Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Barry Fry has to Say About CMS and Tony Bloom

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
funny how there's such a fight over what will be a totally shit football stadium
How so? Obviously it's not good to have a track round the pitch, but the hammers have plans for moving seats or some shit don't they? Whatever, is it that bad a stadium for them?
And Spurs were going to redo it anyway.

PoshEye

Jul 4, 2011
Before you all explode with praise for cheeky chappie Bazza: Please note that as owner of the club, he sold Posh's ground to his property developer mate and has, in the past, referred to his own fans in the local media as "sponging ponces".

Said developer nearly managed to make us homeless and it is only because of a protective covenant on the use of the land the stadium is built on, that prevented us going down your own copyrighted 'road to hell'.

Sorry for the rant but I know, with your own personal knowledge of this kind of situation, you will understand thats its very difficult to read such eulogising about a man that's tried to sell your club down the river.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He's also more or less Craig Mackail-Smith's father in law isn't he? So not likely to make unfavourable comment.

Always loved watching his performances on the bench though, a proper old school comedy manager. I think he's great, always have done.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Never had a problem with Mr Fry, he's a bit like Ian Hollaway, a character who's worth listening to even if you don't agree with him. Obviously he's going to be polite about us thanks to his connection to CMS but it's nice to hear anyway.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Before you all explode with praise for cheeky chappie Bazza: Please note that as owner of the club, he sold Posh's ground to his property developer mate and has, in the past, referred to his own fans in the local media as "sponging ponces".

Said developer nearly managed to make us homeless and it is only because of a protective covenant on the use of the land the stadium is built on, that prevented us going down your own copyrighted 'road to hell'.

Sorry for the rant but I know, with your own personal knowledge of this kind of situation, you will understand thats its very difficult to read such eulogising about a man that's tried to sell your club down the river.
Your current owner isn't exactly Mr Straight regarding his property dealings either. I hear that there are a considerable number of people in Spain - mainly English expats - that he has well and truly sold down the river. I'd be wary of Mr MacAnthony if I were a Posh fan

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Love the man, great Character and like alot of people have said he has always had alot of time and respect for the Albion and in interveiws always said how he enjoys banter with the Brighton fans, great peice but still wont shut the arrogance of the west sham pricks up

PoshEye

Jul 4, 2011
Your current owner isn't exactly Mr Straight regarding his property dealings either. I hear that there are a considerable number of people in Spain - mainly English expats - that he has well and truly sold down the river. I'd be wary of Mr MacAnthony if I were a Posh fan

I couldn't care less about his business dealings unless they affect my club. All I know personally is, that we were on the verge of going bankrupt when MacAnthony took over from Fry as owner. He's then put in millions of his own money and given us 3 promotions in 4 years.

My point was that the media 'cheeky-chappie' image other fans love about Fry is not the whole story and not how most Posh fans see him, particularly over his dealings with our ground.

You obviously don't think selling a club's ground from under them is a problem.
Funny. Thought you might have to be honest.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I couldn't care less about his business dealings unless they affect my club. All I know personally is, that we were on the verge of going bankrupt when MacAnthony took over from Fry as owner. He's then put in millions of his own money and given us 3 promotions in 4 years.

My point was that the media 'cheeky-chappie' image other fans love about Fry is not the whole story and not how most Posh fans see him, particularly over his dealings with our ground.

You obviously don't think selling a club's ground from under them is a problem.
Funny. Thought you might have to be honest.
TBH I'm not one who necessarily joins in with the Fry 'love-in' here. Your last statement puzzles me a bit because I'm not sure how you conclude that I'm advocating that your ground should be sold from under you - quite the reverse. I was just pointing out that given his track record elsewhere your current owner may try the same thing given the opportunity - he may just be playing a longer game as he has more money than Fry to do so. For your sake I hope not though. He may have put a lot in but how much would he get back if he COULD sell the ground?

PoshEye

Jul 4, 2011
TBH I'm not one who necessarily joins in with the Fry 'love-in' here. Your last statement puzzles me a bit because I'm not sure how you conclude that I'm advocating that your ground should be sold from under you - quite the reverse. I was just pointing out that given his track record elsewhere your current owner may try the same thing given the opportunity - he may just be playing a longer game as he has more money than Fry to do so. For your sake I hope not though. He may have put a lot in but how much would he get back if he COULD sell the ground?

I don't think I said you advocated the selling of our ground from beneath us, if I re-read my post. My comment was that you didn't appear to see that sort of sale as a problem. That was prompted because, on laying out some facts about Fry, you chose to start talking about MacAnthony instead.

It seemed like you were trivialising the selling of a ground by its then owner by changing the subject. If I read that incorrectly then apologies, but you seem quite anti our current owner. Have you had personal dealings with him/his companies?

To answer your final point: It would have to be a very,very long game from MacAnthony to be fair as he, and the property developer who previously owned the ground, did not get on in a very big way so there was never any chance of th ground being sold to him. Thankfully the ground has recently been bought by the local council.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I don't think I said you advocated the selling of our ground from beneath us, if I re-read my post. My comment was that you didn't appear to see that sort of sale as a problem. That was prompted because, on laying out some facts about Fry, you chose to start talking about MacAnthony instead.

It seemed like you were trivialising the selling of a ground by its then owner by changing the subject. If I read that incorrectly then apologies, but you seem quite anti our current owner. Have you had personal dealings with him/his companies?

To answer your final point: It would have to be a very,very long game from MacAnthony to be fair as he, and the property developer who previously owned the ground, did not get on in a very big way so there was never any chance of th ground being sold to him. Thankfully the ground has recently been bought by the local council.
I've not had any personal dealings with your current owner, nor do I bear him any grudge. I only mentioned him because of the (correct) concern you expressed about Fry's ownership of the club. I was just hoping that for their own sakes Posh fans weren't seeing MacAnthony as a spotless knight in shining armour because he does have his hands dirty from other dealings. I hope for your sake he is as much of a Posh fan as Bloom is an Albion fan. Put it this way, I can remember a time when Albion fans were actually pleased to see Bellotti because he got rid of Barry Lloyd. And we all know what happened next...

PoshEye

Jul 4, 2011
I've not had any personal dealings with your current owner, nor do I bear him any grudge. I only mentioned him because of the (correct) concern you expressed about Fry's ownership of the club. I was just hoping that for their own sakes Posh fans weren't seeing MacAnthony as a spotless knight in shining armour because he does have his hands dirty from other dealings. I hope for your sake he is as much of a Posh fan as Bloom is an Albion fan. Put it this way, I can remember a time when Albion fans were actually pleased to see Bellotti because he got rid of Barry Lloyd. And we all know what happened next...

Fair enough. We certainly don't see him as spotless (we read the same papers/sites as you I guess) but cannot fault his actions with regard to our club and, to be honest, that's all that matters to me as i'm not one of his customers.

The ground is, as I said, now 'safe' in council ownership (although if you knew how useless our council are.......) and Darragh seems happy to keep re-investing the money we make on sales like McLean and Craig so all is good.

Any-hoo it's Fry who will have the last laugh as always: He's on 10% of all sales as Director of Football, so will pocket a cool 1/4 million from his son-in-law to be's move.............

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Glad to hear the ground's in reasonably safe hands Posheye. We've all seen too many clubs done over by 'investors' in the last few years. I guess I look at every takeover with cynicism now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any-hoo it's Fry who will have the last laugh as always: He's on 10% of all sales as Director of Football, so will pocket a cool 1/4 million from his son-in-law to be's move.............

Not suprising he's all loved up to us then really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here