Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done and good on you Westminster council.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
With so many homeless being our ex servicemen, I look forward with anticipation to the report of one of them braining a westminster councillor.

I heard a statistic a few years ago that roughly a third of homeless living on the streets were ex-services, a third had psychiatric issues and most of the remainder were there because of a wide range of other reasons, very few were homeless through choice. The thing that shocks me is when statistics are banded about relating to the numbers of homeless in large cities, with somewhere like Manchester having nine (this is a fabricated number but given to illustrate that they are often very small considering the size of the town or city for which the quote is made), the queues outside the night shelter in the town where I live suggest that the problem is far larger than those in authority are prepared to admit.

This might sound a little random, but possibly worth a mention. A couple of years ago I read a very good book by George Orwell, called down and out in Paris and London. The London part was about the life of a tramp in London maybe a century back, quite a compelling read about how life was at that end of the social scale.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Three or four yesterday but let's not get into an arguement about it. Back to the thread subject matter.

Really ? Never seen you start a football related thread but plenty of threads on this type. Do you really believe in what you post or is it just fishing ?

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
I have had to argue the toss with recruitment and selection panels to get ex-forces into position, so many of my colleagues are intimidated by their professionalism and confidence at interviews. One employer I spoke to in the building industry advised me he didn't want ex forces as his reps, because they gave the wrong impression to clients. Very sad.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have had to argue the toss with recruitment and selection panels to get ex-forces into position, so many of my colleagues are intimidated by their professionalism and confidence at interviews. One employer I spoke to in the building industry advised me he didn't want ex forces as his reps, because they gave the wrong impression to clients. Very sad.

That is a fact that the recruiting posters don't mention. People give the best years of their lives (and sadly their actual lives) only to be put out on the street with little or no retraining. The forces work in a very different way to most of civvy street so it's not too hard to see why these sad situations occur.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
A couple of years ago I read a very good book by George Orwell, called down and out in Paris and London. The London part was about the life of a tramp in London maybe a century back, quite a compelling read about how life was at that end of the social scale.

Excellent book, quite an eye opener.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I wonder if Westminster will take up the "Liverpool option" where they give the homeless a single fare train ticket to Southend or Margate ? Jobcentres in Merseyside encouraged the long term unemployed to move down to the south coast with a free train ticket in the 1980's.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
I work in Westminster and a lot of homeless people eat the leftovers from places such as EAT, or Pret, so will these companies be prosecuted under this law for disposing of their unwanted wares at the end of the day?

Where I work the homeless actually have a pecking order over who can take what bag. No one messes with the bloke with the duvet!

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
Making it a criminal offence to help the Homeless. Anyone caught will be subject to a fine of £500 I think. It was being discussed on LBC last night.

Since it is my job helping young homeless people, are you suggesting im a criminal. Or do I only become a criminal when I go through Westminster.

Or is the truth somewhat nearer to that fact that both you and westminster councillors are brainless retards who dream up and promote ideas that achieve nothing but make you look stupid.

So I suppose the next step is to euthanise the disabled as they make the place look untidy. I was working at Westminster Council just before Christmas, I can tell you the staff there do have a very nice staff restaurant.

Round `em up, put `em in field, and bomb the B.......!! I`m all for sweeping the homeless buggers under the carpet as any right-minded Englishman would be,but as for what you`re suggesting `euthanise the disabled` shame on you old man!!:wrong:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

I have heard of this happening, but also the contrary, where an employer was keen to employ ex-forces because he knew exactly what type of employee they would be...hard working, loyal, well presented, confident but not cocky, tell them to be somewhere at a certain time and they were there five minutes early...if I were an employer that is precisely the type of person I would hire, without question.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I really don't want to come across as being insensitive towards anyone who is homeless, in fact over the years I have probably done more than my fair share in helping unfortunate people, years ago when i lived in Brighton, i was only about 22, I actually took a homeless tramp back to my flat in Brunswick Road and got my then wife to cook him a meal and let him have a bath and gave him some clothes...anyway I digress.......it is my understanding that no one needs to be homeless if they don't want to be, which prompted me to have a quick browse a minute ago and i found this..... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Councilandhousingassociationhomes/Findingsomewhere/DG_4001401

I have not read it right through in great detail, and I am sure nothing is a simple as it it appears, but surely having a roof over your head is better than living rough? albeit is a halfway house situation, I am sure some prefer living on the streets for whatever reasons..............

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I really don't want to come across as being insensitive towards anyone who is homeless, in fact over the years I have probably done more than my fair share in helping unfortunate people, years ago when i lived in Brighton, i was only about 22, I actually took a homeless tramp back to my flat in Brunswick Road and got my then wife to cook him a meal and let him have a bath and gave him some clothes...anyway I digress.......it is my understanding that no one needs to be homeless if they don't want to be, which prompted me to have a quick browse a minute ago and i found this..... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Councilandhousingassociationhomes/Findingsomewhere/DG_4001401

I have not read it right through in great detail, and I am sure nothing is a simple as it it appears, but surely having a roof over your head is better than living rough? albeit is a halfway house situation, I am sure some prefer living on the streets for whatever reasons..............

Sorry Tony but you're wrong, there are nowhere near enough shelters to accommodate the homeless for a start. Most shelters once they are filled they stay that way because most people choose to stay there. What you have there is a bit of government spin drafted by yet another clueless civil servant who has a nice pension to live on for.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Sorry Tony but you're wrong, there are nowhere near enough shelters to accommodate the homeless for a start. Most shelters once they are filled they stay that way because most people choose to stay there. What you have there is a bit of government spin drafted by yet another clueless civil servant who has a nice pension to live on for.

