Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Welbeck or Carroll

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Assuming Rooney starts up front, either have done enough to earn a place IMO, but I would personally give it to Welbeck to start with, given the additional club-based teamwork between the two, then bring on the big man if we need him later.

This.

I think the fact Rooney and Wellbeck play together all the time gives Wellbeck the advantage, but as you say, have Carroll on the bench ready to get amongst it if we need to. Maybe even as someone else suggested, have all three of them on the pitch if we still need a goal with 10 mins left or so.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Welbeck, simply on the basis he's a better player. on performance, its tight, but then on that basis why is Rooney a shoe in anyway?

or something like this...

4-3-1-2
Milner, Gerrard, Parker
Rooney,
Wellbeck Carrol.

would work very well i think. im not sure Hodgeson is about to play 3 in midfield though.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Welbeck to get the nod
Have to play Looney Rooney every time as he is our only world class player (our only player capable of a Gascoigne moment) even though he will no doubt do something mental again in the future
I think he will be a good boy in this tournament though

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Welbeck, simply on the basis he's a better player. on performance, its tight, but then on that basis why is Rooney a shoe in anyway?

or something like this...

4-3-1-2
Milner, Gerrard, Parker
Rooney,
Wellbeck Carrol.

would work very well i think. im not sure Hodgeson is about to play 3 in midfield though.

I'm not sure there's enough width - less chance of getting the crosses in for the big man, so reducing the impact of his major strength. I'd also have no place in the team for Milner.

In response to the original question, I think Welbeck should get the nod - better player as a whole and also has the benefit of the understanding with Rooney. Carroll's done well though and deserves an appearance at some stage

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not sure there's enough width - less chance of getting the crosses in for the big man, so reducing the impact of his major strength. I'd also have no place in the team for Milner.

dont know why people have it in for Milner, he's a solid if uncreative player working the wing as asked. playing him more centre would suit him. alongside Parker, think it would give Gerrard plenty of licence to get forward in support of attacks. Johnson and Cole would provide decent width, though yes, with out out and out wingers, does make having Carroll less usful. main thing is the formation, instead of Milner, could have Oxlade (bit of waste but upto it), Henderson or Jones.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade

In response to the original question, I think Welbeck should get the nod - better player as a whole and also has the benefit of the understanding with Rooney. Carroll's done well though and deserves an appearance at some stage

Those midfielder can drop if needed when either Ashley Cole or Glenn Johnson goes forward.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Definitely Welbeck, he and Rooney were linking up brilliantly together during last season.

Welbeck is class, he is going to become a massive player for club and country, ridiculous talent and massively confident considering he is still so young.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
4-3-1-2
Milner, Gerrard, Parker
Rooney,
Wellbeck Carrol.

Too narrow and no pace wide. Rooney for Carroll.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'd always keep Walcott for bringing on late one, Young has been shite but we need to keep Walcott in reserve its what he does best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here