Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were you there? Goldstone pitch invasions in 1996 and the final final game

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Fancy answering a few questions?

I'm doing a piece on the bad old days for college and could do with a few quotes from fellow fans who were there for the sad sad scenes.

If you're interested and online all I'd be after is a few short answers to questions about the atmopshere and mood during the final days of the Goldstone, and any Bellotti or Archer experiences would be a bonus.

PM me or reply here if you wouldn't mind helping out.

Chars

apologies if this is stating the obvious but have you read 'halftime at hereford' in NSC Gold? No better way to get an understanding of the emotions of the time.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
you sir, are a plank of the highest order, where have you got c18 from you couldn't dream that one up, reminds me of a incident after a fa cup replay against peterborough on a freezing night at the goldstone when some of their coaches were damaged and they were attacked outside the ground ,chelsea fans were blamed for that:lol:

Das Reich is a cock, but i have to agree with him on this one...YOU ARE A BLANK AND FULL OF SHIT

My memories of those two games:
1. standing in the North Stand and listening to the blokes next to me saying "they're late, they're late!!!" meaning the organised pitch invasion from the West Stand was a few minutes late :ohmy:

2. that grass from the old ground was crap! the bit I ripped up only lasted a couple of weeks in my garden before it died :)

3. the bundle at Hereford after the Reinelt goal was fun :yahoo::yahoo:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
apologies if this is stating the obvious but have you read 'halftime at hereford' in NSC Gold? No better way to get an understanding of the emotions of the time.

Top idea.

Cheers

The Doncaster match was not only the last ever match at the Goldstone, it was arguably the most important as the Conference had already declared we would not be allowed in if relegated. I travelled down from Mansfield ticketless and despite arriving at about 11.30, never got one. In fact the gates in the north-east corner were actually wide open at that time, with the odd steward/groundstaff walking in and out. I rue to this day the fact that I didn't have the bottle to stroll in and quickly secrete myself in the shrubs behind the North stand for three hours (would have got a drenching, but well worth it!). Can anyone tell me if the overgrowth that day would have been long enough for me to acheive this?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
So many incredable highs & lows in such a short time, it really was emotionally draining. Watching those clips still fills me with emotion.

As for the guy who thought it was all wrong, there were many like that, like Liz costa and the supporters club, but they eventually realised that it was a bunch of crooks stealing our ground and trying to run the club out of business, and they joined the fight as much as anyone.

I honestly didn't believe there could be any real fan out there who thought the fight was all wrong. left to their own devices, we would have no club today. Also the FL and FA were not bothered. It took the abandonment of a crucial 'last day' fixture to mean they had to take notice.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The people that run onto the pitch were not Brighton fans just idiots who played into the hands of Archer & Bellotti. That was the first & only time I've ever been truly ashamed to be a Brighton fan and I can remember standing in the north stand with around 2/3rds still in there booing those on the pitch.

It's also worth remembering that the trouble on the day was organised by Combat 18, the same group of thugs who caused the trouble at the Ireland V England game a couple of years after.

You fool.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So many incredable highs & lows in such a short time, it really was emotionally draining. Watching those clips still fills me with emotion.

As for the guy who thought it was all wrong, there were many like that, like Liz costa and the supporters club, but they eventually realised that it was a bunch of crooks stealing our ground and trying to run the club out of business, and they joined the fight as much as anyone.

I honestly didn't believe there could be any real fan out there who thought the fight was all wrong. left to their own devices, we would have no club today. Also the FL and FA were not bothered. It took the abandonment of a crucial 'last day' fixture to mean they had to take notice.

Word

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
It's also worth remembering that the trouble on the day was organised by Combat 18, the same group of thugs who caused the trouble at the Ireland V England game a couple of years after.

With the greatest of respect, I'm afraid what you say is utter bollox.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Fancy answering a few questions?

I'm doing a piece on the bad old days for college and could do with a few quotes from fellow fans who were there for the sad sad scenes.

If you're interested and online all I'd be after is a few short answers to questions about the atmopshere and mood during the final days of the Goldstone, and any Bellotti or Archer experiences would be a bonus.

PM me or reply here if you wouldn't mind helping out.

Chars

I lived every minute of the last goldstone season, and the York match, so PM away. Some of my proudest moments as an Albion fan fighting for the club that refused to die - to quote one of the tshirts during that time.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The people that run onto the pitch were not Brighton fans just idiots who played into the hands of Archer & Bellotti. That was the first & only time I've ever been truly ashamed to be a Brighton fan and I can remember standing in the north stand with around 2/3rds still in there booing those on the pitch.

Er, you sir, are a complete nob-end. Truth distortion like that could land you a job on LDC if you're not careful.
:tosser:

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania

:lolol::lolol::lolol: :tosser:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
What stays with me to this day is the eerie, echoing sound of the stadium being kicked and picked apart from almost straight after the final whistle. I wanted to quietly reflect and yet there was everyone treating the old place with such disrespect, just to get a bit of chair or some other memento.

