Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Brom Snowball

Feb 14, 2010
We will, as you say, agree to differ. You know nothing of a teacher's workload as your ignorant comments about holidays show. Our work does not end when the children go home, and our working hours during term time are huge. And schools are under enormous pressure to succeed now, we don't have to wait 10 or 15 years for the Thatcherite "utopia" that you crave.

The needs of the children are the driving force NOW. Why do you think people become teachers? Everything that we do is to try to give kids a future that has hope and a chance of success. I don' t know what you do, but would not presume to know how your industry should be run. Why do you presume to know more about how education should be run than I do?

Both ignorant and arrogant.

Firstly lets dispel the work very hard during the summer myth. I like everyone else know teachers. i know of one who pisses off to the south of France for 5 weeks, then comes back and has the cheek to moan when she goes back to work that she's got it tough. It doesnt wash. Because someone does not agree with you, it does not mean they are arrogant or ignorant. If nothing else, please teach your kids that. Also because I see the advantages (and the limitations) of the market, it does not mean that I like Thatcher. As with everyone, I agree with some things she advocated, but disagreed with an equal number. My view is that education fails working class kids and therefore it needs to change. You are, understandably fighting for your own terms and conditions. Your concerns however should not be what drives education.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Firstly lets dispel the work very hard during the summer myth. I like everyone else know teachers. i know of one who pisses off to the south of France for 5 weeks, then comes back and has the cheek to moan when she goes back to work that she's got it tough. It doesnt wash. Because someone does not agree with you, it does not mean they are arrogant or ignorant. If nothing else, please teach your kids that. Also because I see the advantages (and the limitations) of the market, it does not mean that I like Thatcher. As with everyone, I agree with some things she advocated, but disagreed with an equal number. My view is that education fails working class kids and therefore it needs to change. You are, understandably fighting for your own terms and conditions. Your concerns however should not be what drives education.

Thank you for the advice of what I should teach the children. What else should I teach? Perhaps you' d like to write the curriculum?

And no, you're right, having a different view does not make you arrogant or ignorant. But it doesn't preclude it either. And you are.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
No mate, I just wish working class kids had the opportunity of a decent education. You see working class people raised with how parents and grandparents worked all hours and had numerous jobs just think certain people could work a little harder. No offence intended and I expect I dislike the dail mail more than you.

No offence intended? Laughable.

Feb 14, 2010
No offence intended? Laughable.

When difficult things need saying, they need saying. It does not mean offence is given or should be taken. I will allow you the view that the current education system does not need radical reform because it lets down children. You are entitled to that view. I however will not allow you to try and bully with insults anyone disagree with you. This is a well worn and failed tactic of public unions such as the tube drivers, teachers and the police federation. It does not wash with me however.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
When difficult things need saying, they need saying. It does not mean offence is given or should be taken. I will allow you the view that the current education system does not need radical reform because it lets down children. You are entitled to that view. I however will not allow you to try and bully with insults anyone disagree with you. This is a well worn and failed tactic of public unions such as the tube drivers, teachers and the police federation. It does not wash with me however.

'When difficult things need saying'...As Safeway says, you chose a thread about snowballs to attack me and my profession. And you think I'm the bully.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
How exactly are working class kids given unfair education? We all go to the same school and those who needed help were offered it regardless of social background.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Loving the idea that school and holidays are organised the way the are for any other reason than the fact that if school terms were longer and holidays were less then children would burn out. Any teacher or parent will tell you how tired children get at the end of term and how much they need the break of the holidays (especially young children).

Childhood is not and should not be about going to school every available hour it should be about playing and enjoying life.

Teacher bashing IMHO is incredible but coming from someone called 'Working Class Pride' (laughable really given many of his opinions spouted on here) is particularly idiotic. Teachers working across the world are doing as much if not more for the working classes as any other group or organisation.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Loving the idea that school and holidays are organised the way the are for any other reason than the fact that if school terms were longer and holidays were less then children would burn out. Any teacher or parent will tell you how tired children get at the end of term and how much they need the break of the holidays (especially young children).

Childhood is not and should not be about going to school every available hour it should be about playing and enjoying life.

Teacher bashing IMHO is incredible but coming from someone called 'Working Class Pride' (laughable really given many of his opinions spouted on here) is particularly idiotic. Teachers working across the world are doing as much if not more for the working classes as any other group or organisation.

That is true. However as a side issue, it's not working class kids that are the problem, it's the large class of kids who come from families where work was never a consideration.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That is true. However as a side issue, it's not working class kids that are the problem, it's the large class of kids who come from families where work was never a consideration.

True enough, i would say that even more so for those types of kids teachers are on of few positive role models they have and are one of even fewer influences that can get them out of the cycles they are caught in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here