Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weekly bin collections - do you give a 4x?

Weekly bin collections - issue or non issue??

• Total voters

Daily Mail seem to have almost as much of a thing about this as Asylum seekers/Lady Di/BBC/unemployed etc.

Whilst I acknowledge that there may be issues for some are they making a fuss about nothing and would the ConDems be better off sorting out more pressing matters?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it is an issue, but a local one that shouldnt be wasting the time of politicans at a national level. though if they made promises, more fool them. it seems councils are generally using two weekly collections to alternate landfill and recylced rubbish. maybe those against would like to pay more for 2 weekly collections instead? on the other hand, i dont fancy the outcome after 2 weeks in a proper long, hot, dry, summer, which we havent seen for a few years.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Daily Mail seem to have almost as much of a thing about this as Asylum seekers/Lady Di/BBC/unemployed etc.

Whilst I acknowledge that there may be issues for some are they making a fuss about nothing and would the ConDems be better off sorting out more pressing matters?

If you live in a flat with no outside storage area, anything less than weekly bin collections is bloody unhygenic. I used to have a flat in Buckingham Road, a conservation area, you couldn't put rubbish out until the day of collection. In the summer the bags could absolutely stink by the end of the week. I dread to think what they'd be like after two weeks.

Anyway, I live in a poorer country now, with a much lower tax rate, that manages to collect the rubbish three times a week, even on a bank holiday.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
If you live in a flat with no outside storage area, anything less than weekly bin collections is bloody unhygenic. I used to have a flat in Buckingham Road, a conservation area, you couldn't put rubbish out until the day of collection. In the summer the bags could absolutely stink by the end of the week. I dread to think what they'd be like after two weeks.

Anyway, I live in a poorer country now, with a much lower tax rate, that manages to collect the rubbish three times a week, even on a bank holiday.

Yep. When I was in Greece, it was a DAILY collection.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Those places have large communal bins these days.

Brighton-web-main.gif

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Only in Britain could they halve refuse collections and, despite the risk it posed to public health, try and say it was 'good'. I know councils are looking to save money but I wish they wouldn't give the bollocks about 'it encourages recycling'. I live in an area with a Green MP and Green councillors, and those of us who don't vote Green have a degree of environmental consciousness. Consequently I think it's fair to say that most people round my way already recycle pretty much all we can without being 'encouraged' to by cancelling weekly rubbish collections. Even so if there is a delay (such as with the snow) and the binmen don't come round, then our street looks like something from some 3rd world slum.

If they cancelled the weekly collection (which in fairness I don't think has even been mentioned), I would fly-tip my rubbish in protest.

EDIT: Can't vote in the poll as my life is not yet a 'living hell', but I would be extremely pissed off if fortnightly collections were introduced in Brighton.

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I used to feel quite strongly in principle that everyone ought to have weekly rubbish collections (not necessarily with recyclables , though), until I realised that I forget to put mine out about every other week anyway. So, I think there are more pressing things to worry about - at least, for me, in my situation. If you have nowhere to store it safely, e.g. flats, it may be a different matter though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd live with every other week for the main rubbish if they increased the recycling collections to every week and added in a green waste collection.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'd live with every other week for the main rubbish if they increased the recycling collections to every week and added in a green waste collection.

In Manchester we have a rubbish collection every two weeks, garden waste two weeks in three in summer and once every two in winter, cans and bottles once a fortnight, and paper once a fortnight. I have a total of four different wheelie bins and it works fine.

It takes a modicum of effort, but surely it's worth it if we can increase the amount of waste that is recycled?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We have rubbish weekly and re-cycling every two weeks, works fine.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Surely, recyclables are "cleaner" than normal waste ... I'm thinking that cans, bottles etc. are usually washed before going in the recycle bin, so there's less urgency to collect.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Living here, in a Brighton hi-rise (120 two bedroom flats) we have two collections a week. If not then the refuse collectors wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the communal bin room!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Perth(Aus) has 1 every week with the 2nd week being recycle and normal rubbish but we all have wheely bins.

Same as Shoreham, normal rubbish weekly, recycling fornightly (always falling on the same day as normal collection). Not sure about garden waste, I think that goes with the recycling, but you pay extra for that.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Surely, recyclables are "cleaner" than normal waste ... I'm thinking that cans, bottles etc. are usually washed before going in the recycle bin, so there's less urgency to collect.

My bin is only ever half full when it's collected yet my recycling overfloweth - I was thinking of it less from a hygiene perspective and more a convenience one which might encourage more recycling.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it is an issue, but a local one that shouldnt be wasting the time of politicans at a national level.

If you live in a flat with no outside storage area, anything less than weekly bin collections is bloody unhygenic.
Those.

For us, given the small size of our bins, we really need a weekly collection.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You don't have to live in a conservation area not to be allowed to put your rubbish out early.

Do they get everything else in Cyprus that we get as tax payers then. Free NHS and the like?

Only in Britain could they halve refuse collections and, despite the risk it posed to public health, try and say it was 'good'. I know councils are looking to save money but I wish they wouldn't give the bollocks about 'it encourages recycling'. I live in an area with a Green MP and Green councillors, and those of us who don't vote Green have a degree of environmental consciousness. Consequently I think it's fair to say that most people round my way already recycle pretty much all we can without being 'encouraged' to by cancelling weekly rubbish collections. Even so if there is a delay (such as with the snow) and the binmen don't come round, then our street looks like something from some 3rd world slum.

If they cancelled the weekly collection (which in fairness I don't think has even been mentioned), I would fly-tip my rubbish in protest.

EDIT: Can't vote in the poll as my life is not yet a 'living hell', but I would be extremely pissed off if fortnightly collections were introduced in Brighton.

So, you don't want your place to look like a third world slum but wouldn't have any qualms about inflicting the same on everyone else. If you can make the effort to fly tip then why note just take it to the local dump?

In Burgess Hill there is the alternate landfill/recyling collection with green waste on Thursday which I believe costs a few extra pence a week. We are a family of 3 and generally fill the landfill bin in each two week period but recycling is only normally two thirds full. The statistics seem to suggest that with this system, councils have found recycling has increased 240%. So, I don't have a problem with it but I can understand that large communal refuse areas, such as blocks of flats need more collections.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here