Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well Southampton think the Amex is shit

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
Oh.

I like your new ground.

Been to the goldstone and withdean. Chances are a lot of you internet-youngsters never went to the goldstone init? Now that was a proper ground. But then in those days they were all proper grounds. The Dell is now posh housing, and you can buy a sofa, a fridge, a toy and a burger on the Goldstone now.

Mehh. I still prefer your new gaf. But you do need to finish it. Looks like a show home at the moment. Looks like you haven't fully moved in. Get those extra seats in. The North Stand looks bizarre marooned on its self. The Big stand is good. But feking fill in those empty gaps.... It really does need finishing..

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh.

I like your new ground.

Been to the goldstone and withdean. Chances are a lot of you internet-youngsters never went to the goldstone init? Now that was a proper ground. But then in those days they were all proper grounds. The Dell is now posh housing, and you can buy a sofa, a fridge, a toy and a burger on the Goldstone now.

Mehh. I still prefer your new gaf. But you do need to finish it. Looks like a show home at the moment. Get those extra seats in. The North Stand looks bizarre marooned on its self. The Big stand is good. But feking fill in those empty gaps.... It really does need finishing..

Did you buy a program today?....

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
People always like there own home rather than someones else's.

My first trip to St Mary's early in the season and i thought it lacked character tbh, boring old bowl of a stadium. Love the uniqueness of The Amex and its location on the hills.

Meh.

Oct 25, 2003
Oh.

I like your new ground.

Mehh. I still prefer your new gaf. But you do need to finish it. Looks like a show home at the moment. Looks like you haven't fully moved in. Get those extra seats in. The North Stand looks bizarre marooned on its self. The Big stand is good. But feking fill in those empty gaps.... It really does need finishing..

yeah we know that......which is why we're, you know, doing it?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Tweets from Brighton Fans | SaintsWeb

Outsung us for the whole match?.Does sound not travel across the Amex?.

No. from the south end of the east stand all you hear was the saints end. The north stand was barely audible.

Depends where you are in the ground how it sounds.
Those in the north stand will think the north sounds very loud but not from the south. hence why after every game each sets of fans claim the each other was quiet.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This really fucks me off. How dare the fans of ANY club in this country bar those with huge stadiums knock The Amex, let alone those with a drab bowl on an industrial estate like Southampton. I love the fact The Amex isn't a single tier all the way round in a continuous bowl. That's just boring and overdone in English football. I love the fact we have different stands. It's got character and feeling. It's got an amazing atmosphere. It looks simply STUNNING from the outside and you can really tell where the money has gone when you're inside. The padded seats, the clean concourses, the spotless toilets - it's like a bloody airport rather than a football ground. Simply breathtaking. And it's only going to get better when we've got thousands packed to the roof in every available space. I have honestly never loved anything in my life like I love The Amex, so any cretins from amateur clubs like Southampton can quite frankly f*** off if they think it's anything other than one of this country's top ten arenas.

Seconded!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Did you buy a program today?....

Those diagrams looked amazing. Also backed up what i'd been told about 2 tiered corners in the North West and South West corners plus also there will be some seats in the North East corner and just a small gap for the ambulance etc - looks amazing!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I didnt like it, its lopsided and a nightmare to get away from

Go back to your boring bowl!

Why is it a nightmare to get away from? I left after the final whistle, got straight on a train to Lewes and was back in London by 6.30. Piece of piss!

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
Any why is it lopsided? Because it is not finished..........

Actually, no. It is lopsided because it has to fulfill its pledge to the NIMBYs in Posh Sussex and Lewes council to blend in with the downs.

Which is why the West Stand is Big, because it is lower on the eye from further away.. the whole stadium is carved out of the chalk downs.

But why not have the pitch rotated 90 degs? Play to a goal at the big stand?

Btw I canvased Mr Lepper MP when the whole thing went to government to be agreed, and I am damn pleased I did because I was fed up with watching Albion at the withdump.

Last edited:

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Actually, no. It is lopsided because it has to fulfill its pledge to the NIMBYs in Posh Sussex and Lewes council to blend in with the downs.

Which is why the West Stand is Big, because it is lower on the eye from further away.. the whole stadium is carved out of the chalk downs.

But why not have the pitch rotated 90 degs? Play to a goal at the big stand?

Don't be silly. To have the West Stand behind a goal and the North Stand along the side would look ridiculous. Fact is when the stadium is finished, nobody will be saying it is lopsided.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
Don't be silly. To have the West Stand behind a goal and the North Stand along the side would look ridiculous. Fact is when the stadium is finished, nobody will be saying it is lopsided.

So will the East stand be three tiered?

mmmm.

It is a lopsided stadium., My point was, at conception, why not back the Big Stand off 30 yards and have the pitch play that way?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Tweets from Brighton Fans | SaintsWeb

Outsung us for the whole match?.Does sound not travel across the Amex?.

Yes it does. I sit right next to the away end, and believe me, I could here the North and West clearly, and sometimes the East too. They did sound loud during a couple of their songs, but not a patch on Leeds and dare I say it Palace, or indeed our away following. Anyone who listens to away matches on BBC Sussex will say that all game you can hear us. As for whether or not they like our stadium, who the hell cares?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here