Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What book(s) are you currently reading?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
An Ed McBain 87th Precinct Novel and almost tragically a Windows Vista manual.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Fiction - Witches Abroad - Terry Pratchett
Non fiction - Basic Electronics - Malcolm Plant

I read the other day that Terry Pratchett has three books on the go but is struggling to finish then. He has been diagnosed with Alztheimers!(sp)

I have just finished the Northern Lights Trilogy by Phillip Pullman ( Golden Compass) and will be starting The Ghost by Robert Harris.

I love Harris's Roman based books. Pompeii was a brilliant book.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Ball Is Round, by David Goldblatt. An ambitious but only partly satisfying single-volume global history of football. Excellent on the early years but far too susceptible to "Brazil shirt" syndrome, i.e. samba football cliches. But too packed full of good hard facts not to take something from.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
"Letters to a young poet" by Rainer Maria Rilke, A slim book containing ten letters of advice from the German Romantic poet to an aspiring young poet at the turn of the 20th century. Highly readable and beautifully constructed. Each page, each paragraph, each sentence stands on it own as a work of beauty.

MtFloridaGull

Jan 29, 2008
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving not sure about it yet but the other half loved it.
And re-reading selected bits of World War Z by Max Brooks the Hope Battle is brill!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I've just finished Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote, which was good but very short and Blood River by Tim Butcher which is the story of his attempt to follow Stanley's route across the Congo. Interesting but depressing for it's analysis of the anarchy in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the outlook for the future.
Fiction, I'm currently reading Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman - a collection of short stories by Haruki Murakami
Non Fiction, The Peloponnesian War by Donald Kagan

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Fiction - Re-reading the George Martin series so I can catch up before reading A Feast of Crows

Non-Fiction - Edward III

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
4TSS.jpg

My Mrs is working her way through Richard and Judy's Book Club books. This one is really exceptional

A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Perry Groves' Autobiography.

An excellent read that outsold Cashley Cole's by something like 5-1 I think.

He comes across as a fiarly decent bloke but the way he talks about his numerous affairs is pretty relaxed and he doesn't show a lot of remorse.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Was reading a John Grisham book - Innocent Man, but could not get into it, which is unlike Grisham books for me.

Took me a while to get into it...but an interesting read.

War in the City Volume 1 by David Rowland. Soon to be followed by volume 2.

I have always been fascinated by WW2, but realised I knew nothing about what happened in Brighton. These 2 books document what happened in Brighton and Hove during WW2. He has also written a book called The Brighton Blitz which I think I may well try and get hold of too.

If you're interested in Brighton history, may I suggest Clifford Musgrave's 'Life in Brighton.' It's quite a hefty book, but charts the growth of the area and has a few chapters on the world wars.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
TWO books on the go, depending on which BOG I'm sitting on:

Downstairs: Before I Get Old - The Story of The Who, by Dave Marsh

Upstairs: This is The One - The Uncut Story of a Football Genius, by Daniel Taylor

:thumbsup:

Not THAT great, in my opinion, Hiney. Irrespective of the fact it was written way back in 1982, it does get a few things wrong. Richard Barnes' books are better.

If you want a decent Who book, get yourself a copy of 'Dear Boy: The Keith Moon Story'. An excellent read, and your man Doug Clarke is quoted in there.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If you're interested in Brighton history, may I suggest Clifford Musgrave's 'Life in Brighton.' It's quite a hefty book, but charts the growth of the area and has a few chapters on the world wars.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Not THAT great, in my opinion, Hiney. Irrespective of the fact it was written way back in 1982, it does get a few things wrong. Richard Barnes' books are better.

If you want a decent Who book, get yourself a copy of 'Dear Boy: The Keith Moon Story'. An excellent read, and your man Doug Clarke is quoted in there.

Indeed. I have read the Moon book twice - once on holiday and once properly. Excellent. I agree that Richard Barnes' books are way better - he just deals with the history of the band rather than making a load of pseudo-intellectual pronouncements like Marsh does - it's all a bit heavy going to be honest.

:thumbsup:

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

Not a short book at 933 pages, I am just over a third of the way through, fortunately it is one of those books that are hard to put down...which it needs to be.

Just recently read Shantaram....goes on as you say but still an amazing story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here