Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weekend away

I need some advice... want to take the missus away for a long weekend tomorrow for a bit of culture and xmas shopping. Anyone got any good suggestions? So far I have a rather short list...

Brighton
Bath

She is in the festive spirit (the tree went up yesterday, FFS) so a place with a christmas market would be a good move. Looking for a city or large town I'd imagine, we're not in for big nights out just some availability of nice food and a decent pub to drink it.

All suggestions welcome.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
We always have a weekend in Birmingham before Christmas. Stay at the City Inn which is walking distance from the Symphony Hall and main shops, including a rather splendid Selfridges. There is open air ice skating, a small version of the London Eye and a genuine Frankfurt Christmas Market. The centre of Birmingham is spotless, has fantastic restaurants and bars and is in total contrast to the suburbs.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How about a nice cheap flight north of the border?

Aberdeen has good shops, plenty of decent places to eat, and has some jolly festive snow at the moment. Plenty of old buildings in The Granite City, there's the uni, and you could do The Whisky Trail or The Castle Trail and there's stone circles and fishing ports and stuff an easy drive away.

We always have a weekend in Birmingham before Christmas. Stay at the City Inn which is walking distance from the Symphony Hall and main shops, including a rather splendid Selfridges. There is open air ice skating, a small version of the London Eye and a genuine German Christmas Market. The centre of Birmingham is spotless, has fantastic restaurants and bars and is in total contrast to the suburbs.

Good shout but both our families are from around that area, so would be a bit 'close to home' I think. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Christmas Market in Nurnburg.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We always have a weekend in Birmingham before Christmas. Stay at the City Inn which is walking distance from the Symphony Hall and main shops, including a rather splendid Selfridges. There is open air ice skating, a small version of the London Eye and a genuine Frankfurt Christmas Market. The centre of Birmingham is spotless, has fantastic restaurants and bars and is in total contrast to the suburbs.

Went through Birmingham last night (working in Lichfield at the moment) to see Coldplay at the NIA.

Completely agree with all you say - I was really, really surprised at how pleasant I found Birmingham City centre and the Frankfurt market was massive, with a great bustling atmosphere and many folk wandering around beer stein (sp?) in hand.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
manchester has the biggest xmas market in the uk, nestled in the grounds of our fabulous town hall. the buzz is awesome.

shopping: best outside london
restaurants: immense
bars: liver-busting

i think you can get a train from cambridge direct to manc in about 2.5 hours.

NB: we also have an ice rink, and live reindeers wander the streets of the northern quarter.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Alternatively, me and the missus are thinking of getting away for a long weekend in January, any recommendations?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Cambridge

Huge amount of culture
GREAT Xmas Market
Brilliant shopping
Very nice hotels at a reasonable price (PM me for recommendations)
Easy to get to from Brighton (walk from St.Pancras to Kings X for a 45 min non-stop train to Cambridge)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Manchester - let her go shopping on Saturday and you can get to the game at Oldham.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You'd be lucky to find a hotel in Bath for this weekend. We've been looking and the whole place seems to be RAMMED.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
How about Lapland new forest. Quite an experiance I have heard!

This is on at the Marina in Brighton

Christmas Starts Here

12pm-6pm
Every Friday, Saturday & Sunday
From 28th November – 21st December 2008

Santa’s back with his famous FREE Grotto

Santa’s annual visit to the Marina has become a great hit with kids and parents alike: he doesn’t cost a penny and everyone leaves with a gift. And once you’ve seen Santa there is loads more to do. Why not take part in this year’s “Follow The Yellow Brick Road” treasure hunt, giving you the chance to win one of 15 pairs of tickets to see this year’s spellbinding family musical “The Wizard of Oz” at Theatre Royal Brighton. Simply collect an entry form from any retail store at the marina (Mermaid Walk & Marina Square), locate the clues and drop your answers into Santa’s special post box inside Bowlplex.

THE Big Christmas Market

Then why not treat yourself to a visit to the marina’s big Christmas market? This year the Marina is presenting one of the biggest around which includes over 40 themed stalls and activity centres for the whole family. There really is everything you need for Christmas; from Christmas trees and handmade decorations, to furniture, leather goods, local produce, fair-trade jewellery, baby goods and cloths and complimentary therapy. Also, Beachdown Festival will be out in force in the Beachdown Bazaar. Laying on musical treats from some of the artists that helped make Beachdown such a resounding success (Early Bird tickets for next year’s festival will be on sale at bargain prices).

On top of this you can get hand and feet castings of the kids or have their portrait taken and ready that day. Or why not take a boat ride and Sail with the Snowman? A trip through the inner harbour with the snowman - the kids will love it.

The famous Marina lights will be illuminated on Friday 28th November…and this year it doesn’t disappoint as alongside our magical snowmen along Palm Drive this year’s centre piece is a giant 18ft Christmas pudding…You will be dazzled by the sparkle and flare. Brighton Marina’s Christmas lights are regarded as some of the best in the city and all with the environment in mind by using low voltage LED lights.

Come along and see us, you won’t be disappointed.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I think its the last weekend of the xmas market in Bath, plus Bath are playing at home on sunday, so it'll be heaving.
Trying to get a B&B in Bath at anytime is tricky, but this late, before xmas will be next to impossible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here