Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'm slowly working my way through Baldacci books. Just finished The Memory Man, the first of the Amos Decker series, so now onto the next, the Last Mile.
If you haven't read The Camel Club series, can I suggest that is next

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
DC Confidential, the memoirs of Christopher Meyer, the UK ambassador to the US during the last Labour government.

There's one brilliant phrase in it. He describes Blair and Brown as having made a Faustian pact "but it wasn't clear which one was Faust and which one was Mephistopheles". That's excellent; I'm going to pinch that
My old boss in DC, lovely guy, incredible set of people who worked at the embassy at the time, including the equally lovely John Sawyer, future head of MI6, now Sir John Sawyer. I've read (Sir) Chris Meyer's wife Catherine's book, but not his.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
If you haven't read The Camel Club series, can I suggest that is next
Yes I have read those. Have also read the John Puller and the Will Robie series. Now onto the Amos Decker series. I have also read the 6:20 man but not the follow up The Edge.
Would recommend all of them. I was recommended to Baldacci by someone on here a while ago.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
1725881721127.jpeg

Very well written insight into former Soviet nations asset plundering by the oligarchs, related criminals and power abusing leaders of the same nations and the complicit processes of Swiss Banks (and others) operating in London (mainly).

Every time I walk past a faceless private bank building in The City I am aware that they are still facilitating what I am currently reading about.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
vs. The Rest of the World - Dave Gorman

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
At the beginning of the year and with no work interference, I started my enjoyment of reading actual books again.
After spending an hour perusing my local library, I decided to read a John Grisham novel, The Firm.
Now am ploughing through his entire list of writings.
Currently I'm reading The Last Juror.
Just can't put them down.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
At the beginning of the year and with no work interference, I started my enjoyment of reading actual books again.
After spending an hour perusing my local library, I decided to read a John Grisham novel, The Firm.
Now am ploughing through his entire list of writings.
Currently I'm reading The Last Juror.
Just can't put them down.
If you like legal thrillers I’d recommend Michael Connolly’s Lincoln Lawyer series.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
God Collar - Marcus Brigstocke

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I've developed an interest in exploration, so I'm reading Darwin's Voyage of the Beagle. A fascinating insight into the culture, biology, climate and geology during his time in South America. He writes very well and he is such a clever man, even by today's standards. An intrepid explorer, it turns out as well. Fellow nerds on this thread, I highly recommend the book - it is so much more than just evolution (he didn't even develop his theory until 20 years after returning from his expedition).

Also, because I'm that much of a shameless geek, I'm dabbling in French novels to improve my grasp of the language. So I'm reading a novel, Tout le Bleu du Ciel, which is a bit meh on the plot-front but good for idioms and colloquial french.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Names for the Sea - Sarah Moss

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
David Mitchell's 'Unruly'.

Do audiobooks count? If so, I’d heartily recommend the above. Mitchell (the comedian) is a History graduate and knows what he’s talking about. In this case, the kings and queens of England from the year dot to Elizabeth I. It’s extremely funny, as in laugh-out-loud funny. I recommend the audiobook in particular as his naturally comedic voice adds another dimension to the jokes and the absurdities. Apart from the constant stream of humour it’s also hugely educational.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Traitors Gate - Jeffrey Archer

Lord Charles

Oct 16, 2010
Bedford
Just finished The Unforgiven - The story of Don Revie's Leeds by Rob Bagchi and Paul Rogerson ..... Yeah yeah I know the subject matter etc but for those of us of a certain age this is a very compelling read and delves into the mind of a very driven individual

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Kingdom of Ten Thousand Things - Gary Geddes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here