Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What book are you reading atm?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Have nearly finished Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts - absolutely brilliant. Just hope the movie they're making of it, starring Johnny Depp, isn't a pile of cack.

It's the true story of an Australian bank robber, who escapes prison, flees to India and starts a new life on the run there. Amazing stuff, all 940 pages of it :)

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'a million little pieces' by James Frey who spent ten years addicted to alcohol and crack before going into rehab at the age of 23. Great read.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Twenty20 Vision - Mushtaq Ahmed (though it's quite a struggle to read). Next up is Chronicles, that Dylan book.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The Sound of Thunder by Wilbur Smith. Quality.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Easy holiday read... The Island by Victoria Hislop.

I would recommend it to anyone who has been to Spinalonga or Crete in general.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Albion Rob said:
The Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs by Irvine Welsh.

Not as good as most of his previous.

That body swap thing was quite good the first time he did it. But after half a dozen variations...

There's not many authors where you you just buy the new book automatically tho. Irvine Welsh is one. It's like buying the new Hunter S Thompson - tho I think there won't be too many more of those :down:

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
The Cheltenham Festival Betting Guide 2007, by Paul Jones. Always a page-turner...

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Joyce meyer's Ashes to Ashes

And the bible.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
bhafc99 said:
Except it was all bollocks! Sorry to shatter your enthusiasm:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0104061jamesfrey1.html

Well the copy I've got has an 'Authors Note' at the front where he holds his hands up to all that stuff in your link. A lot of the excess in 'Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas' was equally embellished, exaggerated or just plain made up. Don't stop it being a great read tho.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Re-reading the Illuminatus trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton-Williams...

Those blokes must have been completely stoned through the whole thing.

Brilliant

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms said:
Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis. Not quite into it yet but a friend with impeccable taste gave it to me and she's usually right...

Good book; quite avant garde in its time.

I'm reading Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel but I'm itching to finish it so I can get on with Judt's History of Postwar Europe that I've just ordered from Amazon - that looks riveting.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gwylan said:
I'm itching to finish it so I can get on with Judt's History of Postwar Europe that I've just ordered from Amazon - that looks riveting.
I read every word of that book twice (OK, not the index etc, obviously) - it is absolutely brilliant and he writes engagingly too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here