Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whaddon Road Twice Next Season?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Fancy going to Cheltenham twice next season? Bristol Rovers are playing at Whaddon Road from the middle of next season while their ground is redeveloped.

Rovers confirm Cheltenham switch
Bristol Rovers will play their home games at Cheltenham's Whaddon Road from the middle of next season, while their Memorial Stadium is redeveloped.
The club will begin building an 18,500 all-seater arena in early 2008 and expect it to take around 18 months.

The Pirates, newly-promoted to League One via the play-offs, had also considered ground sharing with Swindon.

But Rovers have opted to play their last nine or 10 games of the 2007/8 campaign just 40 miles away up the M5.

Rovers director Geoff Dunford told the club website: "The venue received a positive response from a survey of our supporters earlier in the year and throughout our discussions the Cheltenham Town board of directors and manager John Ward have made us feel very welcome.

"We feel the size of Whaddon Road will help create an excellent atmosphere, much the same as Twerton Park did for us when we moved to Bath in 1986.

"The playing surface is also superb and will suit the type of football Lennie Lawrence and Paul Trollope wish to play."

The move is set to be formally rubber-stamped by the Football League later in the week ahead of the release of the 2007/08 fixture list next Thursday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_rovers/6721699.stm

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Cant understand why they wont share with Bristol City :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Richie Morris said:
Main reason I think is actually because the rugby union team do or are going to ground share with City.

Bristol RUFC currently share the Memorial Ground with Rovers. I think they are playing at Ashton gate during the refurb.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think Swindon would have been more sensible but the Swindon fans kicked up a FUSS over it - I think there has been trouble between Swindon and Rovers fans in each of the past 3 meetings.

Wouldn't it be a shame if Swindon got relegated and the board came out saying that the groundshare might have paid for an extra player or two?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Simster said:
I think Swindon would have been more sensible but the Swindon fans kicked up a FUSS over it

Swindon fans kick up a fuss? They weren't MOANING about something were they? That seems so unlike them.

WHINING CUNTBAGS

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Uncle Buck said:
That is a shame.

A day out in Bath was always a giggle and some good pubs as well.
Couldn't agree more. I loved our trips there - even if we only ever got 900 tickets.

Codners shit pen, Devon White punching the ball into our net and the ref missing it, and still coming home with a 3-1 victory.

Even that 4-1 defeat the following season was LAUGHS.

Happy days.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Simster said:

Codners shit pen, Devon White punching the ball into our net and the ref missing it, and still coming home with a 3-1 victory.

Quality!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
hans kraay fan club said:
Bristol RUFC currently share the Memorial Ground with Rovers. I think they are playing at Ashton gate during the refurb.

Bristol rugby are only going to use Ashton Gate for a handful of the bigger games but City thought it would be too much to have Rovers as well (and it wasn't greeted well by the fans unsurprisingly).

There is some talk that they reckon the building work won't start at the beginning of 2008. I'll be gutted if the Albion's game v Rovers is in the 2nd half of the season since the Mem is 200 yards form my house !!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
we'll probably get them first off anyways :drink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seagull over NZ said:
Bristol rugby are only going to use Ashton Gate for a handful of the bigger games but City thought it would be too much to have Rovers as well (and it wasn't greeted well by the fans unsurprisingly).

There is some talk that they reckon the building work won't start at the beginning of 2008. I'll be gutted if the Albion's game v Rovers is in the 2nd half of the season since the Mem is 200 yards form my house !!

I will be equally gutted, as the stadium manager at the Memorial is a freind of mine, so I am expecting hospitality!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I just hope that Cheltenham have resolved their catering difficulties, I like a hot meal but there are limits :lolol:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Surely with those 30,000 fans fighting to get tickets they should have gone for the Milennium Stadium?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here