Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Welbeck or Carroll

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Who would you start alongside Shrek tomorrow night?

It has to be Welbeck doesn't it? I thought Carroll had a poor second half on Friday, although you could argue he did his job by getting on the scoresheet with that top drawer header in the first half.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Any chance of Rooney playing behind Carroll and Wellbeck?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Andy+Carroll+scores

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Carroll works harder with defensive duties, I know he gives away free kicks but has both height & strength

We need him staying in the opposition's half.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Carroll for me. I'm a great believer in doing want the opposition wants you to do least, and I would imagine most defenders would rather face Welbeck.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Who would you start alongside Shrek tomorrow night?

It has to be Welbeck doesn't it? I thought Carroll had a poor second half on Friday, although you could argue he did his job by getting on the scoresheet with that top drawer header in the first half.

Here's a good article on what Carroll now brings to the team.
Euro 2012: Andy Carroll hits heights as an upwardly mobile striker for England, says Jamie Carragher - Telegraph

I'd start with Carroll and Rooney, rest Wellbeck.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
A really tough decision for Roy, I'd be tempted to stick Rooney in midfield with an attacking role and play Welbeck and Carroll up front TBH. Lets go all out against the Ukraine.

Otherwise it would have to be Welbeck, offers a lot of the qualities of Carroll but he's a lot more agile.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
It's a real hard choice. Both deserve to start, Carroll's header was an absolute beauty and he played a solid game. Welbeck has played well in both games so far, but I think it will be Welbeck, just because of the link up play of Young, Rooney and Welbeck.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Welbeck - him, Rooney and Young have a fantastic understanding between them. Bring Carroll on for Welbeck or Young if it's not working for some reason.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck know how each other link up with both at Manchester United and also Ashley Young. Easy decision for Roy Hodgson and I'd feel more optimistic of us getting through to the knockout stages tomorrow.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A really tough decision for Roy, I'd be tempted to stick Rooney in midfield with an attacking role and play Welbeck and Carroll up front TBH. Lets go all out against the Ukraine.

Otherwise it would have to be Welbeck, offers a lot of the qualities of Carroll but he's a lot more agile.

who would you drop then, Parker or Gerrard?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Playing Rooney in Gerrard's position would be an option is Gerrard wasn't captain. He's KNACKERED.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Talking of Gerrard, [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION], when will he learn that England lose all their shape as soon as he decides he's going to trot back, pick the ball up off one of our centre-half's feet, and try and PING it 50 yards?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's REALLY difficult.

I think I would go for Welbeck and Rooney. They know each other inside out from United and some of their link up play this year was brilliant.

The Ukranians won't like two nippy players buzzing around and popping off 1-2's around their penalty area.

If that doesn't work (which i'm certain it will anyway), bring on AC. for that added dimension.

The Ukranians HAVE to attack. There will be gaps. Welback will exploit that

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
who would you drop then, Parker or Gerrard?

Gerrard, for sure. It would be a bit of a worry Rooney loses his place far up the pitch but its not as if Gerrard doesn't do that enough himself (but in the opposite direction).

Make Rooney Vice Captain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here