Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were you there? Goldstone pitch invasions in 1996 and the final final game

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Fancy answering a few questions?

I'm doing a piece on the bad old days for college and could do with a few quotes from fellow fans who were there for the sad sad scenes.

If you're interested and online all I'd be after is a few short answers to questions about the atmopshere and mood during the final days of the Goldstone, and any Bellotti or Archer experiences would be a bonus.

PM me or reply here if you wouldn't mind helping out.

Chars

jrmeag1

Sep 22, 2008
I decided to take part in a half time protest sit down at the goldstone during one of the final games, just felt i needed to make my point as it all felt a bit helpless at the time.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The York City pitch invasion, I ran on from the South Stand after there were about 150 or so people already on there. I was at boarding school at the time and we were allowed out on Saturdays, but we were warned that if we were caught going to the game then we would have been suspended. I did see a guy from the year above (Steve Bird) sunning himself in the centre circle and watched another chap from the year above hurling the substitute numbers at the directors box. Got a bit of turf that my mother eventually threw away. :angry: The turf of my friend is now safely growing somewhere in Southwater.

I remember the tannoy pleading with us to 'Get off the pitch. This is NOT the way to save your club' and a tearful little ginger haired kid telling everyone to get off, presumably because he wanted to watch the game.

Stood outside in the rain for the final game, watching from above the East Terrace. I had to captain my cricket match, that was eventually called off and the promised ticket had been sold on (before mobile phone days really). A scummy tout offered me one for £90 which I could not afford. Tried to bribe my way in, but to no avail. :down:

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004
What stays with me to this day is the eerie, echoing sound of the stadium being kicked and picked apart from almost straight after the final whistle. I wanted to quietly reflect and yet there was everyone treating the old place with such disrespect, just to get a bit of chair or some other memento.

I wanted to walk on the hallowed green pitch as it was for one last time, but by the time I got down there from the North Stand there were huge bald patches everywhere. I could understand people wanting a bit of turf and whatever but it felt wrong to me.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The York City pitch invasion, I ran on from the South Stand after there were about 150 or so people already on there. I was at boarding school at the time and we were allowed out on Saturdays, but we were warned that if we were caught going to the game then we would have been suspended. I did see a guy from the year above (Steve Bird) sunning himself in the centre circle and watched another chap from the year above hurling the substitute numbers at the directors box. Got a bit of turf that my mother eventually threw away. :angry: The turf of my friend is now safely growing somewhere in Southwater.

I remember the tannoy pleading with us to 'Get off the pitch. This is NOT the way to save your club' and a tearful little ginger haired kid telling everyone to get off, presumably because he wanted to watch the game.

Stood outside in the rain for the final game, watching from above the East Terrace. I had to captain my cricket match, that was eventually called off and the promised ticket had been sold on (before mobile phone days really). A scummy tout offered me one for £90 which I could not afford. Tried to bribe my way in, but to no avail. :down:

me and my brother in law were very prominent on the front page of the argus the york city day. we did not realise until getting back later and seeing my mum and her waving it under our noses. i would love the pic if anyone has it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
York City game: I was there but did not go onto the pitch. I stood in some kind of bemusement in the North Stand trying to work out in my head how it had come to this.

The final game, I was in the South East terrace, the only ticket I could get. Storers goal was probably the most bananas I had ever gone about a Brighton goal in my life up to that point (a certain Mr Reinelt surpassed that a week later). At the end I ran onto the pitch with everyone else, got myself about 1 square inch of turf, now long gone, then slowly made my way into the middle of the North Stand, sat down on my own, and cried my eyes out.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
BoF, out of interest why were your boarding school so determined for you not to go to the game? Was it just this game in particular? Or were you never allowed to enjoy games of a weekend?

Had they had trouble before with pupils at the Goldstone?

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
The York city game- I was one of the 1st onto the pitch and I was on the back page of the Sunday Mirror hanging of the cross bar, I think it was headed hooligans or something like it. A very bizzare build up to ko because everyone in the North stand that day, knew what was going to happen.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
York City game I was just a wee lad in the West Stand with my Dad, the best part of that whole experience for me was seeing my subsitute teacher on the front of the Argus (i think it was the front, anyway it was a HUGE picture).. going absolutely mental looking like he wanted to murder someone.

My mate brought it into school the next day.. ahaha!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The York City pitch invasion,
I remember the tannoy pleading with us to 'Get off the pitch. This is NOT the way to save your club' :

Wasn't that followed by some bullshit about needing the pitch for some sort of Steve Foster testimonial, or was that a different game or am i just making it up???

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The York city game- I was one of the 1st onto the pitch and I was on the back page of the Sunday Mirror hanging of the cross bar, I think it was headed hooligans or something like it. A very bizzare build up to ko because everyone in the North stand that day, knew what was going to happen.
The pitch invasion started in the west stand near the south stand.I was the 2nd or third person on the pitch.I remember the word got around that we will go onto the pitch around 10 past three.Some bloke next to me said, come on lets go at 12 past.

York City - hardly a pitch invasion - more of a gentle stroll onto the pitch once it became clear that the players weren't coming back out.

Lots of riot police on the pitch keeping us away from the dangerous York City "rioters"

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
York City - hardly a pitch invasion - more of a gentle stroll onto the pitch once it became clear that the players weren't coming back out.

Lots of riot police on the pitch keeping us away from the dangerous York City "rioters"

Hardly a pitch invasion? You are talking out of your arse mate.Goal posts were ripped down and the game called off.It certainly wasn't a riot like the NOTW said.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
The people that run onto the pitch were not Brighton fans just idiots who played into the hands of Archer & Bellotti. That was the first & only time I've ever been truly ashamed to be a Brighton fan and I can remember standing in the north stand with around 2/3rds still in there booing those on the pitch.

It's also worth remembering that the trouble on the day was organised by Combat 18, the same group of thugs who caused the trouble at the Ireland V England game a couple of years after.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The people that run onto the pitch were not Brighton fans just idiots who played into the hands of Archer & Bellotti. That was the first & only time I've ever been truly ashamed to be a Brighton fan and I can remember standing in the north stand with around 2/3rds still in there booing those on the pitch.

It's also worth remembering that the trouble on the day was organised by Combat 18, the same group of thugs who caused the trouble at the Ireland V England game a couple of years after.
What a load of drivel super fan

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Bluejuice, how old are you and what is this piece of work precisely for? Just curious is all...

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

i have read so much bollocks in my life. that is ridiculous.

you have to be a troll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here