Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weakest squad in the championship

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
say we are currently 9m in debt and falmer cost 21m min that is 30m debt with added interest. After 10 year debt could be 40m:nono:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Looking at the current state of the team i think lg 1 is a real threat Yorkie - not there level of slill in question - everyones else squad is better

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Normandy seagull said:
say we are currently 9m in debt and falmer cost 21m min that is 30m debt with added interest. After 10 year debt could be 40m:nono:

Great so we go bankrupt and do what Leicester and Leeds have done.

No problem

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Normandy seagull said:

the cost would be payed for by investors, wanting their tag plastered all over the stadium so we would'nt see much of that debt. As for "Darlington", eh? who cares? we are blessed with Championship status at the moment as we are playing well above our natural ground. As I stated earlier, we started in Div 3 and as long as we get Falmer then it wont matter if thats where we'll be when we start again...its all about rebuilding the foundations for a well supported club, you gotta start somewhere and right now we'd take ANYWHERE as a starting point. (ok maybe not unibond south div 5! )

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
lizard said:
It's not great but i think there are a few weaker.
Luton, Crewe, Millwall, Watford..................
As long as we finish with three below us it's not really a problem.
I'm more concerned with the ground.

Luton walked the league last year and have a good side
crewe have 5 decent forwards
millwall still have a good young side
watford have money to spend

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Worst squad by a mile at the moment i would say.It dosnt matter if we got a billion for Harding it dosnt matter a f@ck if it isnt going back into the team

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Check out the Burnley squad if you think ours is the weakest. According to their website they only have 16 first team players and one of those is out on loan so just 15 first teamers with 9 days to go before the start of the season. To be fair they have half a dozen fairly decent players but a few injuries and they will be shafted. Our first team squad of 21 not including Blayney, Fish, Berthe and a couple of other expected signings looks fairly good compared to some in the championship.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Not panicking yet, although a bit concerned, ask me again at Christmas (or after Derby if we are tonked out of sight).

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
im not panicing yet as playing new players in different positions in the team can take a little time to adjust to. but admittedly the last 2 results against colchester and oxford have been slightly concerning. also fish didnt play and im fairly sure he would shore up the defence a little bit. he is only 31 and i can remember a certain manchester united were very intrested in him.

Last edited:

KinkyGoebels said:
This squad is a lot worse than the one that just about stayed up last year

Nonsense - we've lost one forward Virgo, replaced by two forwards Kazza and El Turi. Better I'd say.

We've lost one defender Harding, replaced by Dodd. Maybe a slight step backwards, but a small one given Harding's mind wandering a bit last season at times.

All the other ones we have lost are bit-part players.

And we will have probably 3 or 4 new signings as McGhee spends the money CAREFULLY. His timetable is the first month, not the first week of the season, he's said that over and over again.

We are still on course to have a much better squad than season.

Normandy seagull said:

The structure of stadium ownership will be a lot more complicated than that. The debt will be serviced by the stadium ownership company, of which we will be part of. The sky's the limit for revenues at Falmer, and this will service the debt.

Apr 10, 2005
Notts
King Cov look as shocking as us pre-season, Wednesday will be pants (again) & Watford & Millwall have been decimated up front. 20th place again this year!!!:smokin:

Normandy seagull said:
The debt for Falmer will be affordable and secured against the future earnings of the Club, spread over decades (just like a mortgage).

The debts at Withdean are simply repayable on demand.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
Nonsense - we've lost one forward Virgo, replaced by two forwards Kazza and El Turi. Better I'd say.

We've lost one defender Harding, replaced by Dodd. Maybe a slight step backwards, but a small one given Harding's mind wandering a bit last season at times.

All the other ones we have lost are bit-part players.

And we will have probably 3 or 4 new signings as McGhee spends the money CAREFULLY. His timetable is the first month, not the first week of the season, he's said that over and over again.

We are still on course to have a much better squad than season.

Hinsh is out till christmas
Cullip gone
Harding gone
Currie gone
Virgo (who you were creaming over last year) gone
Kuipers out - no replacement yet
El turi unproven

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We know it is going to be touch and go whether we have the weakest squad in the division. But as you can't actually measure it - who really cares.

The remaining players have one further years championship experience, and the younger players are getting better. There are question marks over a couple of the older players - Butters age, Dodds knees etc - but we still money to spend still on new players.

I am mildly optimistic about staying up - which is a lot better than I was at this stage last year (oh me of little faith).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The big plus this season will be the quality of football that we play as I believe MM is putting together a squad that can play rather than rely on counter attack. It is not complete and may not be for at least another month so the gamble is that we may have a shaky start. I assume the delay in signing players is to see what we were awarded for Harding before MM was given his final budget and his comments in today's Argus about the players he wants to get in is very positive. We appear to have a much better forward line and he is now going to address the midfield and defence. MM knows what he's doing and this thread title will prove to be bollocks :)

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Normandy seagull said:

I think you are being very coservative with your figures try doubling them!:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here