Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We should be beating teams like Brighton

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Last night's Sunderland Echo

Now where have we heard those sentiments before?

We have nothing to fear

MARCUS STEWART says Sunderland need have no fears about cagey Brighton visiting the Stadium of Light this weekend.
And he believes that if the Black Cats find form tomorrow, then they simply will blow the Seagulls away.
He said; "We won't take Brighton lightly - they've got an excellent away record - and like a lot of teams that come to the Stadium of Light, they'll probably set out to make life difficult for us from the start.
"But I think that no-one in this division can live with us on our day and if we hit top form tomorrow we won't have a problem."
"We've had a good run recently which has carried us up the table and closer to where we want to be. Now we have to see this weekend's game against Brighton as a chance to improve further on that position.
"We have home advantage, the lads are buzzing after the away win earlier this week and hopefully we can make it two wins in a row tomorrow."

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
To be fair to him, the fairly reasonable and confident tone of what he said and the daft, cocky headline are pretty far apart.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
They will underestimate the mighty Albion at their cost.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Not heard us described as "cagey" before!

crap, inept, inert, exciting, vulnerable, attacking, disjointed, unlucky etc etc .... but never "cagey"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With their finances, stadium and average crowds they should be beating teams like Brighton. They do, unfortunately, have a total knob as a manager though and we have a tactical genius :)

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
at least he stood up to Roy Keane.

True, but that was only after Keane had pointed out to him that he was a knob as a manager :lol:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Icy Gull said:
True, but that was only after Keane had pointed out to him that he was a knob as a manager :lol:

Peter Reid, Howard Wilkinson, Mick McCarthy

or

Micky Adams, Steve Coppell, Mark McGhee

which three managers would you rather have had!!!!!??

JulioArca

Oct 29, 2004
I think everything he has said there is fair play to be honest i know you are doing well and have had a few good results but the reality is we should beat you tomorrow :smokin:

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
JulioArca

You're right, you SHOULD beat us tomorrow, given the resources, stadium squad etc.

However pretty much before or after every match, win lose or draw, the opposition reckon they should win/ should have won/should be beating teams like Brighton.

The reality is we should have lost to Leicester and Forest (both away) and Leeds (home), but we won all three.

All the time teams underestimate us, it suits us down to the ground. As long as it continues until we've got 50+ points, I shall be happy.

I shall be there tomorrow - have a good one yourself.

Cheers

StH

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sonic The Hedgehog said:
JulioArca

You're right, you SHOULD beat us tomorrow, given the resources, stadium squad etc.

However pretty much before or after every match, win lose or draw, the opposition reckon they should win/ should have won/should be beating teams like Brighton.

The reality is we should have lost to Leicester and Forest (both away) and Leeds (home), but we won all three.

All the time teams underestimate us, it suits us down to the ground. As long as it continues until we've got 50+ points, I shall be happy.

Cheers

StH

Fair point, but will you remember the game?:drink:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I t reminds me of the comments that Neil Warnock made on Sky when we played at Leicester - something along the lines of 'it's not if Leicester will win, but by how many they will score'

Recent history would suggest that Sunderland should beat us, but if things go our way, we know we can beat them, and the players will know that.

JulioArca

Oct 29, 2004
Sonic The Hedgehog said:
JulioArca

Cheers

Yeah fair point mate but we are alot stronger than Leeds, Forest and Leicester we will be the best side u have faced this season it will be a real test for you, the fact is we dont get beat at home and dont draw that many either, good luck though for Sat and the rest of the season mate

Last edited:

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Scoffers said:
I t reminds me of the comments that Neil Warnock made on Sky when we played at Leicester - something along the lines of 'it's not if Leicester will win, but by how many they will score'

Recent history would suggest that Sunderland should beat us, but if things go our way, we know we can beat them, and the players will know that.
Neil Warnock = :tosser:

larus

JulioArca said:
Sonic The Hedgehog said:
JulioArca

Cheers

Yeah fair point mate but we are alot stronger than Leeds, Forest and Leicester we will be the best side u have faced this season it will be a real test for you, the fact is we dont get beat at home and dont draw that many either, good luck though for Sat and the rest of the season mate

Cheers JulioArca.

Yes, you are favourites and you should be. We don't have any delusions of our place in this league. We know we aren't going to set the world alight, but most teams have found that we compete well with them. Only once have we been outclassed, and that was Wigan when our team was still gelling together at the beginning of the season.

As for being the best, sorry, that goes to Wigan so far. May change tomorrow, but they are still top and from what I've seen, deservedly so.

We can't sign the big money players, hell, we can't even sign little money players at the moment. We're out for survival, anything else is a bonus. If we lose, we'll still enjoy the game. If we win, we'll be going mental, so either way, we'll be OK.

When you come down here mate, you'll see what we mean.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season, you'll need it after we take your boys apart ;) .

JulioArca

Oct 29, 2004
larus said:
Cheers JulioArca.

Yes, you are favourites and you should be. We don't have any delusions of our place in this league. We know we aren't going to set the world alight, but most teams have found that we compete well with them. Only once have we been outclassed, and that was Wigan when our team was still gelling together at the beginning of the season.

As for being the best, sorry, that goes to Wigan so far. May change tomorrow, but they are still top and from what I've seen, deservedly so.

We can't sign the big money players, hell, we can't even sign little money players at the moment. We're out for survival, anything else is a bonus. If we lose, we'll still enjoy the game. If we win, we'll be going mental, so either way, we'll be OK.

When you come down here mate, you'll see what we mean.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season, you'll need it after we take your boys apart ;) .

Did not realise you had played Wigan they are looking good but you just worry what will happen if Ellington or Roberts gets an injury they dont seem to have a squad to cope with big injuries to key players like we have had to, anyway iam looking forward to seeing what your lot are all about i imagine they will scrap for everything, everyone coming up have a safe trip and if u can stay over enjoy the woman of Sunderland possibly the best in the country :clap:

JulioArca said:
if u can stay over enjoy the woman of Sunderland possibly the best in the country :clap:
There's only ONE?

:(

Even allowing for the well-known prediliction of Albion fans, that may not be enough.

Can't you ship a few more in from South Shields or somewhere?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here