I wanted to walk on the hallowed green pitch as it was for one last time, but by the time I got down there from the North Stand there were huge bald patches everywhere. I could understand people wanting a bit of turf and whatever but it felt wrong to me.

Agreed but as one of the souvenir hunters i had no idea of the seriousness of the situation.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
you sir, are a plank of the highest order, where have you got c18 from you couldn't dream that one up, reminds me of a incident after a fa cup replay against peterborough on a freezing night at the goldstone when some of their coaches were damaged and they were attacked outside the ground ,chelsea fans were blamed for that:lol:

just got back from the pub so will tell spasticseagull what i think of his comments as everyone is being far too nice.

what an insult, i have never seen so many lads from brighton turn out peacefully, stupidseagulll i can give you the name of dozens of people right now who will happily discuss your claim the york city day was influenced by neo-nazi's or c18. please pm me for further details, i look forward to it, put your money where your mouth is.

regards

the spanish

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North

You are talking absolute drivel. I was in the North Stand that day, we all knew the pitch invasion was going to happen at 3.15. The pitch was invaded from all the terraces around the ground, it wasn't just the young fans, fans of all ages came on the pitch which is what made it so different from any other pitch invasion and was why, ultimately, the press finally took notice of what was going on at our club. The pitch invasion wasn't a bunch of hooligans hell bent on stopping the match, it was desperate supporters trying to save our club. I'm proud to be able to say that I was part of that pitch invasion because I'm almost certain if the pitch invasion had never happened we wouldn't have a club to support today as it was the start of our supporters realising that together we could save our club.

That's interesting. I've never heard the Combat 18 connection before. I don't remember boos either. I was in the West Stand and heard nothing but cheering.

I was also at the Ireland v England game and can assure you that your post about Combat 18 is also a load of old bollocks, Supaseagull. Where did you hear that from? We England fans were indiscriminately charged by the Garda, attacked by the Irish fans and it was certainly not an organised trouble. I'm not saying all the England fans were saints but I suggest that you don't really know what you're talking about.

Ahh...yes. I seem to recall the tabloids pointing out fascist looking symbols on England flags. pssttt....say it quietly as it spoils a good conspiracy theory but those were West Ham Hammers! And didn't they also report that the Irish "teased" us with "You'll never beat the Irish"? Once again... I can faithfully report the actual chant was "You'll never beat the IRA".

Back to the York game - does anyone recall booing apart from our very own Nazi hunter, Supaseagull?

It has not been mentioned that the scenes at the York match were relayed live on TV nationally. I was watching the Saturday afternoon sports coverage at home in Mansfield oblivious of the planned action and was amazed and delighted when it came on. My gf at the time was aghast at me apparently encouraging hooliganism!
Maybe we should also spare a thought for the decent following of York City fans who had come a long way for 16 minutes of football. And for the replay, they had to get up at an unearthly hour to make the morning kick-off.

PS My post #44 should have read "gates in the north-west corner"

Last edited:

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
It has not been mentioned that the scenes at the York match were relayed live on TV nationally. I was watching the Saturday afternoon sports coverage at home in Mansfield oblivious of the planned action and was amazed and delighted when it came on. My gf at the time was aghast at me apparently encouraging hooliganism!
Maybe we should also spare a thought for the decent following of York City fans who had come a long way for 16 minutes of football. And for the replay, they had to get up at an unearthly hour to make the morning kick-off.

PS My post #44 should have read "gates in the north-west corner"

N's

"My gf at the time was aghast at me apparently encouraging hooliganism"!

How "aghast" was she!!

pigin stripes

Jul 18, 2003
Hove
I still have vivid memories of that last year at the Goldstone. I was still very new in my chosen profession, however somethings are more important !.
My first match at the ground was in 1976 after moving to Maple Gardens just off the old Shoreham Road and I went to every home game after that including all the evening reserve matches. With that in mind when some greedy money man sold my club........ I walked onto the pitch at 03:15 during the York game from my normal spot in the North stand, along with my father in law, neither of us were there to cause trouble but we needed for the world to know what was happening. My colleagues all knew what was going to happen as did the players. I remember standing by the broken goal thinking that should make good reading. I am proud what we did as supporters and that we led the way.
I was at the last game and still remember a colleague of mine laughing at me as he spotted me entering with my small garden hand fork. I am glad it was raining as it hid the many tears that many had. At the final whistle I collected the large piece of turf that I had come for.
The turf was split into 3 a piece in my garden, a piece in the father in laws and the third is now growing in a flower bed very close to where it came from!

:bowdown:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Das Reich is a cock, but i have to agree with him on this one...YOU ARE A BLANK AND FULL OF SHIT

My memories of those two games:
1. standing in the North Stand and listening to the blokes next to me saying "they're late, they're late!!!" meaning the organised pitch invasion from the West Stand was a few minutes late :ohmy:

2. that grass from the old ground was crap! the bit I ripped up only lasted a couple of weeks in my garden before it died :)

3. the bundle at Hereford after the Reinelt goal was fun :yahoo::yahoo:

Agree with absolutely all of that. Especially about the grass!! I seem to recall the Combat 18 story coming from someone on the radio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here