Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We're in todays Sunday Times

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just a little bit where Rod Liddle has us a top 6.

Plus a fair few paragraphs on Gus & Tony, fairly usual stuff but all very positive, no gamble from Bloom as (here's the best bit) Gus is likely to be far better than his contemporaries, Zola, Ruud, Roberto, and Vialli.

Fingers crossed.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Brighton in bloom as Poyet sets sights on promotion

The League One club's manager, Gus Poyet, has his sights set on the promised land of plenty after years of purgatory.

The nearest commercial premises by some distance to the new Brighton & Hove Albion stadium rising at the foot of the South Downs is an establishment called the Park Farm Shop, run out of a small barn, which gives some idea of the tortured process that the club has gone through to find itself a new home.

With the new development the owner, Peter Lenihan, could massively increase his business, particularly if he extends his range beyond free-range eggs and sacks of potatoes, but he remains as vociferous an opponent as any other in Falmer, the village five miles north of Brighton where the new stadium is now rising.

However, a visit from Gus Poyet and even farmer Lenihan might be swept along by the messianic zeal and stirring vision displayed by the Uruguayan, which has reinforced the notion amongst scarred Brighton fans that their hour of resurgence is finally at hand.

Not only are the four domes of the stadium dominating the landscape on this part of the A27, but Poyet has just signed a four-year contract which means he will be leading Brighton into the promised land of their own stadium next season, 14 years after being cast out of the Goldstone Ground. From Saturday, he starts the challenge of trying to ensure that they do so as a Championship club.

“Everybody is dreaming that this could be the perfect year, going into a new stadium and back into the Championship, but I am realistic that there are three or four clubs in the division who financially are pushing hard to go up,” Poyet says. “But I like the pressure and I accept the responsibilities.”

The stadium has been a good news story around Brighton for a few years now, but back in November Brighton’s position on the field was as precarious as ever, with the club in 20th position in League One.

The owner, Tony Bloom, faced with the danger of a disastrous crash into League Two as his pride and joy took shape, sacked Russell Slade, the club’s eighth manager in eight years. Bloom could have been forgiven for making a more conservative choice in protecting his £80m investment in the club rather than somebody who had never managed before and had been out of work since leaving Tottenham along with Juande Ramos 13 months earlier.

But Bloom’s gamble has so far paid off as handsomely as any he has made on the professional poker circuit he is a member of. Poyet turned things round so successfully that the club lost only three games away from home for the rest of the season, finished 13th and played with a flair that hadn’t been seen since the days of Peter Ward and Gerry Ryan.

If Poyet can improve the home form in their last season at the much unloved Withdean stadium - “the worst in the division” Poyet calls it, - then they will have a real chance of reaching their goal for this season of a top six finish.

“Maybe Southampton, Sheffield [Wednesday] and Huddersfield [Town] will have better individual players because they can afford them while the rest of us can’t, so you need to compensate with the team. If you can make the team work with the system that you play then you have a chance and that is the way we are going to compete. I think we have the seventh largest budget in the division so it is up to me to prove that I can put the team in the top six.”

With the exception of Di Matteo, his Chelsea contemporaries have not fared terribly well in trying to teach the English game continental habits.

It will help that Poyet already has experience working as an assistant in all four divisions, first with Wise at Swindon Town and Leeds United and then with Ramos. The man from Montevideo might just go one better than them all, having already shown that he won’t be shoved around in the roughhouses of the lower leagues.

“I am not an extreme person. I am not like ’this is my way and that is it, win or lose’. During the game you need to have other options. In England you call them Plan B. Plan B, C, D, call them whatever you want. But you need to have other options. We believe our way is the best way, but if it doesn’t work, we try another way.”

While Poyet successfully rescued the club last season, it gnawed away at him that his contract was due to expire shortly before the stadium was due to open and he knew the uncertainty was bound to spread beyond his own feelings. Hence his delight when he and Bloom agreed on a four-year extension that puts the focus back on the football.

“If I am not here in four years it’s because I was rubbish and got sacked. Or something over the top comes along. I am not talking about a Championship club or, say, a French club. Maybe the [Uruguayan] national team. It would have to be something where even the chairman says you need to go. If not, I am expecting to be here a long time.” A rock to go with the foundations. Brighton fans hold their breath and hope it’s not all too good to be true.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Rod Liddle

In League One I guess that Huddersfield Town will push Wednesday and Southampton hard, and Notts County and Charlton will go close. My suspicion is that Swindon over-achieved a little last season; Brighton could well be the surprise package.

You would stake your money on Hartlepool and Rochdale to go down. The last two relegation berths should see an East End scrap, jellied eels flying all over the place, between Leyton Orient and Dagenham, with Yeovil breathing the stench of rotting turnips down their necks.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Good article by Liddle. Slates Palace and Gillingham, and praises us. Shame he's Millwall.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Exciting times ahead, hold tight, this could quite realistically be the start of the best years for the Albion fans since the days of Bamber, Ward and Mullery. :amex:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is the farm shop guy so anti-Falmer then?

I thought (don't know where I got the idea from) that he was alright about it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

He's no entrepreneur, I think we say that is a FACT. If you can't beat 'em make money out of them should really be his motto. But no he'll sit and sulk and get more bitter and twisted by the day probably.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
From football.co.uk

26 Jul 2010 - 09:14:39

Terry Pierce - League One Season Preview
Terry Pierce - League One Season Preview

With the start of the npower Football League season less than a fortnight away, Football.co.uk's npower Football League blogger Terry Pierce moves on to League One this week.

