Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wembley stadium R.I.P

Jan 30, 2008
final nail in the coffin last night 76K including 2 K cloggies and all you coud hear were the players voices and a tin pot rendition from the "band"

sorry state of affairs , been lucky enough to experience a proper Wembley atmosphere on a few occasions, the last game against Scotland at the old Wembley would be one of them, wouldn't be interested in going to the new one SOULESS EXPERIENCE SO I'VE BEEN INFORMED :nono:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I agree.... was a poor poor atmosphere even with the two last late england goals and with argueably the best away support anywhere...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I went to Wembley for Fabio's first game in charge. The atmosphere was a little flat, but I still enjoyed it. The main prohibitive factor for me not going any more is the price, and the fact there are very few weekend games.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm sure that the atmosphere is slightly better for a cup final, play off or an international that means something.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
you would probably have appreciated being one of the 23,000 who went to Cardiff as a tribute to their former manager - they waved their bits of paper as instructed to make the word "Gary" and where there were no bums on the seats it didn't matter, which was just as well :(

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
final nail in the coffin last night 76K including 2 K cloggies and all you coud hear were the players voices and a tin pot rendition from the "band"

sorry state of affairs , been lucky enough to experience a proper Wembley atmosphere on a few occasions, the last game against Scotland at the old Wembley would be one of them, wouldn't be interested in going to the new one SOULESS EXPERIENCE SO I'VE BEEN INFORMED :nono:

So a Euro play-off game against Scotland had a better atmosphere than a meaningless friendly against the Dutch? Who'd of thunk it?

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
I went to the Carling Cup Final on Sunday, and no-one could complain about the atmosphere there. Ditto last year, where Birmingham (unexpectedly) made more noise than I've ever heard before at a football match.

So I suspect it's the match and its significance rather than the stadium itself.

Jan 30, 2008
I went to the Carling Cup Final on Sunday, and no-one could complain about the atmosphere there. Ditto last year, where Birmingham (unexpectedly) made more noise than I've ever heard before at a football match.

So I suspect it's the match and its significance rather than the stadium itself.
i'm talking about England games :rolleyes:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I was there last night, it was Dull as anything, I wasnt expecting much, but the noise levels were at times like Withdean.

However the whole time I was there id love to see us get to Wembley would be truely a special day out, ALBION on mass tearing the Oppo apart, that would make for a good atmosphere.

if we do make it, avoid pies at all costs, 7.10 for a pie. 4.50 for a bottle of carlseburg which was then poored into a pint glass filling it a mear 3/4's of the cup. later saw pricess for food, 10.50 for some burger with onions rings in it, 9.10 for a small fish and chips and 8.50 for a piece of chicken and chips.

Thank God for the prices at the Amex, although they did have a good queing systems, still couldnt pull pints quick enough though.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
I find England Atmospheres to be painful. I was there in 2010 for the JPT final 45,000 saints fans completely raised the roof, had they given us the extra 10,000 we wanted it would have no doubt been even louder, amazing atmosphere that day. I think the mix of people is too varied at international games, each clubs supporters have their own cultures which don't mix as one.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
not that one, was the last of the Home internationals.

What are you talking about? "the last game against Scotland at the old Wembley..." was the Euro Qualifier when we lost 1-0 on the night but went through, in November 1999. I was there too, and a knock out game against the Sweaties cannot be remotely compared to a meaningless friendly against the Dutch.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Has there EVER been a decent atmosphere at a meaningless friendly ? The crowd is hardly going to get going when its a nothing game, where nobody in the stadium gives a shit about the result.

Its just a game for tourists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here