Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weekend away between December 29ish - 4th jan Ideas?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Thanks for the advice

had a look at prague, 300e each for 4* 3 nights and a coach from north france border and back

might have a look at brugges, thats only a 2 hr drive away ;)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Hotel Heritage is a bit pricey - Hotel Bruges - Hotel Heritage Central Bruges - but is really nice, and one of the best located in the city, about 30 metres from the main square.

Having said that, the pubs are better in Gent, and there are fewer tourists...

I have stayed at the Hotel Albert by the bus station on the edge of the Old Town... spent a long time in Bjre Birlte that grubby little boozer whaich stocks 300 odd beers and is a fantastic night out.... Shared a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve 75cl (Champagne Closure ) with a mate and it was divine....that, amongs many others :thumbsup:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
The Hotel Heritage is a bit pricey - Hotel Bruges - Hotel Heritage Central Bruges - but is really nice, and one of the best located in the city, about 30 metres from the main square.

Having said that, the pubs are better in Gent, and there are fewer tourists...

Cheers for that, will have a look!

Just booked Hotel Jacobs for a long weekend in November - 3 nights B&B for 2 + Eurotunnel for £320

Beerhouse "'t Brugs Beertje" here I come

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003

The "Garre" is worth checking out too... :thumbsup:

Edit: There's also a fairly new bar in town called (I think) the Gambrinus. Doesn't have the same olde worlde charm of the other pubs, but it does have a beer list stretching to about 400.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cheers for that, will have a look!

Just booked Hotel Jacobs for a long weekend in November - 3 nights B&B for 2 + Eurotunnel for £320

ah ha! thats the place, its a bit grubby and the couple who run it look similar to Tubbs and Edward in The Local Store in Royston Vasey, but, the beer can't be faulted and you MUST drink with the plates of diced cheese and Dijon Mustard....... oh how I envy you... I might have to ice up a couple of my dwindling stock of Westmalle Tripels for old times sake....:p

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The "Garre" is worth checking out too... :thumbsup:

Edit: There's also a fairly new bar in town called (I think) the Gambrinus. Doesn't have the same olde worlde charm of the other pubs, but it does have a beer list stretching to about 400.

I think you mean Cambinus.. its slightly NNE off the main square, its a bit like our modern type Harvester type pubs but obviously the beer range is considerably better. I went for and did a Kwac in there.. amongst others....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
I think you mean Cambinus.. its slightly NNE off the main square, its a bit like our modern type Harvester type pubs but obviously the beer range is considerably better. I went for and did a Kwac in there.. amongst others....

That sounds like the place. I always use the appearance of Abbaye des Rocs on a beer menu as a judge of whether it is quality or not (and is what I had in there last time) - a lovely brew but a fairly irregular find even in Belgium.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
This bar in Ghent is the best bar I've EVER been in. Bar none.

2340867585_cf3a91e395.jpg

It serves NOTHING but different types of genever, most of which they make themselves. The barman/owner lets you try a sip of them first but insists that you slurp the first sip with the glass on the bar not using your hands, so you don't spill it. Then he sparks up a massive Cohiba cigar, sits on his little bar stool and falls asleep. Although he wakes up to serve a couple of what one used to call DWARVES their CACTUS genevers - plus he let them off the bar rule and let them pick them up as they couldn't have reached them with their little mouths anyway.

As I say, best bar ever.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Saltzburgh is very nice at that time of year.....A choir I sing in is doing a few nights of Mozart stuff at the Cathederal over there and I am debating wether to go

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
(Forgive my "doing a Gavin", i.e. posting a number of times on the same topic in the same thread before any response. But this bar is worth it.)

"Watch out for Pol, the owner. He looks a bit untidy at first, but once he starts joking, he is rather nice really. If he's sleeping in his armchair, wake him up carefully, you never know... "

http://www.waterhuisaandebierkant.be/e7.htm

I know its almost a bit run of the mill now to go here, though I took my ex to prague for new year. It was so good, more fireworks than I've ever seen from the castle at midnight overlooking the city, cheeap booze, xmas market in the old town with mulled wine, theres some not bad clubs there as well and loads of galleries and stuff. It might have helped that everything was under snow so it looked amazing, very romantic

shame she was a twat though I should have just f***ed off to one of the strip bars

went to Praque many moons ago just after independence, New Year Eve was a wild night, at that time, few places were open, but the atmosphere, the fireworks, the relentless cold but warm spirits. a great time.

agree with Bruges great xmas and autumn, I tell you what Bruxelles lhas ooked Brialliant the times I have visited it in December, the old Golden Square, must be one of Europe's great squares, throw in the festivities, the Belgium beer and a great break.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
But the Hopduvel (Kaffee De Hopduvel in Gent) is not just the best pub in Gent, it's the best pub in Benelux. It's out in a suburb away from the centre, but worth the 20-minute walk (or short taxi ride). Worth queueing at the bar though, as people expecting efficient table service have been known to die of thirst...

Oh no....

I have just received the distressing news (directly from Tim Webb, the author of CAMRA's Belgium good beer guide, so I'm guessing there is some truth in it) that this place closed down just last week... :cry::cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here