Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] West Bromwich Albion vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The forwards have missed sitter after sitter. They have not scored the goals they should have given the chances. If you, me and cleaner can see that they shoot like ten year olds without looking where they are shooting then yes, I do blame the manager for failing to address it in training. Yes I do blame the manager for picking Maupay week in, week out, first name on the team shett despite scoring 3 goals in open play in a side that create 20 plus chances every week. He shouls have been put on the bench in October and he should be fighting for his place with the rest of them. Simple bad management. Potter was late dropping the keeper and he is 3/4 months late in dropping Maupay. I say this as tat is how it is, but np I dont want Potter sacked as I like him as a coach, but he needs to make some proper decisions up front. Starting today.

That is your opinions of course. Not saying they (particularly Maupay & Welbeck) shouldnt have made more of their chances but the amount of shit they (mostly Maupay) get compared to the impotent midfield is ridicilous. The way Brighton are playing most of the chances will come at the edge of the box making midfielders just as likely scorers (see United & City) as the strikers. Sure, if we had the same strikers as Leicester then it the goal tally would perhaps be a bit better (Leicester forwards scored 14 goals, Brighton forwards 11) but having a player like Maddison (8 goals, more than all Brighton midfielders together), Tielemans (5 goals) or this guy (9 goals)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wyrs85mskw

... would have made a bigger difference than getting a different striker in.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Out of interest, which forwards would you name as your starters today?

Not my job but they all seem pretty much as bad as each other, so may as well create competition for places, so depending on injuries, Wellbeck possibly. Whoever starts, Maupay would be on the bench. He wouldnt be out of the frame but point would be made. He gets in the side when he learns how to shoot. Down to him. We are now at a stage where we should be even looking at converting other squad members up front. I certainly would be getting them to practice looking where they shoot.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And how many shots did the player look where they were shooting, where the keeper was, where the defender was? You know the basics for shooting unless you play in an under 10's cub side? Inept. Such a good side but beyond dreadful in front of goal. How the manager can't see this and not address it in training is beyond me. How he has kept Maupay as first name on the team sheet since October shows that his judgement is flawed. Our midfield must be sick and tired of a centre forward who shoots like a 10 year old - without looking where he is shooting. Steve Foster as a centre back was better in front of goal than Maupay.

Why? They don't shoot any better.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Let's hope the players haven't been unduly affected/mentally scarred by the last match, put in a good shift and keep plugging away. You would think by the simple law of averages we should (playing the same way) get a comfortable win eventually. :angel:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What I'm most curious about today is what will be done about the defenders, wonder if it might be a straight four man back line with Veltman being allowed to go forward more than Burn, in order for Burn to deal with WBA playing it long and high, or if they will stick with Alzate as some kind of "least worst available LWB" thing. If there is a straight four man back line, I wonder if we'll see a second striker or another midfielder.

Could see some kind of curve ball in the lineup, like a wild Moder or Tau suddenly appearing. Will be interesting to see.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What I'm most curious about today is what will be done about the defenders, wonder if it might be a straight four man back line with Veltman being allowed to go forward more than Burn, in order for Burn to deal with WBA playing it long and high, or if they will stick with Alzate as some kind of "least worst available LWB" thing. If there is a straight four man back line, I wonder if we'll see a second striker or another midfielder.

Could see some kind of curve ball in the lineup, like a wild Moder or Tau suddenly appearing. Will be interesting to see.

I've gone LARGE on a 4-3-3 on Predict Potter's Picks with Burn in the orthodox left back position. I don't think Alzate has shone there and it's really not his position. I could be completely wrong of course, and we'll find out in 20 mins or so, but sacrificing Alzate, using Burn in the air and adding an extra midfielder or attacker makes perfect sense to me.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've gone LARGE on a 4-3-3 on Predict Potter's Picks with Burn in the orthodox left back position. I don't think Alzate has shone there and it's really not his position. I could be completely wrong of course, and we'll find out in 20 mins or so, but sacrificing Alzate, using Burn in the air and adding an extra midfielder or attacker makes perfect sense to me.

Yup, agree.

Funny (or actually not very) how Dan Burn has gone from being the players lots of people wanted (and still wants) out when things would look very grim without him atm, he is pretty much the most difficult player to replace in a starting eleven currently and it would be scary if he got injured or something. Club definitely needs to find another left foot or two in the summer, preferably someone able to play in multiple positions (including LB/LWB). Must be one of the most right footed squads in the league.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Can't call it today but certain there'll be at least one surprise. Either a big formation change or possibly something like 3 up front (4-3-3).
Monday was a shocker. I've felt so positive about things in 2021 but you just KNOW Allardyce is going to do us.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Alzate isn't doing enough ATM. Big argument for him being replaced by a CM or one of our forwards.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
EvPORSyWgAA_gpP.jpeg

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
2 strikers.

C’mon Brighton get us some points.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well that certainly has 4 at the back all over it.

4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or even 4-1-2-1-2. Quite possibly all three deployed at different times.

I likey. Has exactly the advantages Swanny stated.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well that certainly has 4 at the back all over it.

4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or even 4-1-2-1-2. Quite possibly all three deployed at different times.

I likey. Has exactly the advantages Swanny stated.

Minor point, but who goes into the back 4 should one of them get injured ???

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Looks very flexible. Bissouma protecting the back 3. 2 up front with Mac, Gross and Trossard interchangeable in midfield

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Yup, agree.

Funny (or actually not very) how Dan Burn has gone from being the players lots of people wanted (and still wants) out when things would look very grim without him atm, he is pretty much the most difficult player to replace in a starting eleven currently and it would be scary if he got injured or something. Club definitely needs to find another left foot or two in the summer, preferably someone able to play in multiple positions (including LB/LWB). Must be one of the most right footed squads in the league.

Matt Clarke on loan at Derby fits that bill.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Burn and Trossard on the left is a concern. Trossard will need to get back and help Burn out otherwise we’re in trouble

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here