Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We tried to sign Elliott Bennett on loan

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
From a source I trust without question, in the last month we have enquired about the availability of Elliott Bennett. What happened as a result, I don't know, and my inside track probably didn't know either if we're honest but apparently Gus himself told the squad he had tried to get Bennett back in on loan. Whether that was meant as a kick up the back side for players like Buckley and LuaLua, or whether it's genuine is another matter.

Personally, I think Bennett is half of what we're lacking. He has pace, but technical ability as well and the ability to threaten from set pieces, which we all know is important and how we scored many a goal during the League 1 romping season.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Not surprising its FACT we were back in for Murray and have also signed Crofts again so....makes sense to me.

As Buzzer said its like Oceans 11 putting the boys back together for one last job.

As long as Gus doesnt start enquiring about Holroyd and Battipiedi

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We certainly need more midfielders....... Poyet has only signed SIX in just over a season.

There's nothing quite like hoarding midfielders, is there.

I think we must be close to breaching the new Financial Fair Play rules, maybe that's why there's been no striker signed? Can't find one who won't violate the rules maybe, need to move on one of the players Gus signed but has since discarded to free up the wages.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's nothing quite like hoarding midfielders, is there.

I think we must be close to breaching the new Financial Fair Play rules, maybe that's why there's been no striker signed? Can't find one who won't violate the rules maybe, need to move on one of the players Gus signed but has since discarded to free up the wages.

Poyet expressed surprise a few days ago that nobody had come in for Sparrow or Vincelot. You would have thought a League 1 team would want them.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Poyet expressed surprise a few days ago that nobody had come in for Sparrow or Vincelot. You would have thought a League 1 team would want them.

I don't think that's strictly true actually, it was pretty well reported on here that Crawley wanted Sparrow on the last day of the window, but it didn't happen. I would have thought they'd both want to leave if they're not going to have a hope of playing, and I'm sure there would be teams willing to sign them so there must be more to it. To be honest, I wouldn't be too suprised if it's financial...

What's Chris Wood doing these days?

Not scoring goals for Millwall!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Would be tasty to see EB line up with Bruno behind him on the right, what a pairing going forward and very handy tracking in defence too. The downside would be where to put Buckley who is that very rare animal - a speedy Albion player who can take on and beat defenders. Probably quicker than EB.

I thought EB might struggle to get a look in at Norwich when they brought in Snodgrass but understand that the latter hasn't really done that well. EB hasn't been starting every game but got a run out against Arsenal at the weekend. He looked very good tracking back into defensive positions but sadly only got few chances going forward and only delivered one decent ball into the box. He did get a good ovation when sub'd. I did wonder if he might wear the Albion stripes again soon.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I have it on good authority that Gus has made enquiries about the availability of both Chris McPhee and Mark Farrington in January while keeping close tabs on Richard Tiltman. I'll keep you posted.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If you consider that we lost Navarro, JFC, Noone and Sparrow - Bringing in Hammond, Crofts, Orlandi & Lopez evens the numbers. Dobbie is a forward.

Dobbie is an attacking midfielder/striker. That is certainly where he played for Blackpool. My comment is that after bringing in EIGHT attacking midfielders in such a short period of time you would have thought that we shouldn't need another. Then there is always Dicker and Sparrow to add to the mix.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sparrow still here and on the wage bill

And so is Forster-Caskey.

I have it on good authority that Gus has made enquiries about the availability of both Chris McPhee and Mark Farrington in January while keeping close tabs on Richard Tiltman. I'll keep you posted.

I've heard Mark Ormerod's name whispered in certain circles as well, keep your nose to the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here