Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West ham WIN. Orient DONT.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As has been said many times what is the point as West Ham will never fill it. Only 2 teams in London would Arsenal and Tottenham even Chelseas would only fill it on very odd occassions.

Perhaps West Ham should offer Orient the chance to ground share and sell their ground at Brisbane Road.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
NO ! Sure there has been banter/conflict. Orient are able to trade so why must they accecpt West Ham ?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Far from the end of the matter, judicial review is on the cards unless Orient get what they want

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Orient get loads of free publicity and probably a pay-out or a free run through a Planning Committee somewhere down the line. It's just Barry Hearn using the situation to his advantage - nothing new and nothing for anyone to be concerned about. It will make no difference at all to Orient in terms of fanbase or income. Might put West Ham out of business in the long term though

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
So what happens to Upton Park? do WHU get any money for it or is this like the Man City deal Where they some how swapped Maine rd for the Commonwealth Stadium.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Yes I'm sure Barry Hearn is doing this for some publicity but actually he has a point about them being totally ignored in the farcical arrangements for the legacy of the stadium. (How can they not have thought through what would happen to the stadium after the Games??). Whilst Orient may not have been realistic tennants they should have been able to have had their say in the whole sorry saga. Whatever your feelings about him, he has turned them into a decently run club and with Slade as manager they have a chance of doing well in League One. They have been treated shablily.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Orient get loads of free publicity and probably a pay-out or a free run through a Planning Committee somewhere down the line. It's just Barry Hearn using the situation to his advantage - nothing new and nothing for anyone to be concerned about. It will make no difference at all to Orient in terms of fanbase or income. Might put West Ham out of business in the long term though

This.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not really a surprise is it? A sad indictment of the state of English football.

before the Premiership vs the rest bandwagon gets rolling, you might like to consider that Hearn wrote to the committee in favour of Spurs' bid. He wasn't opposed to a premier league side on principle, just objects to West Ham. I say tough.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
before the Premiership vs the rest bandwagon gets rolling, you might like to consider that Hearn wrote to the committee in favour of Spurs' bid. He wasn't opposed to a premier league side on principle, just objects to West Ham. I say tough.
If that's true then so do I. Hearn's whining also seems to be coming far too late and I'd say he would have more success if he simply offered a more pragmatic solution. That stadium coat the tax payer millions and needs to be used!

According to Barry Hearn the problem for Orient is not such much as West Ham will be on their doorstep, it's that assuming West Ham don't fill the stadium then there are likely to be loads of cheap tickets available in order to get bums on seats.

And assuming West Ham are in the Premiership or even top end of the Championship then people are going to be faced with a choice of higher level football at lower cost, or lower level at higher cost.

And I think he's right.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
According to Barry Hearn the problem for Orient is not such much as West Ham will be on their doorstep, it's that assuming West Ham don't fill the stadium then there are likely to be loads of cheap tickets available in order to get bums on seats.

And assuming West Ham are in the Premiership or even top end of the Championship then people are going to be faced with a choice of higher level football at lower cost, or lower level at higher cost.

And I think he's right.

This tho I could be wrong and I though Hearn WAS offered first refusal on the stadium?

Besides doesnt he really have eyes on the hockey stadium?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This tho I could be wrong and I though Hearn WAS offered first refusal on the stadium?

yes, thats what i remember too, but he turned it down for whatever reason (strings attached? too big?). i do beleive theres a large slice of kicking up a fuss to secure the Hockey stadium. where is that exactly and will Orient moving there impact on any local non-leauge sides...???

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Besides doesnt he really have eyes on the hockey stadium?

Originally Hearn wanted approval but then took a more realistic view and now wants the hockey stadium. As to how much impact it has on Orient rather depends on how well West Ham get on. There's no guarantee that a new home will make West Ham a better team and whilst they may attract new fans they may also lose some who don't want the move. Hearn has a point but he can take all the legal action he wants but on what grounds ? West Ham seem to need this move to survive and whether it's fair or not West Ham are a much bigger team than Orient. They also have much bigger debts so their creditors have a vested interest in their survival, bit ironic really.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It's a real bonus for any West Ham supporters who bother to go.They'll be too far from the pitch to see anything.

I think Hearne also says that the FA have a rule that a club is not allowed to move into a location already occupied by another league club, and the Olympic stadium is about 500 yards from Brisbane Road. I have no idea if the FA do have such a rule, but if they do then I can see why Hearne is pissed off.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think Hearne also says that the FA have a rule that a club is not allowed to move into a location already occupied by another league club, and the Olympic stadium is about 500 yards from Brisbane Road. I have no idea if the FA do have such a rule, but if they do then I can see why Hearne is pissed off.
It's actually 2.1 miles from Brisbane Road but your point stands. There is no way that Premier League rule is enforceable in reality, certainly in this case. That stadium needs a tennant, and Orient have done a poor job of convincing anyone it should be them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here