.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
My concern is that as everybody knows the Premier League has an elite of about 4 or 5 clubs who have the stadia and money to compete for the title , the rest play for the other places and to avoid relegation and that is the group I would put us in when we get there, which we will at some stage.

It's a difficult one-i mean how on earth can we compete with Man City or Chelsea? wage wise-Gus commands respect from lower level players for his achievements and rightly so,i feel this may not be the same the higher up the leagues we go,but i will probably be proved wrong.

His system is one of "best style,best team".

A nice problem to have and no doubt about it,ready or not if we could go up this season,we should take it-none of this consolidate nonsense.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It will be a nice problem to have but I think that we will have to be realistic about the future and possible achievements. Much as I do not fear losing Gus this would be the only factor in making him want to leave I think.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
To be honest, I have no ambition whatsoever to be a Premiership side that does f*** all year after year! Much rather be a yo yo club

Pre 1995 we rarely spent more than 4 seasons in any division,done 5 a couple of times since-should have no worries-what i fully expect from here on in,is Brighton to become what we should have always been-a Large regional club,well established at Championship level.

Edit:this does also mean good cup runs,another final,and years spent in the top flight-

IN SHORT NO RETURN TO THE 3RD TIER FOR A VERY LONG TIME.

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
This tread is way ahead of my thinking. I am aiming just to stay in this league this season. I know we are 1st but there is still alot of season.

My list of aims this season is: BEAT palarse and scumhampton home and away.
Stay up.

If you told me at the start of the season that i could have this i would have taken it deffo

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Being a yoyo club would be much better than a fulham type club who realistically can't challenge for anything and aren't going to go down

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here