Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are the best places to go to in New York?

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
Going to NYC and want to know the best places to go or your favourites, just want some ideas, thanx :)

just come back last week!! get to foleys bar by the empire state building there are 2 albion shirts in there! Keens steakhouse is an absolute must and the rooftop bar at the top of the Met was cool with great views!! there are some really good seasonal beers on at the moment too. Brooklyn beer and Sammie Adams being my fave!!

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
When we went for our honeymoon five years ago we turned up outside a theatre on Broadway 3 hours before a performance and entered a tombola to win front row seats for $25 each. We won them along with 6 other couples and paid $50 for two front seats which was the same price for a back row seat!! This was mid week but might be worth doing. We also were accosted in Times Square on the way back to the hotel by someone from the David Letterman show asking if we wanted tickets - so we did that too!!

Other ideas: go on the Staten Island ferry rather than having a boat cruise around the harbour - it is free; central park is lovely to walk around; we were gutted not to see an ice hockey game; and of course there is the Empire States, shops etc.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
... and there were some good bars in Tompkins Square and Bleeker Street (Greenwich Village). And ditto the Staten Island Ferry. I'll shut her up now.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
As H2O says, Keens steakhouse is something else. Not cheap by any means but best steak I've ever had. They do a tourist pass thing now so depending how long your there for and what you want to see you could save yourself a few quid. Also when eating out, particularly lunch/Breakfast come off the beaten track a bit. You can end up spending a fortune on a sandwich if your not careful! When you go to the Empire state Building, they offer a vocal tour via a headset. I wasn't sure but turned out to be well worth the extra 9 dollars IMO. Also the Apple store on 5th ave if your in to that kinda thing. Takes around $1M a day apparently!!

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
As H2O says, Keens steakhouse is something else. Not cheap by any means but best steak I've ever had. They do a tourist pass thing now so depending how long your there for and what you want to see you could save yourself a few quid. Also when eating out, particularly lunch/Breakfast come off the beaten track a bit. You can end up spending a fortune on a sandwich if your not careful! When you go to the Empire state Building, they offer a vocal tour via a headset. I wasn't sure but turned out to be well worth the extra 9 dollars IMO. Also the Apple store on 5th ave if your in to that kinda thing. Takes around $1M a day apparently!!

Me and the Mrs had a porterhouse steak for 2 at keens and it was out of this world! Also Katz Deli as featured on Man vs Food i had the reuben sandwich there it was so good i bought the t-shirt literally!!!!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Go out to Brighton Beach and feel like you have been transported to Russia, you will hear the language spoken and see street signs in cyrillic script, a quite bizarre experience.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
The best decision we made when we were out there a couple of years back was to walk everywhere. The experience of just wandering through Little Italy, Chinatown etc is fantastic. Definately get to Bleeker Street for some shopping - Its a little bit like The Laines - loads of record shops! It's also where the infamous CBGBs club is, if ur into ur music.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Hotel wise be prepared for very small rooms even in pricey hotels unless you pick an older property. We stayed in The Morgans on Madison Ave which was very modern and where you have breakfast is Asia De Cuba which features in Sex and The City.

To get your bearings we found it great to use one of the drop on drop tour buses which stop at all the major sites. If you go to the Statue of Liberty don't ignore Ellis Island which is fascinating. At night make sure you you go to the Top of The Rock at the Rockefeller plaza. This is offers a great night time view of the NY skyline inc The Empire State and The Chrysler building. If time is an issue you really only need to check out the the lower half of Central Park and the best day is a Sunday.

dgh123

Aug 7, 2011
Plan what you want to do/see if you aren't going for that long like 5 days otherwise when you get there its so buys and you just end up wandering around trying to do something but not sure of what you want to do and the best times to do things and then you then doing things you don't want to do!! When I was there I waited about 20 minutes in que to get to the top of the Empire state building so was quite lucky but I herd that people refused to go into the Empire State Building because of the ques so went to the Rockefeller center and that was suppose to be quite good as well!

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
All I'll say is please visit Foleys. 33rd St between 5th and 6th Avenue. Literally opposite the ESB. You won't regret it.

Shaun will have the West Ham game on today as well.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Whether you go up the Empire State Building or the Rockefeller Centre (I'd recommend the latter as you have the iconic Empire State Building in your pictures and it's a really good viewing area, not just caged in) time it for sunset. You'll get the best of both worlds then as the city lights up. You can buy tickets online in advance which will save a lot of time.

Highly recommend hiring bikes for Central Park. You can get them at the bottom left corner by Columbus Circle. You'll see a lot more of it and have a blast riding round the perimeter.

If you haven't yet got accommodation booked, the Wall Street Inn is excellent value. Down in the Financial District which makes a nice refuge from the tourist areas further north and it's a doddle on the subway day or night. PLus there's a street of bars and restaurants right next door and if you're feeling energetic, it's a good excuse for a leisurely walk to Times Square taking in the sights en route.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here