Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"were all in this together" "

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I know that people will divide on party political lines, but making decisions to slavishly follow the dogma of the Express editorial simply won't work, as illustrated here

Plans to axe scores of quangos will not save much money or improve accountability, MPs have warned.

A Commons committee found the whole process was "poorly managed" - its Conservative chairman Bernard Jenkin said it had been "botched".

The committee said pre-election claims about how much could be saved were "probably exaggerated".

But Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude told the BBC it would save "significantly more" than £1bn.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I wasn't questioning cameron - although i have met him and have issues with him based on a previous role he held. I think you may be mixing up intellect and intelligence. As for how osborne's doing? I have already given my view that the emergency budget and spending review have not been the success that many have been claiming. I also think the way the spending review was conducted and the frustration of his colleagues that led to the Liam fox plea to cameron, coupled with the concerns about the proposals for child benefit show that he lacks something for this role.

Ok but it is really just to early to say whether it has been a success or not and to me the majority of economic indicators, GDP figures in 3Q10, 4Q10, inter-governmental borrowing rates, FTSE, UK credit ratings, Sterling exchange rate, suggest it is not the disaster that you have intimated (and I am talking about UK PLC as a whole and not individual cases, if people start talking about that I can tell them that my family have felt a lot of pain with private sector redundancies in 2008/9). The only things you have are what may happen in the future i.e the cuts are going to be devastating, that may be the case, but it also may not be the case and to me so far they do not seem to be having too bad an effect on the UK economic situation as a whole.

Also the man has to make cuts that is the nature of the economic situation he finds himself in, if it isn't Liam Fox complaining it is going to be the health secretary or the home secretary or someone else. That is the nature of the beast he is dealing with. Cuts will bring pain to wherever they are made and I am sorry I think they have to be made, if you don't that is your opinion. Even Labour admits cuts need to be made, it is just a question of when....and in my opinion they would have been wrong to delay, it would have looked like denial and no political gumption nor will to deal with the problem to the markets.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Its official the coalition’s bonfire of the quangos is something of a damp squib.

The Tory lead coalition has botched its flagship plans to scrap nearly 200 quangos.

A report published today suggests that the Con Dem ambitions were naïve and says that they faced difficulties in ‘translating ambitions pre-election into deliverable policy’.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Its official the coalition’s bonfire of the quangos is something of a damp squib.

The Tory lead coalition has botched its flagship plans to scrap nearly 200 quangos.

A report published today suggests that the Con Dem ambitions were naïve and says that they faced difficulties in ‘translating ambitions pre-election into deliverable policy’.

This is a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Labour Party.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

You really are a bore. Either put forward a decent political argument or f*** off.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006

Other than criticising the Tories with school boy tactics, do you post about Brighton and Hove Albion? Are you an ex-miner or a minor?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Talking of intellectual giants it is a good job that the present Labour Shadow Chancellor isn't in charge of running the economy in it's perilous state, as by his OWN admission knows NOTHING about economics. Brilliant and inspired appointment Ed!

The shadow chancellor does it again!

BBC News - Alan Johnsons economic instincts right - Ed Miliband

Just a mere 7.2% out on what the NI rate paid by employers is. Is there not a day goes by where this bloke shows he is completely at sea with the very, very (most) important portfolio he has been given. Still it's Osbourne who is the dullard and not Alan Johnson isn't it???

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Yeah but according to Milliband, Johnson will be a better Chanceller because he, Johnson, know the difference between a good tax and a bad tax. This apears to be all you need to be in charge of the nations finance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here