Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wednesday Defence

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Bar the spell at the start at Hillsborough before we hit the post, they looked nothing special to me in either match. In the circumstances, a really good side would have won the first leg 4 or 5-nil. Sure, they had plenty of possession and knocked the ball about a bit, but who wouldn't against 10 men, some unproven and some out of position? Decent on the counter-attack but otherwise they were played off the park last night, when only our lack of a striker who can really impose himself on the game cost us.

I felt it was a shame we couldn't manage to put more pressure on by continuing to run at them through the centre in the second half. With both centre-backs on yellows, that seemed an obvious area to target and potentially swing the game. Perhaps they shielded them well, and then our need to get the ball forward quickly plus tiredness gradually made us less effective.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Second half they defended well as a team... they pressed much harder and higher up the pitch which made us have to go longer more often.. My only slight frustration with last night was that I felt Dunk was sent up top too early, and we lost our shape and pattern of play with still 15 mins + stoppage time to go. That said, we weren't really creating clear chances, so I understand why.. I like the fact that CH was decisive.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Second half they defended well as a team... they pressed much harder and higher up the pitch which made us have to go longer more often.. My only slight frustration with last night was that I felt Dunk was sent up top too early, and we lost our shape and pattern of play with still 15 mins + stoppage time to go. That said, we weren't really creating clear chances, so I understand why.. I like the fact that CH was decisive.

They did, but we stopped working the ball wide and went too route one, once Dunk was up front.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Did he? I thought we hit the woodwork, top of the net and he had a couple of routine saves to make, nothing in the class of Stockdale's 'Worldy' in the second half when it came off his wrist.

Absolutely ironic that at the moment when were absolutely on top and the chant of 'You're shitting yourselves' went up they went up the other end and put the ball in the net to completely take the wind out of our sails.

couldn't agree more ....dunk shoved off the ball , in the back , in the air ....not blown up ....fuct again....do we have to wait our turn or do we have to deal with the fact we don't have a quality goal scorer......or do we have to deal with the fact that it's not our turn yet.....i honestly dont know....but i hope weds do hull and i think they will.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Bar the spell at the start at Hillsborough before we hit the post, they looked nothing special to me in either match. In the circumstances, a really good side would have won the first leg 4 or 5-nil. Sure, they had plenty of possession and knocked the ball about a bit, but who wouldn't against 10 men, some unproven and some out of position? Decent on the counter-attack but otherwise they were played off the park last night, when only our lack of a striker who can really impose himself on the game cost us.

I felt it was a shame we couldn't manage to put more pressure on by continuing to run at them through the centre in the second half. With both centre-backs on yellows, that seemed an obvious area to target and potentially swing the game. Perhaps they shielded them well, and then our need to get the ball forward quickly plus tiredness gradually made us less effective.

exactly this ...we need a charlie austin , andre gray , andy carroll type goal scorer and we'll go up......standard , english , poacher / scorer who can hit the net ......that is what's been lacking all season , no disrespect to hemed or baldock but they just aren't that type....

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
We were good for the first 30mins tonight. Should/could have had 3/4 goals. Maybe a Haned or Zamora figure would have put one or two chances away. They were there for the taking in this period but we couldn't take the chances. Done by our own poor finishing (Knockhart header, Wilson toe poke), others by luck (Knockhart free kick), others by literally last last ditch defending and getting the luck with the bobbles ect around the box, at times it was like bloody pin ball in there. Ultimately we were done by a sucker punch, which should of been a foul but Lady Luck seems to of gone missing in recent weeks when we needed it.
I think Wednesday know they got away with it a bit last night but it happens in football and you have to take chances when your dominating the game. Our only downfall really of an incredible night.
Will add fans, players, manager and everyone associated to the club should be proud this morning. Great atmosphere, performance but ultimately no luck. It was great to see most stay behind and applaud everyone off the pitch it was the least they deserved.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
We were good for the first 30mins tonight. Should/could have had 3/4 goals. Maybe a Haned or Zamora figure would have put one or two chances away. They were there for the taking in this period but we couldn't take the chances. Done by our own poor finishing (Knockhart header, Wilson toe poke), others by luck (Knockhart free kick), others by literally last last ditch defending and getting the luck with the bobbles ect around the box, at times it was like bloody pin ball in there. Ultimately we were done by a sucker punch, which should of been a foul but Lady Luck seems to of gone missing in recent weeks when we needed it.
I think Wednesday know they got away with it a bit last night but it happens in football and you have to take chances when your dominating the game. Our only downfall really of an incredible night.
Will add fans, players, manager and everyone associated to the club should be proud this morning. Great atmosphere, performance but ultimately no luck. It was great to see most stay behind and applaud everyone off the pitch it was the least they deserved.

i was proud to be an Albion fan today .....you are right , we have had shit luck for the last 4 games but apparently these things equal out over the season...???.....i think i would feel dirty supporting man u , arse , chelsea , liverpool or spurs tbh............up the Albion , thanks for another rollercoaster ....hope to see all the squad back in july with 2 or 3 additions ....with CH in charge.....and i would like to say a massive thank you to Tony Bloom.......the guy is a ****ing legend...where would we be without him......UTFA....:thumbsup:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
i was proud to be an Albion fan today .....you are right , we have had shit luck for the last 4 games but apparently these things equal out over the season...???.....i think i would feel dirty supporting man u , arse , chelsea , liverpool or spurs tbh............up the Albion , thanks for another rollercoaster ....hope to see all the squad back in july with 2 or 3 additions ....with CH in charge.....and i would like to say a massive thank you to Tony Bloom.......the guy is a ****ing legend...where would we be without him......UTFA....:thumbsup:

Lol so they say but i'm not convinced. Some years you have it I think and others you don't and this year it seems to have deserted us at key times of the season. The only luck we did have vanished in the space of 2 minutes against Burnley anyway and we seem to have been kicked in the teeth ever since. But a great season none the less. A bit of squad tweaking and we will be back stronger than this year. We seem to have a great balance currently. A manager the chairman appreciates and trusts to spend wisely, players who are have really stepped up and played for CH, a sensible level headed and respected manager and as you save the best chairman around. Can't wait for August to start

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here