Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What a pathetic country we live in

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
All I'm saying is that, after what I've seen, the conditions are not bad enough to warrant calling the game off.
You may accept that the pitch is frozen .. I'm afraid I do not.

Ha ha, so Casper Ankergren is a liar and the pictures on SSN have clearly been edited to show a frozen goal mouth? You're either on a wind up or very dim

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
Ha ha, so Casper Ankergren is a liar and the pictures on SSN have clearly been edited to show a frozen goal mouth? You're either on a wind up or very dim

You're possibly right .. either I'm dim or most people have become so f***ing soft that they can't cope with a slight drop in temperature.
Wrap up warm you tosser.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you seem to be under the misunderstanding that this is the first time its ever happened. games have been called off for frozen pitches for as long as i can remember. are you going to say that next time a game is off for water logged pitch that we should all just get the brollies out, ignoring the state of the pitch?

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
you seem to be under the misunderstanding that this is the first time its ever happened. games have been called off for frozen pitches for as long as i can remember. are you going to say that next time a game is off for water logged pitch that we should all just get the brollies out, ignoring the state of the pitch?

No .. I just think we should try to play when conditions permit. I understand that sometimes matches have to be called off (waterlogged/frozen pitches).
It just seems that recently games have been called off just because it's gotten a bit cold or snowed a little.
I was out tonight & I didn't think conditions wer bad enough for the game to be postponed.
Admitedly, I'm not a referee so I suppose I should trust their judgement. That said, I still think we've become a nation of 'non-doers' given half a chance.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I am beginning to question the train service.

Long delays at Clapham Junction (not in Clapham) tonight, but why ?

Interesting (for those in the rail industry) there appears to be a complete communication break down between that station and Victoria. Countless times over the last few weeks they have had to put an announcement out that they have no information about trains leaving Victoria.

It's just over the river, but they are unable to tell whether a train is on the way.

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
No .. I just think we should try to play when conditions permit. I understand that sometimes matches have to be called off (waterlogged/frozen pitches).
It just seems that recently games have been called off just because it's gotten a bit cold or snowed a little.
I was out tonight & I didn't think conditions wer bad enough for the game to be postponed.
Admitedly, I'm not a referee so I suppose I should trust their judgement. That said, I still think we've become a nation of 'non-doers' given half a chance.

:facepalm:

When you say "out", do you mean you were "out" in the penalty area at the western end of the pitch at Withdean? Or do you mean you were "out" somewhere else?

I was "out" this afternoon, on the road between the A27 and Ripe. It was very icy near Hall Court Farm, but was perfectly OK at the corner by Adder Wells. What does that tell me about conditions at Langtye Lane?

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
so are you going to do nothing for the next 3 months because it's got a bit nippy? It's winter ffs. The only reason the game was called off was 'health & safety' (ie. Fear of someone slipping over & claiming damages against the club). If the game couldn't be played in these conditions then we've got to seriously consider scrapping all winter matches .. This country has turned soft ... Fact.

i blame the students....its all their fault

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
I have been outside ... grass is fine & NOT rock solid. According to Albion website the pitch was perfectly playable mid-afternoon after being covered for days.
Why is it that other countries seem to play in conditions far worse than we're experiencing? We have become a nanny state. FACT. We need to toughen up & get on.

Is the place 'outside' you refer to the Withdean pitch?

If it is then you are absolutely spot on, and everybody else who has disagreed with you are total numpties.

If it's not then you look a bit silly.

And from what I remember the Albion website did not state it was 'perfectly playable' mid afternoon, and neither did they say the covers were on for 'days'.

Here is the article you are referring to I believe:-

Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Update: Tonights Game On

Unless you have gathered this information from somewhere else?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Fair play to you, chap, I must say I am massively impressed that you can tell exactly the condition of the pitch at Withdean merely by being outside somewhere else in the cold. That is some skill.

I presume the referees who called off six of the other League One games this weekend (so far) are also full of shit. Can you advise?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree. My flight has been cancelled today. In fact all BA Heathrow flights have been cancelled between 10:00 and 17:00 today. All flights, all destinations. Lufhansa are happily flying as though nothing has happened. f***ing ridiculous. I really would like to meet someone with operational knowledge of these two companies to explain this one to me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're arguing different points? what the hell does me wrapping up warm have to do with the pitch being unplayable?

I bet El-Abd would have happily played on it, in short sleeves and with no snood either.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
what would Diana think?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
All I'm saying is that, after what I've seen, the conditions are not bad enough to warrant calling the game off.

No, it's not all you're saying. You're dismissing our nation of 60,000,000 people as 'pathetic' on the basis of this decision.

Care to reconsider?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here