Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done Mark McGhee

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well done Mark McGhee, got tactics spot on against West Ham.

If he gets three days of stick after Crewe he deserves at least one thread of praise after yesterday!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I like his thinking.A tactical genius and has only got f*cked up recently because he was trying to run before he could walk.

Slow down Mark! Look for the play-offs only when F*lmers being built.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Every other Brighton manager that I can recall, Hinshelwood excepted, has been reluctant to try anything truely different or original. Mark McGhee is like a breath of fresh air, he doesn't always get it right but I defy anyone to name a living manager who would have done better than McGhee with the resources he has.

Horton let his head rule his heart and got too involved to be any good at this level with meagre resources.

Adams is not in the same league, tactically, imo and we would have a team running round a 100 miles an hour being confrontational.

Taylor by his own admission couldn't hack it with what he was offered, which at the time is probably more than McGhee was offered when he came here.

Coppell is a master tactician but needs a nucleus of the same players around him at all his clubs and they would all have been beyond our means.

The danger is McGhee being poached at the end of the season by a much bigger and more attractive team than us. Anyone want to bet against West Ham making him an offer??

Last edited:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Icy Gull said:
Every other Brighton manager that I can recall, Hinshelwood excepted, has been reluctant to try anything truely different or original. Mark McGhee is like a breath of fresh air, he doesn't always get it right but I defy anyone to name a living manager who would have done better than McGhee with the resources he has.

Horton let his head rule his heart and got too involved to be any good at this level with meagre resources.

Adams is not in the same league, tactically, imo and we would have a team running round a 100 miles an hour being confrontational.

Taylor by his own admission couldn't hack it with what he was offered, which at the time is probably more than McGhee was offered when he came here.

Coppell is a master tactician but needs a nucleus of the same players around him at all his clubs and they would all have been beyond our means.

The danger is McGhee being poached at the end of the season by a much bigger and more attractive team than us. Anyone want to bet against West Ham making him an offer??

There's always going to be that sort of talk but as i once again set myself up for a fall by devoting all my love to him i think this time it's different. He's dumped on people before and has got such a bad reputation from doing this that by his own words he promises to be faithful.

I believe him.:shootself

Spicy2

Aug 12, 2004
London
I will happily join in the praise of Mark McGhee and even though I have been doubtful about his tactics over the last couple of matches he was spot on yesterday. Its a case of if you never try something how do you know whether it works and it takes a brave man to try. He deserves praise in my book.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I guess the point is if you try the unorthodox, sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't. It only has to work 50 per cent of the time for McGhee this season and we will stay up.

But yes, perhaps we'll be hearing a little less on NSC this week about how Millwall fans criticised him for trying the unorthodox :)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I like his honesty. He admits it if he gets it wrong and doesn't find excuses. He even admits it when we don't deserve to win (Swindon)

He is also quick to praise the players.

Clarke Quay

Oct 27, 2004
Hampshire
There will still be times this season when we need to revert to the tried and tested Carpenter and Oatway in midfield, defend deep and nick a set piece goal formula. But how much longer can we do this beyond this year? I agree with Icy Gull; McGhee is the only manager who has looked to the future and the inevitable end of Adams's nucleus of the team. It hasn't always worked and he's acknowledged that. But he's trying.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Magoooooooo definately deserves full credit for yesterday.

West ham are so easy to suss at home......

Play defensive game
keep home side out for an hour
this frustrates the crowd
They get on the players backs
Away team score with one and only attack

It's soooo simple for away teams and mcGhee and your boys deserve FULL credit for exploiting that.

(that f***ing hurt to say that :shootself )

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
MM messed up tactically at home to Crewe, IMHO... made too many unforced changes when he only needed to replace one striker with another...

However, he was a tactical genius yesterday... (and Pardew wasn't, and never will be BTW)...

Well done, MM... :) :)

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Yorkie said:
I like his honesty. He admits it if he gets it wrong and doesn't find excuses. He even admits it when we don't deserve to win (Swindon)

He is also quick to praise the players.

One thing we agree on Yorkie - I like the fact that he tries to a create a game plan of each game rather that a fixed system ( although some selection are very strange - if we stay up he should be manager of the season given the cicumstances he is operating in)

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Must admit, the first time I heard the starting line up I thought "what the f**ck". But all credit to him, he got it spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here