Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West coast knowledge appreciated...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Me and the missus are trying to cram in San Francisco, Vegas, Grand Canyon and Yosemite in two and a half weeks in June.

Anyone been there, done that and got some tips on cheapish accommodation in any of those places/best way to do it/must see or do's in Frisco?

Looking at possibility of hiring a car, getting to Vegas midweek when apparently decent hotels are less dear, poss flight over Canyon for half an hour funds permitting...

At the moment we have flights only, and no accommodation - although strangely some tickets for the San Francisco Giants booked. A priority that has not proved popular in all quarters.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Your best bet is to hire a car and stay in motels. For Car Hire I would recommend Thrify who seem to be a fair bit cheaper then the rest.

Motels are ten a penny and I've stayed in a few Best Westerns which are cheap and pretty cheerful. Word of Warning, Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco is pricey on food and not great value. Alcatraz is well worth a visit.

If in doubt you up your venues on www.expedia.com (not co.uk). I've used that several times with great success.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If you're in Frisco you HAVE to go down to the Fisherman's Wharf area and get some proper chowder. It's bloody excellent.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
bhaexpress said:

Word of Warning, Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco is pricey on food and not great value.

Ya reckon? There was a couple of nice cheap places when we went. Mind you, we bought it from the vendors instead of going into the actual cafes.

D

Deleted User X18H

Tooting Gull said:
Me and the missus are trying to cram in San Francisco, Vegas, Grand Canyon and Yosemite in two and a half weeks in June.

Anyone been there, done that and got some tips on cheapish accommodation in any of those places/best way to do it/must see or do's in Frisco?

Looking at possibility of hiring a car, getting to Vegas midweek when apparently decent hotels are less dear, poss flight over Canyon for half an hour funds permitting...

At the moment we have flights only, and no accommodation - although strangely some tickets for the San Francisco Giants booked. A priority that has not proved popular in all quarters.
Myself and my soon to be Mrs are doing exactly the same type of trip in June for our honeymoon San Fran then Vegas
incl helicopter trip throgh the Canyon staying at Fishermans somthing then the Luxor

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
a quick cab ride over the bridge to Sausalito and ferry back to the city makes a nice afternoon round trip, especially if you're an otis redding fan.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If you go to San Fran you should drive to the top of that really steep hill and then place a siren on the roof of your car and race down to the bottom at full speed, pretending you're in a police chase, like they do in the movies. That'll be fun.:)

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Done Vegas, Grand Canyon and Yosemite in one trip a few years back. Would've done San Fran too but it was the year of the big earthquake out there and the place fell down about a week before we were due to go.

Fly-drive is the way to go just hire a car and stop at the numerous motels for kip. It is a lot of driving but the driving is so easy out there.

Grand Canyon is ok, did the flight over it in some tiny cesna type thing and nearly shit a brick as there was so much turbulance. Try and get to Bryce Canyon if you can (and stay at Ruby's Inn).

Yosemite is a beautiful place and great for walking etc.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Not going to La ?

I think you should, Huntington Beach is the best place on the planet FACT

I'll sort you out some great hotels when I have a minute

Also Id suggest you drive down the Cost road from SF and take in Carmel, Santa Cruz, SANTA BARBRA as well they are very very nice towns !!!

D

Deleted User X18H

but it was the year of the big earthquake out there and the place fell down about a week before we were due to go.

What 1906 what are you 1880's seagull
:lolol:

Cadman

Jul 7, 2003
If you want to go to Alcatraz then book the ticket before you get there as it can be very busy.

Well worth a visit.

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Tooting Gull said:
although strangely some tickets for the San Francisco Giants booked. A priority that has not proved popular in all quarters.

Not much point in watching the Giants now Barry Bonds is out. Are they playing anyone good that day?

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Did exactly that last year with the missus

Don't hire a car with Alamo, it's first come first served, we waited for 2 hours. . .

We went.

SF -> Yosemite -> Kern Valley -> Vegas -> LA -> Monterrey -> SF

I'd recommend not bothering with LA but Monterrey is worth a day or two. Pebble beach is worth a look around as is Monterrey Aquarium.

Vegas is HOT. 3 days is enough. If you can afford it, stay at the Bellagio or the Venetian, we were at Luxor which is amazing but a bit out of the way.

If I did it again, I'd probably give Vegas a miss and stay around the west coast. The drive there is long and tedious. (take plenty of fluids) I'd also go in spring as the rivers were all low there was no Yosemite falls as it was dry

Accomodation can be sorted on a daily basis. Go to the tourist centre and see if they'll do any deals.

mmmm Chowder.

Any specifics give me a shout, I can dredge up any info you'd like

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Parents did a similar trip recently. If you're starting in San Francisco, don't pick up your hire car until you are ready to head out to other areas. The public transport is good, driving is a nightmare and parking is also expensive. It will also save you a few days hire and insurance costs.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Some great stuff there, ta very much - any more very welcome. I'm also keen to get to some horseracing, but the trade-off could be some hippy-shopping in SF. I'll probably PM you about any decent VFM hotels you stayed in, Barnet.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Shopping-wise I didn't think much of SF but Chinatown is well worth a walkthrough. Vegas is a much better bet, two very decent outlet centres, one either side. Also one just before Vegas in Primm which isn't bad.

Oh and be sure to at least venture into a Boot Barn, even if just for a bit of a laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here