Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wenger and Walcott

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
This from the BBC website:

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has urged England counterpart Sven-Goran Eriksson to give Theo Walcott a World Cup run.

"It seems he'll come on when they don't score," Wenger said of the 17-year-old.

"I don't think the whole World Cup can rely on Theo but he can certainly come on and make a difference - why not start him in a game or two?"

That's a bit ironic, isn't it? Wenger urging Eriksson to start Walcott in a game or two at international level when he hasn't even given the lad a minute or two at club level yet.

I wonder if he's had a bet on France for the World Cup?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Wenger = Cock Sausage. Hasn't he openly said he doesn't care about England? I have no problem with that but using England as a personal vetting ground for his young stars does piss me off. Also stops him looking a mug and keeps Walcott happy even though he is not playing for Arsenal.:angry:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
If Walcott is that good surely Weneger would have him in the Champions League Final squad/travelling party, but no he is not going.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe it's a Welsh thing, what with them not qualifying and all that.

But don't you think the Laughing Bluebird is getting just a little bit obsessed with the whole Theo Walcott issue?

Ever since the squad was announced he's been going on about why he shouldn't be picked (based largely it seems on one crap game against the mighty Cardiff).

Well I think we're all over the shock now, and wishing him well, so if you don't mind, LB, we'll get on with supporting the lad and the rest of the squad in Germany.

For what it's worth, there's always a few players in every squad who don't play, or who sit around the pool for most of the tournament. I for one would rather one of these so-called "wasted places" went to someone like Walcott, who MIGHT just pull something special out of a hat, than someone like Philip Neville, who's just there to sit on the bench and fill a shirt.

Leave Theo alone, LB!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
edna krabappel said:
Ever since the squad was announced he's been going on about why he shouldn't be picked
To be fair, you could probably level that at me as well.
:down:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Easy 10 said:
To be fair, you could probably level that at me as well.
:down:

Okay

Even since the squad was named you have being saying what he should not be going.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well it was still a surprise to most people.

But now I just think we should let the kid get on with it.

Sven can't really lose: if Walcott does nothing, then it's no different to half the other squad players who've gone to World Cups before and warmed the bench. Like I said, better him to get that experience than Phil Neville or Nicky Butt. Or countless other crap Johnny No-Stars who've had a free trip to Mexico, France, Korea etc on the FA in previous years.

And IF there's even a tiny chance that Theo could do something utterly brilliant, then it's worth a gamble surely.

You have to admit there's something ever so slightly exciting and frankly un-English in taking someone who's such a gamble. For years we've complained about the team being full of safe, unexciting but solid veterans and managers' favourites. Well for once we've taken a punt on a long shot, and not a long shot of the John Fashanu/Andy Sinton variety.

I can't wait :clap2:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
(mind you, it is a bit cheeky of Wenger to claim he should be playing for England when he hasn't so much brought him on as a sub for the Arse yet).

But then Walcott isn't French enough I suppose.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
edna krabappel said:
Well it was still a surprise to most people.

But now I just think we should let the kid get on with it.

Sven can't really lose: if Walcott does nothing, then it's no different to half the other squad players who've gone to World Cups before and warmed the bench. Like I said, better him to get that experience than Phil Neville or Nicky Butt. Or countless other crap Johnny No-Stars who've had a free trip to Mexico, France, Korea etc on the FA in previous years.

And IF there's even a tiny chance that Theo could do something utterly brilliant, then it's worth a gamble surely.

You have to admit there's something ever so slightly exciting and frankly un-English in taking someone who's such a gamble. For years we've complained about the team being full of safe, unexciting but solid veterans and managers' favourites. Well for once we've taken a punt on a long shot, and not a long shot of the John Fashanu/Andy Sinton variety.

I can't wait :clap2:

Like I have said on other threads. He will either do nothing or set the world alight and keep Rooney out if he ever gets fit.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
If Sven called me up I would go. I have no problem with Walcott, good luck to the lad. It's that bald, charisma bypass that needs a good talking to. He's so far up the FA and Wenger's arse it's unreal, he needs to grow some balls. And then he needs to grow a brain.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Les Biehn said:
If Sven called me up I would go. I have no problem with Walcott, good luck to the lad. It's that bald, charisma bypass that needs a good talking to. He's so far up the FA and Wenger's arse it's unreal, he needs to grow some balls. And then he needs to grow a brain.

We talking about Sven or Walcott

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Wardywonderland said:
Like I have said on other threads. He will either do nothing or set the world alight and keep Rooney out if he ever gets fit.

Or he might just be average. Or completely useless. Or slightly better than average.

Let's just give the lad a chance. Yes it's a huge shock and a gamble but somehow you just KNOW Darren Bent/Jermain Defoe/Harewood or whoever else will do absolutely f*** all against the best defences in the world. The Anti-Sven brigade on here are always harping on about how bland and predictable he is, now he's taken a big chance on an exciting youngster who was always destined to light up the world stage. Theo has that unknown quantity and fearlessness (is there such a word?) about him that might just make him our surprise package.

Go on Theo :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here