Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Hoathly scandle!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I live in West Hoathly and our local shop and post office closed overnight with no warning a few weeks ago - now we know why! Having lived in West Hoathly for over 3 years I have to say that I am stunned by this news!!!

Anyone else had any good scandles recently where they live???

Mark R

West Hoathly post office worker steals to pay for giant credit card debts

By Ali Cridland »

A village postmistress who stole more than £50,000 to pay off her overwhelming credit card debts has ended up behind bars and disowned by her family.

Mother-of-three Susan Williams, 49, took the money from the sub post office in West Hoathly to fund her family's lifestyle, including private schools and horses for her children, after running up credit card bills of more than £120,000.

Yesterday the formally well-respected woman, who has no previous convictions, was jailed for 12 months at Lewes Crown Court after admitted stealing £51,774 between January 2007 and February last year.

The court heard Williams and her family had run the village shop and post office since 2004 in North Lane, and lived next door.

In February last year the missing cash was discovered during a routine audit of the accounts.

When investigators searched her home they found documents which revealed she had credit card debts of more than £100,000.

Williams admitted she had been stealing from the till and falsifying the monthly trading statements.

The court was told Williams who now calls herself Sue Simmons and lives in Dane Hill, was sacked by the post office and has so far not paid back any of the stolen money.

Cathy McCulloch, defending, said no punishment the court could impose could be worse than that inflicted by Williams' family.

She said: "Her husband, who she has known since she was 14, has left her and her children have disowned her.

"All the money taken was not used to go on jaunts to Disneyland but to fund a lifestyle. She should be pitied and helped."

The court heard her husband had left her, her children did not want to know her and her home had been re-possessed.

Judge Anthony Niblett told her he accepted she had acted out of character while under pressure. He said: "You are 49 and a lady of previous good character. It is a real sadness to see you in this court."

But, he said, the offence was such a serious breach of trust that only an immediate custodial sentence was appropriate.

He said: "When you are released from the sentence I hope you will return to your honest life."

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
What is "scandles"

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Oops spelling mistake, must be the shock of it!

Scandal is what I meant!

I wonder how many of the many ££££££££££s I spent in that shop went into her pocket!!!!!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Mr B - West Hoathly scandle continues - Do you know you have at least one Palace fan living in your village? My brother-in-law nonetheless.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Mr B - West Hoathly scandle continues - Do you know you have at least one Palace fan living in your village? My brother-in-law nonetheless.

Argghhhhhh thats not allowed!

I know of one other Brighton fan in the village, and West Hoathly seagulls doesnt live that far away. Give me the address and I will see what I can do:albion2::albion2:

What with a housing devlopment plan on the West Hoathly garage site (vintage cars not a normal garage), the loss of the local shop and post office, both pubs changing hands in the last 2 years, the loss of the garage in Sharpthorne and now news of a Palace fan living in the village, its no surprise house prices are going down!!!!

Next thing will be hove born and bred planning to move to WH!

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
1647731-The-Six-fingered-man-0.jpg

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
most of it on beer no doubt !

Nope, the alcohol was tooo expensive! The house and shop are up for sale at £420,000 so guess that will be used to repay the debts (unless there is a massive mortgage on it!). Oh just looked on the web site and the price has been slashed to £375,000!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Take it her rat of a husband left after the conviction,and not during the jaunts to disney ect. MEN tut

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
We had something similar, see below. The guy had stolen loads of money from the Post Office to pay off gambling debts.

A post office has been closed after bosses noticed a quarter of a million pounds was missing.
Hampden Park post office in Eastbourne was shut after a raid by police and representatives from the Post Office.
A man, believed to be the postmaster, was arrested and taken in for questioning while detectives searched his home and vehicle.
He was detained over allegations of financial irregularities at the branch before being released on bail.
Officials from the Post Office Investigation Branch have launched an investigation into the claims that £250,000 has disappeared and could bring a private prosecution if they find evidence the money was stolen.
A spokesman for Sussex Police said the force provided custody facilities and that the investigation was being handled entirely by the Post Office.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Oops spelling mistake, must be the shock of it!

Scandal is what I meant!

I wonder how many of the many ££££££££££s I spent in that shop went into her pocket!!!!!

You're in good company with the spelling. Ali Cridland's written "formally well respected" when s/he means "formerly well respected".

Pah! Journalists today. Would never have happened in my day...proper sub-editing...eight pints at lunchtime.....(continued page 94)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here