Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wetherspoons

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Good or bad?

To be honest i like the fact you can get passable cheap food and beer all week long better than teh rip off of some pubs these days, but do they atract the wrong sort of clientel?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I think it depends on the indivdual pub - I hate the one on West Street yet the one in Huddersfield isn't so bad.

You can't knock the prices

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Great VFM, but I always seem to end up getting pissed (admittedly very cheaply) on the odd occasions I go in one - due to the 'type' of regulars who frequent 'em.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the high st one tend to be shite, but that goes with the territory. those off the beaten track are no worse and often bit better than other pub chains, and i've always reckoned the range of ales they do means they take a little more care. wetherburger is a tasty burger for good price and the curries are meaty and good value too (better than alot of Indians). surf and turf was excellent value when i used to be a regular.

Oct 25, 2003
decent for a cheap drink (£5 for a bottle of wine in central brighton ffs), plus they do ACTUALLY do decent beer, but it is a bit lifeless and cold feeling....

plus i once ordered a full english and it was at my table before i was

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Cheep drinks, and cheap food, always reliable when you need somewhere. Food in both quality and size has gone downhill recently, but much rather sit in their and have Beer+Burger for the same price as a Bigmac!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
always have good real ale ,but you do stick to the tables.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I love Wetherspoons.

The food is always good.Ham,egg & chips being my usual choice.Beer's kept well because they sell a lot of it, particularly the real ales.

It does attract a few pissheads but they're decent pubs overall.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
f***ing awful if the people outside the one in Hove are anything to go by.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Going to one pre Orient for a cooked breakfast so will let you know.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
good for breakfast and a drink before most other establishments open. not so good when that said drink is a westons organic at 9.30am

luke17

Oct 9, 2003
Can't stand the pubs you wouldnt catch me in a Wetherspoons, im more of a Slug and Lettuce and Yates man.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Excellent value, Spanish prices for drinks & [usually, in the ones I've been in] free WIFI. What more does a traveller need?

Don't go into them as often as I did but, applaud the concept but would always plump for decent small pub that did good beer and food in preference assuming there is one available.

Also like the fact that they do seem to have respect for the buildings that they take over, ie The Opera House in TW and the Commercial Rooms in Bristol, and seem to do a good job in restoring then and giving them names appropriate to the locality.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Ok for a couple of drinks, but food is very much baseline standard for pub grub.

Had an experience in the West Street one a few years ago where a mate got served a pint of coke with what looked like an ashtray at the bottom (no joke!) - they obviously picked up the wrong glass. They wouldn't replace the drink as "we did it". On the same occasion we were served half-frozen food, and were told if we wanted anything else of the menu costing more, we'd have to pay the difference (even if the difference was 50p!)

I know it's cheap, but there are far better places for a pub lunch in central Brighton than the Wetherspoons, the Prince Albert and the Hop Poles are just two examples...

A mate of mine worked in a similar chain and said the only way you can ensure you eat something half fresh and cooked in a chain pub is to order steak, generally everything else is straight from the microwave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here