Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Welsh language: what's the point?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
MYOB said:
Where? Not in West Donegal for the past thirty years (or more - I blame UTV :p) has it been spoken by anyone under the age of about 50, beyond when theres money to be made from it. Indeed, after the main branch of The Cope went on fire, its even gone off their new aisle signs, receipts, etc - its dead in most of The Rosses, which is meant to be "the core of the Gaeltacht" according to some Údarás publication I've seen recently. Mass hasn't been said in Irish in the Burtonport parish in quite some time (indeed, when double-checking the name of the parish, the parish and church websites for it are entirely in English)

Indeed, the last place I heard it being spoken in Donegal was Stranolar. Which isn't in the Gaeltacht. And hasn't been for Quite Some Time legally either.

I'm from further North of Burtonport. I don't know if this would come under your "West Donegal" bracket or not, but if so you are very wrong. We hail from Gaoth Dobhair and I was over not so long ago and everything was done in Irish - just as it was when I grew up, the schools teach in Irish, mass was said in Irish etc. And thanks to the OLA03 all the names/signs are in Irish as well.

And not everyone in Gaoth Dobhair is after money from grants or summer students, most of them just hate anything English and have stuck to their own! lol

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here