Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are your biggest concerns regarding our current predicament?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
For me it has to be a chronic lack of pace throughout the heart of the team, which at this level is seemingly a problem. When John Carew outpaces five midfielders/defenders, you’ve simply got to ask the question! I don’t pretend to have the answer to this, and perhaps things will be better if/when our injury list reduces slightly.

Second to the above: creativity, or perhaps lack thereof! I see it as shut Noone down, shut us down… Yes IF Vicente was on the pitch then this would free up Noone, but he isn’t!

Overall I think Gus needs to assess the shape, which, as others have alluded too, isn’t striking the right balance for me. Barnes is not a wide man, and (yes) I’m for LuaLua getting the nod on Sunday alongside a freed up Noone. If, however, Gus feels Kazenga can’t track back from a wide role, why not play him in behind the strikers… in the vacant Vicente role?!?

Lastly, having not won for what is over half of the current season, why not drop these so called “underperformers” and give Kasim, Caskey et al. a chance. I don’t see the point of the development squad if the players can’t make an occasional step up to the first team… I’m sure others feel the same.

I’m still very much behind the current Albion philosophy, and love the football when it works, but we desperately need to do something on the pitch other than put out the same starting XI on Sunday. I’d be excited to see Jake etc. running with the ball in midfield. These are the kind of fearless; chomping at the bit players we need… and let’s face it Barnsley will probably be taken aback by such a bold move.

That’s my feelings, scribed in the most eloquent way I’m capable of… sigh… and if you don’t like it… Well I’m going home! How I wish Jeff Wood had said that… I’d have given him a bloody lift!

I do hope, nay pray, that this thread is not jumped on by the anti Poyet brigade calling for long ball, MAN football, of the lowest order… I really do.

Reading through some of the horrendous comments posted of late brings back memories of the treatment Micky Adams received during his second spell; which when you think about it (ahem) is rather akin to the sickest and most immature of BAD jokes.

I’ve been, as many of us have, through the mill supporting this great team… and my heart bleeds a love that burns with each capitulation and sickening defeat.

I remember being at Doncaster back in Division 3 (as was), watching and weeping with each goal Prince Moncreiffe scored on that awful day. We were bottom of the league and (sigh), as Jimmy Case slumped off the pitch, I (as Gus would say) went home…

But do you know what?!? I came back, and I always will.

ALBION!

Kosh

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
For me its the lack of an incisive pass through to CMS to take advantage one of his main assets, namely his speed. Should be relatively straighforward to thread a pass through a Championship defence but we don't seem to have any players with the tactical nous to do so.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My biggest concern is a POSSIBLE lack of commitment amongst all of the new players, with the exceptions of CMS and Vincelot.

Harley never looks like he could give two sh1ts whether we win, lose or draw, and Buckley, Hoskins and Vicente are constantly injured. Now I'm sure that between them they have had niggles, and of course we can't be stupid about things, but its hard to avoid wondering about just how desperate these guys are to get out there and contribute.

I'm fed up of hearing about 'slight thigh strain', 'a little bit of discomfort in his side', 'slight tightness' and the like.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
I don't think it's a lack of pace, as already stated CMS and Noone are fast, so is Buckley and a few others but if they are being told to pass, pass rather than sprinting passed opponents looking for a ball over the top, which as I'm betting CMS would love now and then, we are not playing to the strength of they player we have, trying to change them into something they are not, will, I believe lead eventually to a breakdown on the spirit in the dressing room, which I fear is happening already.

My biggest concern is Gus's seemingly stubborn and obstinate streak. We don't need to abandon his possession football, passing style, just leave room for the unexpected to confuse and catch opposing teams out. 90% the Gus way and 10% something more unpredictable and direct. Wouldn't it actually be quite exciting if Harper punted the ball long downfield, one bounce to CMS who runs onto it and scores? Because that's what CMS is capable of...

Right now, it would appear that every team knows what to expect from us. They plan how to make things difficult for us. Let's surprise them now and again. It doesn't mean we have to abandon our preferred style (identity).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
My biggest concern is that I am not enjoying away games any more. I cant quite work out why, I think it is due to the amount of idiots going nowadays, but it's not just that. Maybe it's just that home games are good again for the first time in 14 years.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
the lack of pace throughout the team and maybe more worryingly our complete inability to play to the strengths of CMS. Point in buying a player for that amount of money and then not using him correctly, he must be pissed off

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
For me its the lack of an incisive pass through to CMS to take advantage one of his main assets, namely his speed. Should be relatively straighforward to thread a pass through a Championship defence but we don't seem to have any players with the tactical nous to do so.

Exactly this, what is the point of buying a player who thrives on the early ball through the channels to run onto, then boot high balls at him all the time..... sheesh!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What are your biggest concerns regarding our current predicament?
For me it is the fact that our poor form has encouraged loads of Nigels to come and post on our forum, with their never ending dull and unimaginative drivel.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The lack of prog rock played over the tannoy pre-match at the Amex is of considerable concern to me.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
My biggest concern is that I am not enjoying away games any more. I cant quite work out why, I think it is due to the amount of idiots going nowadays, but it's not just that. Maybe it's just that home games are good again for the first time in 14 years.

You do love a moan about our fans don't ya

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am a little concerned by our inability to look up and see options. In the last few home games I've seen Noone in space, waving his arms desparate for the ball, but no one looks up and sees him.
Earlier this season calderon was constantly available to help play the ball out and was frequently ignored.
Noone has a habit of putting his head down and just running and running, trying to take on one more man, when there are options available.
Against west ham we seemed unable to switch sides in their half. If we were trying to attack on the left, we would, we'd get stifled, play it back to bridcutt who rarely even bothered to look right before playing it back to the left wing where we, just like moments before, were stifled.

If we're going to play the passing game, we need to be alert to all the options and use them all.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
...that Gus MIGHT actually flounce and jump ship at the first opportunity. Love his passion but not his unpredictability.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
My biggest concern is Gus's seemingly stubborn and obstinate streak. We don't need to abandon his possession football, passing style, just leave room for the unexpected to confuse and catch opposing teams out. 90% the Gus way and 10% something more unpredictable and direct. Wouldn't it actually be quite exciting if Harper punted the ball long downfield, one bounce to CMS who runs onto it and scores? Because that's what CMS is capable of...

Right now, it would appear that every team knows what to expect from us. They plan how to make things difficult for us. Let's surprise them now and again. It doesn't mean we have to abandon our preferred style (identity).

Didnt go last night then ? Last night we abandoned our style completely and were much much much much worse than at any point in the last 9 games.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
To be fair, you'd have needed to be some kind of SICK bastard to enjoy last night.

True, but I used to enjoy those horrendous trips up north to shit holes like Scunthorpe to see us lose 4-0 in the bottom division. Some of the best away days I've ever have. I think the problem is now I actually expect us to win.

You do love a moan about our fans don't ya

It's only a recent thing, I used to like our fans. Now I hate them all apart from about 6 people. And you, of course.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
That Gus is seemingly demanding that the board give him more money

He has had more than any other Brighton manager and yet it is not currently working. That can in part be put down to the fact that three of those expensive purchases in Buckley, Hoskins and Vicente never seem to be fit. It maybe coincidence, but people said Vicente was a sick note and that is why he was let go by Valencia and Buckley had apparently struggled with injuries in the past

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here