Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Wetherspoons

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Personally, I would never eat my fish and chips if they were served up in last weeks copy of the Guardian.:D

Gave you a thumbsup but TBH I'd love to have my fish and chips wrapped in good old-fashioned newspaper - any newspaper, no prejudice against any of them! Without apportioning any blame - wouldn't dare to cast any aspersions on here! - but didn't we lose the joy of having our fish and chips wrapped in newspaper during the period we were in the EU?
:wink:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Gave you a thumbsup but TBH I'd love to have my fish and chips wrapped in good old-fashioned newspaper - any newspaper, no prejudice against any of them! Without apportioning any blame - wouldn't dare to cast any aspersions on here! - but didn't we lose the joy of having our fish and chips wrapped in newspaper during the period we were in the EU?

We were in the EU when the UK passed its own 1990 Food Safety Act. :)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He told his staff to go and find jobs at Tescos. He didn't even want lockdown saying it was over the top.

Annoyingly, those who reported that information were forced to issue corrections to their stories.

1b6b60c935ad8590cb432492514bbd58.jpg

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Personally, I would never eat my fish and chips if they were served up in last weeks copy of the Guardian.:D

Since the 1990 Food Safety act it has been illegal to wrap fish and chips in newspapers.
So, you won’t even be able to eat your fish and chips from the Mail or the Sun either.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

It's a benefit, finally :clap:
Oh.. unfortunately it appears I have access to t'internet which says :shit:

Sorry :wink:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

It’s pretty easy to recreate the original taste.

Printers ink was made from used engine oil and black pigment, along with some other carcinogenic additives.
I’m sure your local garage could supply you with the main basic ingredient, should be lovely sprinkled on your chips.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a benefit, finally :clap:
Oh.. unfortunately it appears I have access to t'internet which says :shit:

Sorry :wink:
Unfortunately two people have since confirmed that the end of fish and chips in newspaper did occur during the time period we were in the EU - fact. Sorry!
:lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Unfortunately two people have since confirmed that the end of fish and chips in newspaper did occur during the time period we were in the EU - fact. Sorry!
:lolol:

I had the greatest sex ever whilst Maggie was in power. That was pure coincidence too - Fact :wink:

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
More years ago than I care to think about, I found an automatic chip dispenser in a town called Rottweil in Germany - put in a mark coin and in a while a portion of French (well, German) fries was dispensed.

Never seen another machine like it. What happened to that concept I wonder?

PS does anyone know the current status of the "Dewdrop Inn" in Peacehaven, seems to have closed - for good?

Well it moved to Wick about 250 years ago….

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If spoons were to be your go to, first choice of pub, we likely have very different things we look for in a pub. However, I’ll pop in to certain Wetherspoons if the occasion arises. The one in Grenwich is lovely outside on a summer’s evening . I quite like the Brighton Marina one and various others around and about.

The only one I’ve been in that I would never, ever return to is the one in Kingston Upon Thames. An utter grief-hole. Grim beyond description. In fact, for such a well-to-do, historic town, I found Kingston Upon Thames to generally be an utter toilet with a shockingly awful selection of boozers.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Most people who I know go into Wetherspoons are c***s. But I guess birds of a feather flock together.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Most people who I know go into Wetherspoons are c***s. But I guess birds of a feather flock together.

Bearing in mind ' spoons have the highest ratio of CAMRA members v Civilians of any pub chain and most CAMRA members are hipster beardy weirdies they might look like they are in need of a Brazillian but that is a accusation to far.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
If spoons were to be your go to, first choice of pub, we likely have very different things we look for in a pub. However, I’ll pop in to certain Wetherspoons if the occasion arises. The one in Grenwich is lovely outside on a summer’s evening . I quite like the Brighton Marina one and various others around and about.

The only one I’ve been in that I would never, ever return to is the one in Kingston Upon Thames. An utter grief-hole. Grim beyond description. In fact, for such a well-to-do, historic town, I found Kingston Upon Thames to generally be an utter toilet with a shockingly awful selection of boozers.

They vary greatly, I would never venture back into their Sittingbourne one, but on the other hand given the option I would never venture back to Sittingbourne. :lolol:

The Peter Cushing in Whitstable is a lovely art deco building and whatever you may think about Tim Martin he does do restorations properly as opposed to the vandalism many supposed 'Breweries' have done. For example Hall and Woodhouse have gutted their West Sussex Estate in order to sell them off as housing developments.

First proper date with Mrs Jakarta was the Cherry Tree in Faygate, yet another Pub Hall and Woodhouse have just closed. I don't think that they are all that interested in brewing beer...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here