I was not so much on about shelters, as i know it, if you go to the local council, they have an obligation to house you, as i said albeit it is temporary accomadation, some even use B&Bs for temporary urgent cases if they have nowhere else to accomadate the person/s, I do not profess to be well educated on this issue, but i am positive it is some sort of law saying the councils have to provide some sort of roof over your head.........i understand where you are coming from with regards to cival servants etc, i have had my fair share of them during my unemployment era recently!!!!!! cluless is polite in my opinion.

An ex-flat mate of mine lives in Westminster and she gives food and blankets to the homeless. She used to work for a Womens Shelter, so it is an issue close to her heart.

I'm not sure how they think this legislation is going to help or are they hoping that the homeless will move onto another borough?

It will help by starting a backlash upsurge of food and blanket giving to the homeless.

Often, it's the anti that makes the bigger stand for pro - usually unintentionally

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I was not so much on about shelters, as i know it, if you go to the local council, they have an obligation to house you, as i said albeit it is temporary accomadation, some even use B&Bs for temporary urgent cases if they have nowhere else to accomadate the person/s, I do not profess to be well educated on this issue, but i am positive it is some sort of law saying the councils have to provide some sort of roof over your head.........i understand where you are coming from with regards to cival servants etc, i have had my fair share of them during my unemployment era recently!!!!!! cluless is polite in my opinion.

I can tell you from personal experience that whilst councils have a 'duty of care' they regularly shirk it. Decisions are made about medical conditions by unqualified staff who ignore doctor's advice and don't even contact them. That's just one example. To be honest (and yes I know this is xenophobic) refugees get more priority (a direct quote from somebody who works for my local council). As far as any government report is concerned as Mark Twain said, 'There are lies, damned lies and statistics'.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
I can tell you from personal experience that whilst councils have a 'duty of care' they regularly shirk it. Decisions are made about medical conditions by unqualified staff who ignore doctor's advice and don't even contact them. That's just one example. To be honest (and yes I know this is xenophobic) refugees get more priority (a direct quote from somebody who works for my local council). As far as any government report is concerned as Mark Twain said, 'There are lies, damned lies and statistics'.

I bow down to your better knowledge, I have had little experience with matters like this, and I can't argue in defence of the government officials, as my dealings with them regarding my recent unemployment situation were nothing less than disgusting, the one thing I have learnt is, when a Government minister goes on TV and states we have such and such in place for whatever, it is an absolute load of bollocks!!! the criteria is impossible to meet, they put brickwalls up for everything.....

Recently I went to Wakefield for an interview, I asked for assistance with the travelling and was told because i had put my request in 24 hours to late i was not eligble, i asked where this was written down, I was informed it was not written down it was a requisite by the Secretary of State, I said where can i see this, she said, you cant its on our information, I said how was i supposed to know about time limits, she told me to appeal on their decision if i was not happy, total crap!!! (I have not gone into major detail as i cant be arsed, all i can say is i did meet all the requirements to be granted some assistance, had i applied in time, now i am working i really cant be bothered to appeal, it cost me £77 in fuel not that i expected that back, but £20 would have helped!!)

I bow down to your better knowledge, I have had little experience with matters like this, and I can't argue in defence of the government officials, as my dealings with them regarding my recent unemployment situation were nothing less than disgusting, the one thing I have learnt is, when a Government minister goes on TV and states we have such and such in place for whatever, it is an absolute load of bollocks!!! the criteria is impossible to meet, they put brickwalls up for everything.....

Recently I went to Wakefield for an interview, I asked for assistance with the travelling and was told because i had put my request in 24 hours to late i was not eligble, i asked where this was written down, I was informed it was not written down it was a requisite by the Secretary of State, I said where can i see this, she said, you cant its on our information, I said how was i supposed to know about time limits, she told me to appeal on their decision if i was not happy, total crap!!! (I have not gone into major detail as i cant be arsed, all i can say is i did meet all the requirements to be granted some assistance, had i applied in time, now i am working i really cant be bothered to appeal, it cost me £77 in fuel not that i expected that back, but £20 would have helped!!)

Can you trump up another supposed interview date and a new claim (in good time), see if they don't cross check, and pay you out?
That would be funny.
Stranger things have happened in bureaucracy than clerical oversights

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Tony, you are preaching to the choir. I am now in the habit of only communicating in writing with any government official, I have found that all too often they give you the wrong information, send you on a time wasting and costly wild goose chase and then they will deny what they said, much harder to do when it's in print. You travel expenses are a case in point, I now find that when I meet that line (I seldom bother to even try for a local job) I say, 'Okay, well I can't afford to attend the interview but I can afford a stamp so I'll write to my MP explaining to im why it is I have had to turn down a job opportunity, after all, how I am supposed to pay a fare that is more than my weekly JSA ?' Tends to get them motivated.

To be honest I find most people with the Benefits Agencies to be helpful, you just need to be polite and friendly which quite a few people don't do. Granted I can understand how some people can loose their cool given the frustrations that ensure with dealing with mindless bureaucracy. However on occasion you do come up against people who feel that they're doing you a favour (which you can get anywhere in fairness) so you smile sweetly and ask them for their full name (they may refuse but legally they have to give it). That tends to get most of them off their high horses as they know you are going to go after them. The main requirement is patience allied to a strong sense of distrust. Frankly if we sacked twenty per cent of civil servants to motivate the remainder nobody would notice.,

Also, did you know you can get a small grant to help you get back to work ? There's always a shortfall when you come off benefits especially if you are paid monthly. This covers interim expenses such as fares. Of course very few people get told this but if you ask about it at your local Job Centre they have to act. The sad thing is that whilst I know how to deal with 'The System' many people don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here