Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

hughfromalice

Sep 8, 2022
I'm reading a translation of Emmanuel Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. He was from good old Kaliningrad by the sea! I recommend Chapter 4 ias it is a barrel of fun, just the thing to take your mind off a defeat by Aston Villa... an existential threat to mental health, if ever there was one.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Reading my 7th or 8th Peter James' Roy Grace crime drama novel of 2024 (now on to Dead If You Don't, #14 in the series).

Find them utterly gripping and compelling, and some of the murders are so bizarre or gruesome you wonder/worry about James' himself - either a very imaginative writer, or possesses a sick mind! He also conveys a lot of 'insider' procedural and psychological details which he has learned from his close contacts and friendships with police officers, past and present.

As the series is set in and around Brighton, I'm loving 'seeing' the local places that are featured: Amex Stadium, Ditchling Beacon, Hangleton, Hove Lagoon, Kemp Town, King Alfred Leisure Centre, King's Road, Preston Street, River Adur, Shoreham Port, the skeletal remains of the West Pier, Trafalgar Street, Volk's Railway, etc,.

Makes me so nostalgic.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
IMG_20240730_153424.jpg

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
A brilliant book on policing Brighton. Coming from a family police background, knowing some of the officers names brings it closer to home. I know Brighton has a very dark crime scene but some of this is nasty

Attachments

• 20240730_154016.jpg
    20240730_154016.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
Reading my 7th or 8th Peter James' Roy Grace crime drama novel of 2024 (now on to Dead If You Don't, #14 in the series).

Find them utterly gripping and compelling, and some of the murders are so bizarre or gruesome you wonder/worry about James' himself - either a very imaginative writer, or possesses a sick mind! He also conveys a lot of 'insider' procedural and psychological details which he has learned from his close contacts and friendships with police officers, past and present.

As the series is set in and around Brighton, I'm loving 'seeing' the local places that are featured: Amex Stadium, Ditchling Beacon, Hangleton, Hove Lagoon, Kemp Town, King Alfred Leisure Centre, King's Road, Preston Street, River Adur, Shoreham Port, the skeletal remains of the West Pier, Trafalgar Street, Volk's Railway, etc,.

Makes me so nostalgic

Have a read of Graham Bartletts book, which I've shown in a few posts on from this. True stories of Brightons dark side written alongside Peter James.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just for One Day - Louise Wener

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
IMG_20240802_191219.jpg

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Just reading Whispers by Glen Matlock. Really good insight into the dynamics of the pistols. Actually got to see the Rich Kids and thought they were great especially their version of Pretty Vacant seeing Matlock wrote it.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Red Memory by Tania Branigan. The Chinese Cultural Revolution told by those who lived through it. Thought I knew quite a lot but it was more horrific than I ever imagined.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Never Mind the Quantocks - Mark Maconie

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Just finished Les Misérables. Overall really enjoyed it and loved filling in details that the stage musical misses/changes/abridges. I must admit though, when Hugo goes off on these 50 page descriptions of the Parisian sewers, or life in a monastery, my eyes did frequently glaze over…

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
After watching TV documentary recently on occasion of centenary of his birth, bought and just finished Marlon Brando's 'Songs My Mother Taught Me':
Fantastic autobiography by the 'Hollywood Rebel'.
Full of love affairs, entertaining japes (including near death experiences in Tahiti), support for causes (e.g. Native Americans), disdain for actors and directors.
Nothing about his wives or children though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tropic of Capricorn - Simon Reeve

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
I’m reading Auberon Waugh's autobiography. Older readers may remember his columns in Private Eye, the Spectator, Daily Telegraph etc. Son of Evelyn.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Two Wheels in the Dust - Anne Mustoe

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Just about to finish 'I hear the sirens in the street' by Adrian McKinty about a Catholic RUC detective in the early 80s. Really well written, gripping and funny at times.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
God's Middle Finger - Richard Grant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here