Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Welbeck

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
GRAHAM POTTER went potty for Danny Welbeck after the Brighton striker dumped Manchester United despite suffering from a stomach bug.

The Brighton boss wasn't revealed Welbeck was never going to let illness get in his way.

Potter said: “He would have strapped the toilet on to his backside to play, it would have slowed him down though. He was amazing.”

:lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And crucially the hunger of someone 10 years younger.

The lack of games earlier in his career is benefitting us now. I think he’ll be able to play at the top level for years to come.

A huge advantage for him in playing for a TeamsLikeBrighton, he starts.

At Manure and Arsenal, DW often played third or fourth fiddle.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
A fully fit Danny Welbeck is far too good for a club at our current level in my view. When he's on fire there aren't many better to lead a front line.

Can many leap higher than him? Nope
Many Faster than him? Nope
Many stronger than him? Nope

There's a reason he has so many England caps and played for Utd and Arsenal before it all went a bit wrong injury-wise.

IF....and it's a huge if, he stays fit for the season we are absolutely laughing.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I disagree with the far too good comment actually. I think it’s a perfect match. He did feck all at Watford for example but we put him in a position to succeed and we probably suit each other as about the best either could realistically do whilst also elevating each other.

That said I’m speaking about us as a borderline top 10 team with potential to keep improving not as a team finishing 15-17

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I disagree with the far too good comment actually. I think it’s a perfect match. He did feck all at Watford for example but we put him in a position to succeed and we probably suit each other as about the best either could realistically do whilst also elevating each other.

It's a perfect match for the situation.

What I'm saying is, if Danny Welbeck was always fully fit, I personally think he'd be at a club higher up than us.

So when I watch a fully fit DW tearing apart a MU defence at Old Trafford I just smile and realise we have really benefited from the situation he has found himself in due to his injury record.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

That said I’m speaking about us as a borderline top 10 team with potential to keep improving not as a team finishing 15-17

Perhaps he is simply very happy with his lot in life at the moment, a team that looked after him, helped him overcome a long standing issue/injury that was probably ignored or not treated properly including recovery time, we played the long game, and I think he appreciates that. Where is the pressure here !

He must be enjoying himself so much, and it is visible on and off the pitch. We are a perfect fit for each other.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good to see him fit, happy and playing really well.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
That we have taken someone like DW who was probably at his lowest point after Watford, and get him back to where he is, along with the rest of the team performing better than their individual parts is what I love about our club. The vision of TB is outstanding, I just hope he has a plan for when clubs come knocking to poach GP, without a doubt he is one of the lowest paid when it comes to ability.Lets hope working for a quality outfit where team work is far more important than ego is enough compensation

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
like all the comments above , he looked great yesterday , his first touch is usually class , wonder how he'll get on with Undav ......i've got a stiffy again.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yup... like I said yesterday: there's nothing those two can do that Welbeck can't.

And indeed his target game has improved a lot (or maybe he was always good at it but just bought the perception of him as a pace merchant) since he joined the club and spent most of the games hiding between defenders, just waiting for a run. A lot more involved now. Not sure if that is mainly down to the coaching staff or the medical... well, engineering team.

He's always had target man ability but because he was so quick, a lot of mangers for Man Utd, Arsenal and England tended to play him as a wide attacker as he was very useful there hence the perception by a lot of people. As we did when we played that front 3 of him, Trossard and Maupay. I do believe that 'target men' get better as they get older as well as they build their upper body strength and their game know-how grows. Welbeck has always had good game intelligence too.

As well documented on here I've always been a massive Welbeck fan from well before he joined us. I genuinely believe that after Kane, he is the best striker England have produced in the last 10/15 years but the injuries held him back which also meant he has been massively under rated and appreciated as a player. I think if he'd also been able to play for Ferguson for a few more years, he would have stayed at United for a lot longer and been even more successful there. Ferguson loved him but him leaving when Welbeck was just 22 didn't help him.

I'm so happy he plays for us and it looks like he's loving it and fitter and better than ever.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
[tweet]1556988669470248961[/tweet]

And some people laughed when Welbz said he could "still breeze past players in this league".

We seem to have finally got that pacy, powerful striker that many fans have been demanding. Can he get us 15 goals though?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
And some people laughed when Welbz said he could "still breeze past players in this league".

We seem to have finally got that pacy, powerful striker that many fans have been demanding. Can he get us 15 goals though?

Doesn't matter. Even if he only gets 7 or 8, the fact he's up there doing what he does will mean we're getting more goals from elsewhere as we saw on Sunday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here