Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are the best places to go to in New York?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Whether you go up the Empire State Building or the Rockefeller Centre (I'd recommend the latter as you have the iconic Empire State Building in your pictures and it's a really good viewing area, not just caged in) time it for sunset. You'll get the best of both worlds then as the city lights up. You can buy tickets online in advance which will save a lot of time.

Spot on advice. If you have time is a factor then go with the Top of The Rock. We found the Empire State experience a bit shabby by comparison, seriously over crowded and disinterested and disorganized staff. By contrast the Rock was slick and even the elevator was an experience. With a half decent camera you will get some brilliant dusk/night shots of the iconic NY
Skyline.

If have the time and money there also some good trips out of NY to Washington and Niagara Falls.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There was a guy on here that lives there and had a good PDF that he sends to family/friends that was handy.

If its your first visit, try to plan what you want to do. I actually enjoyed my second visit more as did more research and went off the tourist trail a bit. If you want I'll send you the PDF as it is very helpful

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
We took a night-time helicopter ride over the city which was incredible, such a beautiful city.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
I was there last month and can also recommend top of the rock (far better than ESB). Quite near the Rockafeller there is a lovely church too (st Patricks) just across the road - very ornate inside. Just up from there is FAO Schwarz the famous toy shop and it still has the piano on the floor (Tom Hanks film Big - you remember) and you can even have a go. Times square is fun at night and the Hard Rock Cafe was good. Macy's and Saks in 5th avenue is good for shopping (better than Bloomingdales). Try and see Grand Central Station thats pretty good inside and has loads of shops in the basement. Go for a walk in Central Park and if you can watch an Ice Hockey game at Madison Square Gardens. Use the subway, pretty good and pretty cheap. If you have time go the the World Trade Centre area. The new building is flying up and they have a couple of very thoughtful memorials of that day.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
just come back last week!! get to foleys bar by the empire state building there are 2 albion shirts in there! Keens steakhouse is an absolute must and the rooftop bar at the top of the Met was cool with great views!! there are some really good seasonal beers on at the moment too. Brooklyn beer and Sammie Adams being my fave!!

There is my one from the REMF match a few years back hanging up in Foleys.

Bit about the place on here: http://sweatshoptachinardi.blogspot.com/2010/11/remf-shirt-finds-home-in-new-york.html

I would definitely catch a New York Rangers match if you can. Brilliant night out and better atmosphere than the Knicks.

High Line is a nice place to take a stroll along.

Bryant Park a lovely place to sit outside with a coffee.

Bronx Zoo. Better than London's.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I went to Stand Up New York. It was crap and ever so slightly racist.

Cool Adidas Originals shop in Soho.

If you like street art head to 5 Pointz (Jackson Avenue at Crane Street and Davis Street). It is an entire block of some really cool stuff, is free and is a good way to kill half an hour.

Grimaldi's Pizzeria - pretty much underneath the Brooklyn Bridge. Will have to wait in line but is well worth it. Squibb Park nearby is also a nice place to get a good view of Manhattan and the bridge.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Worth getting a copy of Time Out New York as that lists all the free stuff as well as the tourist stuff. Get out of town if you have the time – Metro North runs up the Hudson Valley from Grand Central and the views of the trees changing colour as well as the Hudson are pretty spectacular and there are a lot of old town settlements you can stop at. The New York Marathon is on November 6 if you are in town then. Visit Brooklyn Brewery in Williamsburg. If you want to visit the 9/11 memorial you need to reserve a pass online. Grab a helicopter trip while you can as there’s talk about the politicians banning tourist trips due to the accidents over recent years. The Statue of Liberty is 125 years old this Friday so there are events at Liberty and Ellis Island. Check out the Gotham Imbiber for info on bars and craft (real) ales, it’s run by Alex Hall who does Glastonwick. It’s worth hiring a bike as it’s a good way to see Manhattan and there are a lot of bike trails that have been built, the Greenway is 30 miles long and takes you round the Manhattan waterfront.

D

Deleted member 18477

all u guys are making me jealous. i need to get myself over to NYC soonish!!! never been before!

Albion Rob

I concur with the advice of many on here:

Top of the Rock was awesome and you get to the the ESB, in fact you tower over it.

High Line - A former railway in the meatpacking district. Really tranquil and an interesting view of that area from two stories up. A cool Cuban bar near there too.

Flatiron Lounge - really cool cocktail bar quite near (but not next to) the Flatiron building.

Cocktails at the Carlyle - really expensive (and a steep cover charge) but worth going for a couple just to experience it. I think Woody Allen plays the flute there from time to time.

I think there's also an 'English pub' possibly called the Spotted Pig which has a couple of Michelin stars - I had a burger with fries cooked in goose fat and it was awesome. Somewhere in Greenwich I think.

My only regret was that I didn't get to see a sports match while I was over there (we saw the Orioles while we were in Baltimore). Ice Hockey sounds pretty cool, I guess Gridiron would be sold out.

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
There is my one from the REMF match a few years back hanging up in Foleys.

Bit about the place on here: http://sweatshoptachinardi.blogspot.com/2010/11/remf-shirt-finds-home-in-new-york.html

I would definitely catch a New York Rangers match if you can. Brilliant night out and better atmosphere than the Knicks.

High Line is a nice place to take a stroll along.

Bryant Park a lovely place to sit outside with a coffee.

Bronx Zoo. Better than London's.

Yeah its still there mate I have a picture if you would like it?? I have to say you could have washed the shirt first!!

There is a 2nd shirt there framed and signed (not sure by who) but there is quite a sad tale behind it that I had not heard before...

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
If you're into your cocktails, head to Death & Co, and PDT (Please Don't Tell) - but you might have trouble finding the latter as the only way to get to it is through a secret door in a phone booth in a hot dog diner.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Bleeker St. is a shadow of it's former self although there is a fantastic bar, The Blind Tiger on it.

Still some good bars on Bleecker Street. Red Lion is a good venue for live bands and live footy and GMT is a new Brit bar. 11th Street Bar in the East Village is worth a visit – bands, pub quizes, really good selection of ales and home of the official NYC Liverpool Supporters Club; it’s close to quite a few curry houses including Brick lane Curry House which is the best in NYC IMO.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
havent lloked at the thread,but i know H20 has just come back from there,and he was buzzin about the place

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here