Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Website goes live

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Instant comment here - drop the <banner> tag. Its despised among web browser developers :)wave: to anyone else involved in Firefox) and makes the site unusable in speciality browsers, e.g. Lynx which is used by blind people.

Other than that it looks OK. You might want better page names.

</annoying web designer mode>

Sorry about that rant. I got paid to do web pages back in the mists of time and now work on web browser development stuff...

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
MYOB said:
Instant comment here - drop the <banner> tag. Its despised among web browser developers :)wave: to anyone else involved in Firefox) and makes the site unusable in speciality browsers, e.g. Lynx which is used by blind people.

Other than that it looks OK. You might want better page names.

</annoying web designer mode>

Sorry about that rant. I got paid to do web pages back in the mists of time and now work on web browser development stuff...

waht do you mean by Banner Tag?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So OTLW - is this your new company ?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The scrolling text. Uses the <banner> HTML extension that Netscape developed in Netscape 2.0. Its not universally supported and is as hated as <blink>

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
MYOB said:
The scrolling text. Uses the <banner> HTML extension that Netscape developed in Netscape 2.0. Its not universally supported and is as hated as <blink>

Thanks ... I'll deal with it ... seriously thanks MYOB!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
On the Left Wing said:
yep ... official launch in January but testing the market now and dipping a few toes!

Constructive suggestion - write what you sell !

The majority of people don't follow links etc. Put down in writing what is your business.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Beach Hut said:
Constructive suggestion - write what you sell !

The majority of people don't follow links etc. Put down in writing what is your business.

Thanks Beachy .... taken on board ... will rethink front page

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
On the Left Wing said:
Thanks ... I'll deal with it ... seriously thanks MYOB!

No problem. Its just one thing that hits me personally as unprofessional on any site that uses is (Sky, etc included). I doubt a huge amount of other people object, but I know for a fact that old versions of Links, Arachne and W3M would die on the </banner> tag at the end and stop rendering, hence stopping the voice controller from reading the page for a blind person.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
MYOB said:
No problem. Its just one thing that hits me personally as unprofessional on any site that uses is (Sky, etc included). I doubt a huge amount of other people object, but I know for a fact that old versions of Links, Arachne and W3M would die on the </banner> tag at the end and stop rendering, hence stopping the voice controller from reading the page for a blind person.

With DDA and everything I am trying to address that is really important ... as is Beach's comment which is something I shoud have seen as a PR professional, but almost too obvious to notice!

Cheers guys

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
OK - so what about marketing, the web won't sell you on its own.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The DDA is a pain in the arse for web designers because it pretty much limits us to using pure HTML 4.01 Transitional, which makes the pages big - normally a big site uses XHTML, where you have the page and a CSS file - the CSS file comes down once per session, even if you look at 10,000 pages in that session. Saves bandwidth and makes your site faster

Lynx, Arachne, etc don't support CSS.

I've done sites with CSS that passed the software verification fine, but you're limited. Too many websites are built in Frontpage and targeted at IE - IE's market share is collapsing...

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Beach Hut said:
OK - so what about marketing, the web won't sell you on its own.

I have a cunning plan ... marketing strategy has been developed (still being developed!) and kicks in at the end of the month .. part of it is a 600 plus mail shot and two major North east events .... at the moment the website is my concern because despite a good IT background it is an area I have never dealt with before!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
On the Left Wing said:
I have a cunning plan ... marketing strategy has been developed (still being developed!) and kicks in at the end of the month .. part of it is a 600 plus mail shot and two major North east events .... at the moment the website is my concern because despite a good IT background it is an area I have never dealt with before!

I work for a huge corporate company called Atos Origin and time and time again they miss their market by a mile. However at other times they are spot on.

Very tricky business - might require paying for expertise ?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
MYOB said:
The DDA is a pain in the arse for web designers because it pretty much limits us to using pure HTML 4.01 Transitional, which makes the pages big - normally a big site uses XHTML, where you have the page and a CSS file - the CSS file comes down once per session, even if you look at 10,000 pages in that session. Saves bandwidth and makes your site faster

Lynx, Arachne, etc don't support CSS.

I've done sites with CSS that passed the software verification fine, but you're limited. Too many websites are built in Frontpage and targeted at IE - IE's market share is collapsing...

oops .. sorry MYOB that flew thee miles over my head. I get the gist, but unsure how close I have come to meeting the need - my starting point was minimum 11point sans serif text (Arial or Century Gothic) and double space paragraph leading.

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Beach Hut said:
I work for a huge corporate company called Atos Origin and time and time again they miss their market by a mile. However at other times they are spot on.

Very tricky business - might require paying for expertise ?

and your company number and wesbite is???

:D :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here