League One is a darn sight easier to predict than the bottom tier. In fact, at times last year there were three divisions in one, with the top seven miles ahead of the rest.

And it doesn’t look like being too different this time around, with an almighty scrap between seven or eight sides for the top spots, a handful who are already consigned to mid-table and the rest desperate for mere survival.

In the third tier, like any other league, money talks and Southampton have the paper stuff coming out of their ears.They already boast a ridiculously good strike force in the shape of Rickie Lambert, Lee Barnard and David Connolly and have got the cheque book out over the summer to strengthen at full-back, with Frazier Richardson, Ryan Dickson and Danny Butterfield heading south.If they add one or two more faces, particularly in the centre of the park, next season could well be the canter that their fans love to predict.

But the Saints won't have it all their own way. Huddersfield Town have caught the eye with their summer transfer dealings and their new-look centre midfield partnership of Scott Arfield and Joey Gudjohnsen looks tasty, while Gary Naysmith and Jamie McCombe should help reduce the 'goals against' column that held them back last year.

Swindon and Charlton finished in the top six alongside the Terriers last season but will have a battle on their hands to push for a play-off spot again after losing key players.

The Robins have lost top scorer Billy Paynter and skipper Gordon Greer but the capture of David Prutton to play alongside Jonathan Douglas looks shrewd business and their links with Premier League sides will see a number of promising loanees arrive in Wiltshire.

The Addicks have also lost their top striker - Deon Burton - and their captain - Nicky Bailey - as well as another five of the 11 that played Swindon in the play-offs, and with the financial constraints currently being experienced, Phil Parkinson has so far struggled to find replacements.

Alongside the Saints and the three losing sides in last year's play-offs, the three promoted sides will be hoping to bounce back the Championship at the first attempt.

Sheffield Wednesday have signed some proven quality at this level, with Paul Heffernan, Neil Mellor and Clinton Morrison combining to create a rather strong strike-force, but they could yet lose a couple of key names ahead of the kick-off, with Lee Grant and Marcus Tudgay linked with moves away from Hillsborough.

Peterborough also look in good shape and with Gary Johnson at the helm they'll be in with a shout of a top six finish, but Plymouth are in desperate need of investment if they're to challenge. New boss Peter Reid has yet to really dip his toes in the transfer market and he'll need to make some big moves if Argyle are to be competitive this season.

Brighton look the best placed from last year's also-rans to make an impact on the upper echelons of League One, and with a move to their new stadium on the horizon, everyone in Sussex will be busting a gut to get back to the Championship in time for the move.

At the other end, two of the four promoted sides - Notts County and Bournemouth - will have more than enough to survive and may even push for mid-table obscurity.However, the other two - Rochdale and Dagenham & Redbridge - would bite your hand off if you offered them survival right now.

Tranmere just about survived last year and are in for another tough season, while up in the North East, Hartlepool fans will be praying rumours of a big cash injection are true because without they're almost nailed on for the drop.

Carlisle, Exeter, Oldham and Yeovil will all be looking over their shoulders for the majority of the campaign but should have enough to pull clear of the bottom four, although one of them may slip into trouble.

If the promotion battle is anywhere near as intense and dramatic as last season, the top end of League One will once again be a cracking spectacle, but for sides such as Oldham and Hartlepool, who have been dodging the bullet of relegation for a couple of seasons, this campaign may finally be one too many.

Tip for the top Southampton

Outside bet Brighton

Destined for the drop Hartlepool

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He's no entrepreneur, I think we say that is a FACT. If you can't beat 'em make money out of them should really be his motto. But no he'll sit and sulk and get more bitter and twisted by the day probably.

Oh OK.

The location of our new gaff is another thing that makes it so different to most places. Yes, I appreciate there's a university there, but most new grounds are surrounded by Toys R' Us:angry:, Asdas, TGI Fridays, Premier Inns and Fitness First gyms.

Whereas we have a bunch of fields, lots of trees, a pond and a farm shop.

Sweet :lolol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

If so, I sense an opportunity to win him round...how about people going in to buy his produce, proudly displaying the stripes and stating that they will support any business that is near the stadium...once he starts hearing the sound of the till ringing his attitude will change forever.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
If so, I sense an opportunity to win him round...how about people going in to buy his produce, proudly displaying the stripes and stating that they will support any business that is near the stadium...once he starts hearing the sound of the till ringing his attitude will change forever.

Good idea. While you're up there, can you get me a dozen eggs and a bag of King Edwards. I'll pick them up later.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

I don't think the farm shop owner can be anti-stadium.
There is a copy of the "Artist's impression" of the finished ground on the notice board outside the shop. I was pleasantly surprised to see it there.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I have already shopped there several times on my trips to Falmer - very pleasant staff and pretty reasonable prices. I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Yabba Dabba Do

Oct 31, 2009
sunny seaFORD
I don't think the farm shop owner can be anti-stadium.
There is a copy of the "Artist's impression" of the finished ground on the notice board outside the shop. I was pleasantly surprised to see it there.

I dont think the farm shop owner can be anti-stadium either. I was told that all that chalk that was excavated and due to be re-homed via x lorry loads in Worthing instead made the very short journey to farmer giles field - for a little consideration, of course

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here